1.    #1  
    I am debating whether to get the Treo 300 or 270. After years with poor reception wherever I go with Sprint, I'm looking for a change. That is why I am looking to go with the Treo 270 with another provider. Can someone tell me which is better? I heard you can't even SMS correctly on Treo 300 right now. Can anybody get service with T-mobile or Voicestream in the SF Bay Area for the Treo 270? When are treos coming to Best Buy?

Thanks!
    I've never used any of the other services you mentioned, but I will say the reception for voice calls using the Treo 300 is better than any previous Sprint PCS phones. I have yet to lose a call or get static using my Treo 300 and I used to have dropped calls often with my old PCS phone.
    Depends on where you live. I had a 270 and then switched to a 300 because Cingular in San Francisco had poor reception and VoiceStream in Florida has lousy data access (network was down most of the time FOR ME). Sprint's reception is better in CA than Cingular at least for me. And Sprint's data network has been very reliable. But it really depends on where you plan on using the phone.
    The particulars of your area may be different, but in general Sprint is going to give you better reception than any GSM (i.e. treo 270) service provider. In general, I find Verizon gives the best coverage, followed by sprint, followed by the rest.

I'm not saying sprint is great. Just saying everyone else (except verizon) is worse
    Also note that the Treo 270 currently does not have GPRS capability (patch is yet to be released). Reading through the Treo 270 threads, most people are calling their own ISP's to get Internet connection. Voicestream says they have their GPRS network up and working - it is the phone that is not yet ready to use the GPRS Service.

If you travel overseas though, the Treo 270 is a GSM phone and you are able to use it in most areas of Europe and many areas in Asia.
    So I'm now the proud owner of a 270 on voicestream and a 300 on sprint, and i get a measely three days (thanks voicestream) to compare them head to head and decide whose service is better.

First impressions (havent taken the 270 outside my home yet):

Voicestream signal is much better inside my home (3-4 bars) compared to sprint (1-2) bars. Voicestream sound quality seems better...other person sounded very clear, whereas in my sprint conversations, the other person often comes in choppy, little silences here and there, and there are little blips of other conversations. I've had the 300 for more than a week now, and have taken it quite a few places with pretty much the same results...it is rarely above 2 bars...and for some reason it likes to jump...will show 4 bars one second, and 0 the next, then 2, and hover between 1 and 2. Very bizarre, i dont really understand how the signal can jump from full strength to no strength within seconds...

The polyphonic ringer on the 300 is nice...and it will be very nice once Ringo or TC Ringer is updated to support it.

300's screen seems to be smoother, i.e. dragging the stylus is wonderful, it just slides...the 270 has a stickier screen, doesnt slide as well, somewhat annoying.

300 displays time on top in the phone application, while the 270 simply displays the service provider.

And of course the differences that everyone's aware of, which i havent gotten a chance to try yet...high speed data access on the 300 vs. dialup only on the 270 and limited SMS on the 300 vs full SMS on the 270.

I'm gonna try to check that out, and am going to take them both into the city (chicago) tomorrow and saturday, which should prove interesting.
    I have had the 270 on Voicestream since the 270 was first released. When Sprint released Vision a couple of weeks ago, I purchased a 300 to see if I liked it better.

My initial working assumption is that I would get better coverage with the 300, albeit losing the international roaming that I do use on the 270.

Here are my unscientific findings:

Signal Strength:

I am in the Boston area in a very close in Suburb. In my house a Verizon phone will max (5 bars) signal strength. The Voicestream service gets a solid 3 to 4 bars. The 300 got 0 to 1 bar. EVen in the Sprint store about 6 miles from my house, my 270 got 5 bars while the 300 got only 3.

I traveled to NYC the day after I got the phone. In the NYC, the Voicestream 270 had consistently stronger signal strength. In my hotel room in mid-town I could not use the 300, no signal and I could easily use my 270.

I never found the Sprint phone to have a consistent 3 bars or more. ALmost always, the phone was in the 1 to 2 bar range no matter where I traveled.

Sound Quality:

The 300 did seem like it had a wider range of loudness settings than the 270, but the sound quality both on my end on the landline end was much better on the 270. I am assuming that this is a network, not phone issue.

Vision Service (2.5G)

I found that the always on aspect worked great even where the signal strength was lacking. However, I was very dissapointed in the speed on 300. As a test, I went to Sprint store in NYC with both my 270 and 300 in hand. I opened the browser and starting downloading a number of non-cached pages. To be fair, I first dialed into the VS data network. The 270 was either equal to the "high speed" 300 on almost every page or very slightly slower. I repeated this test a lot of times and places over the 10 days I had the Sprint phone, and never got the high speed Sprint promised.

Sprint Tech Support

Given the poor performance of the 300, I called Sprint tech support a number oif times and they seemed clueless.

Bottom Line

I had intended to make the 300 my everyday phone and keep the 270 for International travel. Instead, I returned the 300, cancelled the Sprint service, and I am awaiting GPRS on the 270.
    clogoodie and Simman

If you have any additional comparison comments/findings between the 300/SPCS service and 270/Voicestream service, please post them up. I am debating whether to get my wife a 270 versus 300. A couple of questions:

Simman: "To be fair, I first dialed into the VS data network." Does VS have its own data dial-in service, or did you need to have a separate ISP? From what I had been reading, I had thought that you must have your own ISP to get data service (until the 270 GPRS upgrade happens)

Secondly, I had read inthe Treo 270 newsgroup that the rumor is that Treo 270's were only available on the HS site and they were not currently available through the retail channels (which seems true since I have not been able to find the 270 in stock at Best Buys) since they were ready to upgrade aspects of the phone. I don't know if, given this rumor is true, the upgrade is the GPRS patch, or other changes since the units have had incidents of bad screens, rattling, etc. Did you get your units from Handspring? Have you heard anything regarding this?

Again, any further/future insights comparing the 300 and 270 would be much appreciated.
    ...and i don't know which it will be.

Service and call sound quality were the main reasons i wanted to compare the 270 and 300 head to head...and in 3 days of trying them out, there doesnt seem to be a clear cut wnner.

As i stated initially, the sound quality on the 270 is much better...conversations are clearer, less static...the signal strength is consistently higher than on the 300. This was true wherever i went, out here in the burbs, highway into chicago, chicago itself. Obviously, this is a network thing and has nothing to do with the Treo itself. So just based on providers network, i gotta go with Voicestream. However, i still got plenty of dropped calls with them...i think more than i've gotten on sprint. So my calls sound better on the 270 but they're dropped more...hmmmm

The stickiness of the 270's screen has gotten better with use...the 300 still feels smoother, but the difference is no longer drastic.

The 3G internet on Sprint is much much faster than dialing up on VS. Not exactly a surprise...havent really dont extensive tests, but pointing it to the main frame of www.okayplayer.com, the 300 finished downloading the page (300+ K) while the 270 had gotten about 90 K done. cnn.com (100 K) finished on the 300, while the 270 was at 25. Sorry i dont have times, cant find my stopwatch, and counting ' one-one thousand' didnt work too well : )

But this issue might be moot, becuase it looks like the U.S. GPRS patch is going to out sometime soon...I'm not going to try and install the Asia GPRS patch on a phone i might be returning.

That said, it is nice to be able to use your voice minutes to surf the web, esp cuz voicestream plans have unlimited weekends.
    You don't (and won't) get that option with the 300.

SMS is much more convenient on the 270 since you can compose from within a program, whereas on the 300 you have to go to a website (which blazer cant really handle)

Pricing looks like it will probably come out pretty similar. What i currently have on Sprint is 500 Anytime/4500 NW/8 MB/1 year contract for 69.99. If i switch to a 2 year contract, i can get 500 Any/4000 NW/8 MB for 54.99

Voicestream plan is the Get More: 600 Any/Unlim Weekends for 39.99. If i add 5 MB of istream that brings it up to 59.98, on a one-year contract.

I'm kinda wary of a 2 year contact....but if I'm spending 500 on the Treo, i better keep it for 2 years. And hell the cancellation fee is $150, so 10 months of saving 15 bucks a month will pay for that.

Then again, theres no other carrier to go to with the 300...on the 270 at least i can switch to Cingular or AT&T when the contracts up.

Decisions, decisions. For now, i'm gonna give voicestream a call and see if maybe they'll give me another day or two to make my mind up.

chemist -

yes i purchased it from Handspring. Have not seen the 270 (or the 300) for that matter at Best Buy. I do recall seeing an ad last sunday for Comp USA that had the 270 in it. Didn't bother looking into it, since their locations are quite far from me.

And i was dialing into my own ISP, i'm not quite sure of what Simman was referring to.
    I used the 270 for about two months...now have both.
    I agree with the posts on Sprint bars, though overall I have found the quality equal to or better than Cingular. However, given their service, anything is preferable to Cingular.
    The one missing feature on the 300 is the SMS found on the 270. That said, the keyboard is too small for any emails longer than a few sentences, so I've stuck with my BlackBerry 950.
    The Internet access on the 300 is superb. Fast, cleean.
    I've got to give up one soon. As of this moment, I'm leaning to keeping the 300.
    Man you must have reallyh big fingeres!. The keyboard on the 270 is more than adequate to write and essay or two.

Originally posted by sftreo
    I used the 270 for about two months...now have both.
    I agree with the posts on Sprint bars, though overall I have found the quality equal to or better than Cingular. However, given their service, anything is preferable to Cingular.
    The one missing feature on the 300 is the SMS found on the 270. That said, the keyboard is too small for any emails longer than a few sentences, so I've stuck with my BlackBerry 950.
    The Internet access on the 300 is superb. Fast, cleean.
    I've got to give up one soon. As of this moment, I'm leaning to keeping the 300.
    I ended up choosing to go with Voicestream and the 270...returned the 300 today (took over an hour at the Sprint store...i dont think they could be any less competant, slow-moving, or understaffed if they tried...but anyway).

Basically, what it came down to was signal strength (3-4 bars usually for voicestream vs 1-2 for sprint) and call sound quality (much clearer for voicestream vs lots of garbled speech and micro interruptions for sprint). In addition, i like the idea of being able to use dial-up on the 270 in case you run out of data, or are using too much...and with unlimited weekends (and unlimited nights for 5 bucks), you can actually afford to suft the internet on the damn thing. And finally, since its GSM and a only a one-year contract...i can move to AT&T or Cingular at the end of the one-year period, if i so desire. Couldn't really take the 300 anywhere else.

So once i add the 5 mb data plan and unlimited nights, my bill will be 65 a month...higher than i'd like, but in line with what i'd pay at sprint.

Adrian
    Treo 270 works on VoiceStream network and Cingular's GSM/GPRS networks. Cingular has limited coverage right now. VoiceStream network and hence Treo 270 are available for sunny California.
    Originally posted by clogoodie
    (and unlimited nights for 5 bucks)
    Unlimitted nights are $7 with T-Mobile. Sorry to nit-pick. :-)
    Originally posted by KRamsauer

Unlimitted nights are $7 with T-Mobile. Sorry to nit-pick. :-)
    Oh really? It was still VS here until September, so maybe they figured they could raise a few fees when they changed names...that sucks, but thanks for the heads up.

Adrian
    Originally posted by clogoodie

Oh really? It was still VS here until September, so maybe they figured they could raise a few fees when they changed names...that sucks, but thanks for the heads up.

Adrian
    VS has been owned by Deutsche Telekom for years now. They are only now demanding to actually be recognized as such by the public. Any and all plans you had when the company was called Voicestream are grandfathered in. I was not aware of an unlimitted nights option before, though.
    Picked up a flyer in July when i first started looking (still have it)...guess it was something they started in the Milwaukee market, and then expanded to Chicago. "Add unlimited nightlife to your plan for just $5.00 a month" 9 pm - 6:59 am, M thru fri, on all nationwide plans $35 and higher.

Guess i shoulda signed up then...

Adrian