1.    #1  
    All,

I have been using Mailshell.com for about a year now as a personal e-mail service. No connection to the company just an extremely satisfied customer. Used to use Yahoo.com but switched because Mailshell.com offers both POP and IMAP, more storage space, and multiple unlimited e-mail address, plus a personalized domain (e.g. yourdomain.com) that people can send mail to (e.g. bob@bob.com). Also has extremely sophisticated and easy to use spam filtering, and with multiple 'disposable' e-mail addresses you can protect yourself from spam forever. For example, go to a site that requires you to register an e-mail address for something -- you know you are probably going to get spammed if you do this. Lets say you're ordering from sprockets.com and they want your address. I simply make up an e-mail address like sprockets@mydomain.com. I still get any messages from sprockets.com sent to my domain and the e-mail address that I just made up on the fly (there are literally unlimited e-mail addresses you can make up anything @yourdomain.com) But the advantage to this is -- if you get spammed by sprockets.com, it's going to be going to sprockets@mydomain.com -- and you know that it was sprockets.com who sold your address. Furthermore, you can simply delete the address sprockets.com from your account, and instantly the spam is gone (or you can use the spam filters from mailshell).

They offer POP and IMAP access from anywhere on the net through either a web browser or any other POP / IMAP client like outlook and Eudora Web for the Palm.

What is even better, is another feature I stumbled upon today. This sort of simulates "push" e-mail (well kind of in a weak way). The site has a feature that allows you to receive notification when you have new mail, and it will tell you how many new messages you have. You can specify the interval for the site to notify you of new mail, AND you can specify a different e-mail address for this notification to go to. So, I have entered in my SPCS SMS e-mail address (yourSPCSphoneNumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com) -- now every time I have a new message waiting for me I get an SMS message telling me I've got new mail waiting.

I like this quite a bit better than Push for a couple of reasons: 1) if you get spammed you don't have spam getting pushed to your treo causing you to use up your KB faster. 2) You just get a brief message telling you that you have messages waiting, further conserving your KB, 3) You can control the interval for how many times per day you get notified, so that you're not getting X messages pushed to you every hour (I get a LOT of e-mail -- I don't want all of it pushed to me).

Another thing you can do with Mailshell.com which is way cool for those of you who want to set up push (keep in mind I have not done this or know a lot about push but this should in theory work). Mailshell.com allows you to make up any e-mail address that you want at your specific domain, as I had stated previously. Not only can you make up any e-mail address you want (e.g. bob-treo@bob.com, bob-work@bob.com, bob-home@bob.com, bob-wife@bob.com) but you can also specify where each of these addresses can further forward mail to. So, you can have colleagues (or your work e-mail autoforward) to bob-work@bob.com. You could alternately set up bob-treo@bob.com and have any mail going to that address instantly be forwarded to your push account or as an SMS message to your SPCS SMS e-mail address even. You could have bob-wife@bob.com get forwarded to your wife's e-mail address... etc... Of course, this option requires that you have other e-mail addresses out there that can be forwarded to (e.g. yahoo, or a corporate or academic mail address). What I do is have bob-wife@bob.com go to my wife's yahoo address and I am thinking about having another one bob-treo@bob.com go to my treo300 SMS address, or maybe set up push to have any messages to that address get pushed from my corporate mail.

Anyway, it's a very flexible and powerful service. I really like it. It is also CHEAP. It cost me about 4 bucks more per year than Yahoo did. I think they are around $35 bucks for the year, which is extremely reasonable given the huge amount of control they give you over your e-mail. I especially like the IMAP feature because then I can access to all the same mail and mail folders at work, at home, or even on my Treo 300. I love it.

Anyway, I encourage any of you to check it out. There are some interesting things you can do with your Treo 300 and your e-mail using this service. They are located at www.mailshell.com. Again not affiliated with the company at all, just a happy user.
    Sounds similar to mail.com. You have said you can use any domain you want i.e.bobs-wife@bob.com but don't you have to select from a list provided by them. I'm sure you can't use bobs-wife@microsoft.com.

Still sounds good though. When I used to have my own domain, I could make up any address I wanted and that's just what I did. I used the company name in the email address so I knew whare the spam is coming from.

I read somewhere that one of the PC mags set up an account at a service similar to mail.com and did not send any mail or give out the address. Withing 3 days they started getting unsolicited mail.

Are you sure your not getting any spam ?
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by PCMusician
    Sounds similar to mail.com. You have said you can use any domain you want i.e.bobs-wife@bob.com but don't you have to select from a list provided by them. I'm sure you can't use bobs-wife@microsoft.com.

Still sounds good though. When I used to have my own domain, I could make up any address I wanted and that's just what I did. I used the company name in the email address so I knew whare the spam is coming from.

I read somewhere that one of the PC mags set up an account at a service similar to mail.com and did not send any mail or give out the address. Withing 3 days they started getting unsolicited mail.

Are you sure your not getting any spam ?
    Hi, yes you are correct you need to pick a domain that is not in use of course. So microsoft.com woud be out of the question. However, if you have a unique domain that is not already taken (say your last name is "Smoosheewiggins" or something like that, then you've got a good chance of getting the domain you want. Of course, that is the issue these days -- domains are in short supply).

Also, the other cool thing is that it will do domain forwarding. So say you've got your web page set up at some obscure URL for your cable or DSL ISP (e.g. http://members.att.net/~myusername) you can have www.smoosheewiggins.com forward users transparently to that site, so it's like having your own domain on a web page as well. This is included in the $35 per year total charge for the service.

In regards to getting spam -- I am getting ZERO spam since being a mailshell member. And, I don't use their spam filtering at all -- so if I was gettnig spam, it would get through. I *do* get spam on one of my old academic addresses, that I still have forward into mailshell. But I apply the spam filter to that and it kills about 99% of the spam coming through on that account as well. I plan on cancelling the academic address in a few months. If only I had mailshell back then I could have protected that address as well, but I do not need it any more. So to answer your question more directly -- any and all of the mydomain.com addresses I've setup with Mailshell do not get spam.

Now, if you are crazy -- and go out and post yourdomain.com to web sites, use it for ebay auctions, usenet, of course you are going to get spammed, because there are spam engines that comb these sites looking for e-mail addresses. This is why you need the disposable addresses. Set up an address like usenetdontspamme@yourdomain.com if you absolutely feel the need to post an e-mail address with your usenet postings. Then if and when a spammer catches this address and starts spamming it, you simply either add the spam filtering to this address, or you delete it and make a new one.

The premise is you always have one "protected" private address that you never give out except to trusted people, and then you have as many other addresses that you can make up for 'commercial' or 'public' use -- so if they get caught by spammers, you can re-assign them without having to cancel your one 'hidden' or 'good' e-mail address and tell all 400 of your friends and colleageus that you are cancelling your e-mail address again due to a huge amount of spam.

I'm not sure I've made this clear enough, go to the site and do some reading. I was kind of confused about how it worked at first too, but it works very well, and has some very cool 'side effects' as well (in that you can set up any e-mail address at your domain that you want to, and have them all sent to different locations, addresses, folders, etc).
    Of course, that is the issue these days -- domains are in short supply
    If you can't get a ".com" name, you can always try for some other extensions like: .net .us .biz .info .tv .org .ws .cc .bz.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by work_permit

If you can't get a ".com" name, you can always try for some other extensions like: .net .us .biz .info .tv .org .ws .cc .bz.
    I am not sure mailshell lets you do anything other than .com though -- but it would be worth a try and should in theory work.
    Sounds pretty good... think I'll read up this weekend because I get 800 unsolicited emails each month. My pop 3 situation is a disaster. If I could burn my spam I could head my house with it. Pacbel (#$%^##) let their email name list out about a year ago and the address I'm careful with was on it. The .com domain extension is fine although it will probably force me into bankruptcy
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by PCMusician
    Sounds pretty good... think I'll read up this weekend because I get 800 unsolicited emails each month. My pop 3 situation is a disaster. If I could burn my spam I could head my house with it. Pacbel (#$%^##) let their email name list out about a year ago and the address I'm careful with was on it. The .com domain extension is fine although it will probably force me into bankruptcy
    Why will the .com extension force you into bankruptcy?

By the way, anyone here using push with SPCS BC or otherwise?

I'm thinking about doing it just for fun. SPCS must have upgraded the network here in the DC Metro area because I never used to get a signal inside my building but I'm getting 4 bars strong as of today and yesterday (used to get zero) woohoo.
    first problem w/ mailshell: pop access is great, but using Eudora you can not use the smtp to send? What is up w/ that? For $35 I'd expect that to work.... Any workarounds?
    nobull
    wow, mailshell does look pretty great.
    coupla comments/questions

1) you can't use Eudora to send mail? that kinda kills mailshell, doesn't it?

2) do you know if you can set the forwarding filters to forward only the sender and subject of the email? Ideally, you could have the emails from known senders forwarded to your sms address, but since sms only takes 160 characters, it probably wouldn't work all that great.

Thanks!
    Can you use Eudora to send outbound emails or not?

How frequently can you set it up to check for new messages and notify you via sms email?

-Darkelf
    From Mailshell.com's help menu once you have service (note, didn't see this when I went through the FAQ before signing up...sort of misleading if you ask me...):

"Also note that if you use Mailshell's SMTP server, you must set your client to allow authentication, and that currently you cannot use this server with Eudora. If you use Eudora, please use your ISP's SMTP server instead."

So, there you go. There's this remote compose thing that I'm trying to figure out, but I'm not sure if that gets around this or not.

DoctorC, you've used this the most, anyway to use Eudora and Mailshell on our Treo's to SEND e-mail????

Thanks,
    nobull
  12.    #12  
    You can absolutely use Eudora with mailshell to send messages with. I have done it for over a month. The same way you use eudora to send and receive through yahoo or aby other service that requires smtp auth - which eudora suports. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $eudora$ $is$ $one$ $of$ $the$ $only$ $palm$ $mail$ $clients$ $that$ $suports$ $smtp$ $auth$ $at$ $this$ $time$. $It$ $works$ $great$ $and$ $I$ $can$ $send$ $no$ $problem$.
    Originally posted by nobull
    From Mailshell.com's help menu once you have service (note, didn't see this when I went through the FAQ before signing up...sort of misleading if you ask me...):

"Also note that if you use Mailshell's SMTP server, you must set your client to allow authentication, and that currently you cannot use this server with Eudora. If you use Eudora, please use your ISP's SMTP server instead."

So, there you go. There's this remote compose thing that I'm trying to figure out, but I'm not sure if that gets around this or not.

DoctorC, you've used this the most, anyway to use Eudora and Mailshell on our Treo's to SEND e-mail????

Thanks,
    nobull
    docC, please in detail explain how you got smtp.mailshell.com to work. I receive an error connecting to smtp, authorization failure. using username and password of mailshell account.
    thx
    nobull
    I am considering ordering a Treo 300, and I was looking for a way I could do "notification" without having to use Sprint's/Handspring's email service.

BTW, if you have a cable or DSL line with static IP, there is another very good solution to the mail thing: run your own server.

You can easily run a mail server of your own, provided you have a static IP, can keep your computer turned on 24/7 and your ISP doesn't block the traffic (even then, I imagine you could trick your ISP by simply telling the mail server and client to use a non-standard port). (BTW, if your ISP is too restrictive, you should look up Speakeasy.net--they're not cheap, but they specifically permit their DSL subscribers to run non-commercial web, email, game, etc. etc. servers from home, and will actually offer services to support such activities.)

I don't have a "dedicated" server, so I use Mercury for Windows as my email server program. It runs under pretty much all versions of Windows, is stable, consumes very little resources (no perceptible cpu hit and small memory footprint, yes I even play games on the machine with the email server running), will serve POP3 and IMAP and has great filtering support (I haven't had the opportunity to try the SMS "notification" workaround, which is a *great* idea, but in principle it should be easy to set Mercury up to provide this service.

Of course, since it's your email server, *you* decide what message lengths, maximum attachment sizes, inbox size, etc. should be, how many domains and email addresses you want. And Mercury is free, so your only cost will be registering the domains and the electricity for not turning off your computer at night (BTW, I use granitecanyon.com for free DNS service).

If this sounds complicated, it might be a little. But I'm a lawyer; if I can set it up by myself, probably most anyone can. :-)

(No affiliation to Mercury, granitecanyon.com or Speakeasy.)
    --invention is the mother of necessity
    Originally posted by nobull
    I receive an error connecting to smtp, authorization failure. using username and password of mailshell account.
    thx
    nobull
    Same here. I also noticed that the mailshell website specifically states that Eudora will not work with outgoing mail - however the info may be based on other / old versions.
    Originally posted by intractv

Same here. I also noticed that the mailshell website specifically states that Eudora will not work with outgoing mail - however the info may be based on other / old versions.
    Cripes! I just fixed it!

Here is what I did:

I went into the Options / Accounts dialog and selected the Mailshell account.

Under the Security tab I changed Authentication to Login instead of Best Available.

That did it.... I'm jumpin' for joy!
    I am currently beta testing netendeavors.net's SMS email notification system. I'm have my own domain, the mail server for which is hosted by a third party.

Netendeavors.net basically checks my email and sends me an SMS to my SMS address whenever there's a new email. The SMS displays the subject line and the sending user's email address.

It's pretty responsive and suits my specific needs in that I get an alert within 2 minutes of getting an email on the server and I get enough info to decide whether to hop on Eudora and download the messages. It's 'push' notification, followed by optional 'pull' download.

They are still working the bugs out (I'm sending them feedback), but right now it looks like a winner for me.

Nobull sent me an email (thanks, man) explaining that Mailshell.com's quickest check rate is every hour. That's too long for me, though the other features look pretty cool. Although if you have your own domain, any decent hosting service should allow you to make alias email addresses which are a great spam deterrant.

Anyway, bottom line: netendeavors.net's SMS notification is as close to Blackberry-style email that I can get on my Treo without periodic polling which drains too much juice and data. I like it alot and those guys know I'll pay for the service if it's zippy and consistant.

-Darkelf

ps Pay attention, Sprint. Good service, low cost=happy customers who pay.
    Interactv,

Sahweeeet! You did it man! Thanks a ton!

Working on mine now as well...

Nobull