1.    #1  
    Curious if anyone has anyone has any experience with the battery life of the Treo 300. Normal usage PDA phone etc.
    Thanks.
    My battery life is adequate. I charge it every day and i have found that a constant data connection probably sucks about 25% of my standby time away. I don't bother connecting now until I do my first email check.
    agreed. battery life is doing Ok for me but I think i still need to give it some time.
    Depends a lot on "normal" usage. One hour of talk, some web surfing, and your battery is done. I used to swap a battery once in a couple of days on my i300. Now, I recharge every night to play it safe. No big deal, much better than a ppc phone
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Battery life on this unit is just not adequate. I had a long support phone call yesterday morning, and my battery died around 3:00pm. Of course, if Sprint had shipped a car charger that actually worked, this wouldn't have been a problem. I've order two additional car chargers as well as two additional AC chargers.
    Originally posted by KKenna
    Battery life on this unit is just not adequate. I had a long support phone call yesterday morning, and my battery died around 3:00pm. Of course, if Sprint had shipped a car charger that actually worked, this wouldn't have been a problem. I've order two additional car chargers as well as two additional AC chargers.
    but you do not mention whether you were ALWAYS in a strong signal area or if the unit was roaming. Roaming eats battery, as the cell is transmitting more until it finds a pcs tower.

Gary
    roaming to what? I thought the treo basically works at 1900/cdma exlusively?

I do agree that fringe area eats up battery power
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    The Treo 300 only roams digitally (no analog capabilities). The problem is that I'm a heavy data user (Every time I look at my phone it seems to be syncing). On most days the battery makes it to the end of the day. Yesterday, I had one 45 minutes phone call and my battery was dead just a few hours later.
    The Treo 300 only roams digitally
    I think it only roams to to other 1900 mhz cdma networks. It won't roam to 800 mhz cdma. Besides Anchorage, some towns in Montana, and a few Canadian cities, where else is there another 1900 mhz cdma carrier besides sprint? I guess the old primeco network?
    I know Verizon is dual band digital and I thought one of their bands was 1900MHz... Can anyone confirm or deny?
    I thought most of verizon's cdma network was 800mhz, except for the old primeco network in chicago the bought. I could be wrong, I'd like to know myself
  12. jrv
    Originally posted by work_permit
    I do agree that fringe area eats up battery power
    There are two issues I can think of:

1. It is my understanding that CDMA requires that all signals from phones have the same strength at the tower. A phone far from a tower has to broadcast with greater power, draining the battery quicker.

2. A phone far from a tower is more likely to "hear" some other tower more strongly and switch as you move around. Each tower switch presumably involves quite a bit of chatter between tower and phone. In a marginal area the phone may be switching towers all day long.

I seem to get about 3 days on my Treo 300, but since I hook it up each morning to sync and let it sit while reading mail, it never seems to need deliberate charging. My Kyocera QCP-6035 got nearly 5 days, but it has no proper backlight. I only talk about 15 minutes per day on the phone.
    There are a lot of 1900 MHz CDMA carriers. They differ from market to markety. They include Verizon (in Florida...old PrimeCo), Cricket, Northcoast PCS and others. Normally, many of these local CDMA carriers are far down on the PRL but if they are the only ones available, like with a single band phone, your phone will pick them up. While roaming there, your battery life should be equivalent to Sprint. The only real suck is the search to find roaming. The phone does stop searching after a while, to conserve battery power. It then checks every once in a while for a signal under these circumstances.