1.    #1  
    Does anyone know when the first device will appear with OS 5.0 and when it does, what benefits will it bring?
    Apparently the only benefits of OS 5 are it's support for Arm processors, higher resolution screens, 320 x 320, bluetooth and 802.11b networks and enhanced security.

Don't know of any dates though.
    If I read correctly, OS5 devices will have ARm chips yes , but they will not be able to run ARM code, they will emulate 4.1 code. Even with faster clock speeds, I wonder if OS5 will be faster at all. Everything else mentioned is available now, via hardware or software.
    I thought they could run ARM code, but that the apps would have to be recompiled with a different API then the current ones to get it to work.

The last I heard was that OS5 devices were supposed to be out in Q4, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    It seems to be a bit confusing.

"Despite this encouraging news, there is still room for improvement. OS 5 doesn't allow developers to write completely ARM-native applications, though they can include small bits of ARM code called ARMlets. The next version of the Palm OS, generally referred to as OS 6 though PalmSource hasn't officially given it a name, allows true ARM native apps. According to PalmSource, code that has been recompiled for ARM-based chips is 61 times faster on a 200 MHz ARM processor compared to a 33 MHz Dragonball one. "

Link