1.    #1  
    Whenever I receive a voice mail notification or SMS message on my Treo 300 with the flip closed, I hear a squealing sound after the message alert tone. I think whatís happening is that the microphone is being switched on as the tone plays, and since with the flip closed the earpiece is right next to the mic I get feedback. If I disable the message tone I donít get the feedback, but of course I also donít get alerted to new messages. I still have the problem after a hard reset without restore, so I know itís not an issue with any software I installed. Is this happening to anybody else? Is there any work around?

Thanks for your advice.
    I have the same problem with my Treo. What you are hearing is "feedback". The same type you would hear with a regular stage mic and speakers that are too clse to each other. This is caused by the sound being looped from the speaker to the mic and back again. I am pretty sure that we all have heard it some time in our life.

I don't have a fix for the problem and Handspring claims that they have never heard of the problem until I told them about it last week. The email I received back says that they are researching the problem and will let me know what they find out. I am going to give them until Tuesday (holiday on monday) and then call them directly (inside contact

Anyone else having the same problem? The mroe people who claim the have this issue will escilate the problem...

homer
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for your reply. OK, so now what Iíd like to know is whether anyone is definitely _not_ having this problem. If anyone is absolutely certain that this problem doesnít affect their Treo 300, Iíd appreciate it if we could compare software versions, etc. to see if this is a bug in a particular software revision.

I tried letting Handspring know about this, but their tech support refused to deal with it, saying that Treo 300s were a Sprint product, and all support had to be handled by Sprint. Of course, Sprintís own tech support are completely clueless about Treo software issues. I spoke to a Handspring supervisor, and he told me that a lot of people were complaining about the no support from Handspring policy (gee, you think?!). At least Sprint told me that I could take the unit to a store and swap it for another one (if this is a problem only some Treos are having).b

Homer, if you want to let your inside contact at Handspring know about this, please do so, and if he gives you a fix please let us know. In my case, since my Treo & service plan are only a week old, my best bet may be to return them, and then either order another Treo or wait for some of the other phones coming out soon.

Best of luck with it,
    -Bram
    I know of about 30 people who all work for Sprint who are using Treos who do not have this problem. Mine is the only one? I thought this problem was related to my phone until I read your post. Do you know of others who are having the problem?

homer
    I DON'T work for sprint, and I'm not having this problem...could be some software glitch that turns on the mic at the wrong time?
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for your replies. What I've discovered is that this problem only seems to occur when then handset/speaker volumes are set to maximum, and when ringing volume is set to loud in ringer preferences. Even though you can only set these volumes on a call (and presumably they are only meant to affect calls), they seem to have an impact on either speaker or mic volume when the ringtone is playing, causing the feedback sound. People who have not experienced this problem may want to duplicate these settings and see if this is a general Treo bug or one limited to a few units.

I'd love to puzzle out the exact nature of this problem, but I'm still within my first 14 days, and I haven't cancelled my old Verizon service yet, so the best bet for me is probably to just return the Treo. Whether I order another one or not remains to be seen. I have no problem with a new hardware device being a little buggy, but the fact that Handspring is not providing any tech support (at least to the public) leaves me questioning whether patches, etc. will be made available. I think I'll wait another couple of months, let things shake out a bit at Sprint and see what some of the other webphones that are coming to market now (from other carriers) look like. It's a shame though, the form factor and feature set of the Treo made it my favorite, but a working cell phone and network are crucial for me and I can't really afford to be a beta tester.

I'll keep reading this board, though, so let me know if there is any resolution or new info.

Good luck,
    Bram
    The problem will happen only with polyphonic ringtones, since it is caused by feedback between the speaker and the mike. The polyphonic ringtones are played through the phone speaker, while the nonpolyphonic ringtones are played through another speaker, the same that is used for the alarm and for the system sounds. That's why some times some ringtones work while others do not in some phones: only one of the two speakers may be out of order. The gain (loudness) of the MIDI ringtones has to be set at "loud" for it to happen, and the lid must be closed too.
    Mine does that every once in a while but certainly not all the time. All my ringtones are polyphonic and the volume is always set to max. So if those are the causes, I don't know why it would be intermittent.
    Yes, it's true that it doesn't happen always with mine too, but it has a consistent pattern. For example, when it's the tone generated by TreoAlertMgr, even if polyphonic, the high pitch doesn't happen. With the tones generated by SMS messages and by TreoHelper, however, it always happens. The long musical polyphonic ringtones that I use for incoming calls seem to not generate the problem, but in reality they generate. I can hear the squealing sound on the background, covered by the loud polyphonic music.
    I stopped having the high pitch sound only once, and it was because of the speakerphone wire that passes through the lid hinge -- the wire was getting near to rupture. See a thread that I started on this topic.
    Originally posted by palbuquerque
    Yes, it's true that it doesn't happen always with mine too, but it has a consistent pattern. For example, when it's the tone generated by TreoAlertMgr, even if polyphonic, the high pitch doesn't happen. With the tones generated by SMS messages and by TreoHelper, however, it always happens. The long musical polyphonic ringtones that I use for incoming calls seem to not generate the problem, but in reality they generate. I can hear the squealing sound on the background, covered by the loud polyphonic music.
    I stopped having the high pitch sound only once, and it was because of the speakerphone wire that passes through the lid hinge -- the wire was getting near to rupture. See a thread that I started on this topic.
    I only notice it when I get a text message where the alert is a very basic one note beep. Even then it doesn't always do it. And it never does it for any other ringers or alerts.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I'm getting the same feedback when I receive a SMS/e-mail alert.
    No special ringers on my phone. I just returned my 300 to a Sprint store due to a faulty screen and received a brand new 300. The feedback has started with my new 300, no similar issues with my old 300.

Very annoying......Ahhh!!
    To verify if it was caused by acoustic feedback, I tested the Treo with a scotch tape blocking the little hole over the mike and also blocking the holes over the speakerphone. The high pitch almost entirely disappeared. It looks like, somehow, the mike is left on just after the ringtone is delivered, causing the feedback. It should never happen with SMS for example, so it's probably a firmware bug. :-P
    I don't think it's that big of a deal. It doesn't really bother me. I just get some funny looks when it does it with other people around.
    Originally posted by bram
    Whenever I receive a voice mail notification or SMS message on my Treo 300 with the flip closed, I hear a squealing sound after the message alert tone.
    This is old news. Check out THIS thread and HERE'S ANOTHER thread. Mine does it. No big deal, I'm used to it.

[edit] oops, didn't notice the dates, this thread is the original thread, but was dormant for over a year before resurrected
    David