1.    #1  
    Does anybody know whether you can dial into your own ISP, rather than using PCS Vison for your data services? This could eventually save a lot of money in the long run. I know that people are doing that with their Treo 270s.

Thanks!
    Well, for what its worth, I just tried "dialing into" my home ISP by creating a new network connection, using my username & password, The "wireless modem" connection choice, and one of their dialup lines. I was able to connect and browse through blazer.

Of course, I don't know how sprint charges me for this connection. It may count against "wireless web" minutes (which I don't have), my voice minutes, or my vision data.

One thing I am able to verify. It appears that when I use the normal "high speed" connection, I am going through a transparent proxy, but when I use the "wirleess modem", I'm not. So there definetly is some difference between these two connections
    i was informed by a sprint rep that whenever the phone is in data mode, it comes out of your monthly kb (when you are using your own isp you are in data mode). so you might as well use spint's connection seeing as how it's "always on".
    For what its worth, my "current usage" on sprintpcs.com showed me using wireless web minutes when I dialed into my isp.
    Originally posted by work_permit
    For what its worth, my "current usage" on sprintpcs.com showed me using wireless web minutes when I dialed into my isp.
    Ditto for me.
    Curious, but how are they charged? - I wonder if they will be converted to MB, OR if you have an allocation of WW minutes, OR if it is billed as if you dont have a WW account i.e. .40 a minute
    Curious, but how are they charged?
    Its all speculation at this point. I would guess that I'd be charged ww minutes @ $0.40/minute. I'll tell you when I get the bill
    don't you guys read the other posts before you post your own? if you dial into your own isp you will be charged according to the kilobytes (or megabytes ) you use just like if you used your vision connection. it will not come out of your minutes. whenever you are in data mode (ie dialing through yoiur isp or sending or receiving a fax) then again the sprint pcs csrs information is as consistent as my phone bil (not at al)... anyway i hope that helps.
    I can't see how sprint can charge by the kilobytes for regular CSD data. If they could, then carriers would have been charging by the kb a long time ago (more revenue for them). I think the most likely scenario is that you will be charged separately per minute or the minutes will be deducted from your "peak" talk time.

Originally posted by elcidroyale
    don't you guys read the other posts before you post your own? if you dial into your own isp you will be charged according to the kilobytes (or megabytes ) you use just like if you used your vision connection. it will not come out of your minutes. whenever you are in data mode (ie dialing through yoiur isp or sending or receiving a fax) then again the sprint pcs csrs information is as consistent as my phone bil (not at al)... anyway i hope that helps.
    what do you mean by "most likely scenario"? the information i got was from sprint pcs. does anyone have any info they received from sprint direcdtly stating that if you use your own isp through your treo it comes out of minutes? they said no -it comes out of your data.

I can't see how sprint can charge by the kilobytes for regular CSD data. If they could, then carriers would have been charging by the kb a long time ago (more revenue for them). I think the most likely scenario is that you will be charged separately per minute or the minutes will be deducted from your "peak" talk time.
    don't you guys read the other posts before you post your own? if you dial into your own isp you will be charged according to the kilobytes (or megabytes )

Then I wonder why my current usage shows wireless web usage for using my isp and wireless modem connection (of course it doesn't for normal 3g access).

the information i got was from sprint pcs
    Get it in writing. They may have misunderstood you. Or just been confused. It wouldn't be the first time. Then again, they could be rignt.
    don't you guys read the other posts before you post your own? if you dial into your own isp you will be charged according to the kilobytes (or megabytes )

Then I wonder why my current usage shows wireless web usage for using my isp and wireless modem connection (of course it doesn't for normal 3g access).

the information i got was from sprint pcs
    Get it in writing. They may have misunderstood you. Or just been confused. It wouldn't be the first time. Then again, they could be rignt.
    Man its gonna be soooo cool when the bills start coming in!!!!!!!
    I think the Sprint person that you speak with is confused. I do not have Sprint, but my GPRS service is measured by the kilobyte/MB and my CSD data minutes are deducted from the talk time.

Originally posted by elcidroyale
    what do you mean by "most likely scenario"? the information i got was from sprint pcs. does anyone have any info they received from sprint direcdtly stating that if you use your own isp through your treo it comes out of minutes? they said no -it comes out of your data.

I know this has been confirmed on other threads, but just for the record, my bill came in. I did get billed for wireless web minutes (@$0.39/minute )when I dialed into my ISP.
    Last edited by work_permit; 09/30/2002 at 06:44 PM.
    work permit is right. Whether you are on a Vision Plan or not, if you dial into any other data source (ISP, AOL, company server, etc.) you will be billed on a per minute basis. $ 0.39 per minute to be exact. It does NOT come out of your data minutes if you are on vision. It is considered Wireless Web and you will pay, period. My first bill had about $50 worth of charges as a result.