1.    #1  
    Does anyone know a reason why you cant or shouldnt update the Treo 300 with OS 4.1? I was thinking about doing so but thought I would at least ask before I gave that one a shot.

Thanks,
    Pete
    Originally posted by zflyr
    Does anyone know a reason why you cant or shouldnt update the Treo 300 with OS 4.1? I was thinking about doing so but thought I would at least ask before I gave that one a shot.

Thanks,
    Pete
    DON'T DO IT!!!
    Originally posted by darnell

DON'T DO IT!!!

WHY ???? (because it is not a Flash ROM or what ???)
    I guess you've never owned a product from HandSpring before. Basically Handspring gets the PalmOS from Palm, but then they customize it for their hardware. You are not suppose to be able to change the OS on the handheld at all. Because the ROM is usually Read-Only (mask ROM) on Handspring devices.

You should not even change your Desktop software if Palm releases a new one. Until it is blessed by Handspring and/or Sprint (HandSpring usually releases their own custom version). And never use a copy of the desktop software other than the one on your CD, not even the same version from Palm's site.

This is not a bad thing. It's the customized ROM that gives HandSpring devices the features not available in other devices like Palm-Pilots.
    First thing is that I am not new to Palm.
    Second thing is that you can use Palm Desktop Software with your Handspring PDA (I use it !!)
    Your comment on the Fash update is true, but I had read in other threads on this forum that some Treos have Flash ROM built in (Handspring used them for their testing, I guess)
    If you use newer Palm Software, you need to trash OS updates beyond 3.5.2
    I think the point is that you are likely to lose functionality, particularly functionality of the phone and keyboard, if you upgrade the OS, because the Handspring OS is not just Palm 3.5, but Palm 3.5 plus a bunch of stuff, and the odds that you can preserve the stuff and make it work with the upgrade is small.

On the other hand, if you use JackFlash to upgrade and you back up first, you can always restore the OS. I suspect there will be many people interested in your success or failure, so if you do it, please document every step you took to make it work.
    First thing is that I am not new to Palm.
    Never thought you were new to using a Palm, but maybe a HandSpring device as I mentioned.

Second thing is that you can use Palm Desktop Software with your Handspring PDA (I use it !!)
    You may be able to, but usually HandSpring devices do not work with Palm Desktop software outside of the Palm Desktop software they provide. If Palm Desktop software other than the software provided with your device works for you that's wonderful.

Your comment on the Fash update is true, but I had read in other threads on this forum that some Treos have Flash ROM built in (Handspring used them for their testing, I guess)
    I'm just speaking from my experience with HandSpring devices, but I don't work for the company .
    Current versions of the Treo 300 probably all use flash ROM, as noted in Handspring's filings with the FCC. This may change in the future, but probably not until the second rev of the device, as Handspring will want to be able to resolve the bugs that are still left in the current version.
    blah
    Last edited by PerihJ; 08/28/2002 at 03:37 PM.
    Please do it and report how smoothly it went, or in the unlikely case it causes any problems, how bad they were
    Surely the question for treo users (as the only handspring device owners who can contemplate flashing the ROM) must be where, and how, handspring has incorporated the treo's "communicator" ability.

In an ideal world, handspring will only have added the odd app and a couple of files to palm's os and installed this on the rom to create 3.5.2H. I'm thinking about the DateBk+ app which is installed on the rom along with palms datebk app. Then you could backup the entire rom, flash the update, and restore these additional files.

However, I suspect that Handspring has modified the Palm OS files as well as adding a few apps to give them the Treo as we know it. If this true, even if you flash the rom with 4.1 you will probably not be able to get the phone (and keyboard as Preston also mentioned) working because the essential "modified" os files don't exist.

That said, if you knew which files these were, you could probably restore them over the 4.1 ROM from a backup you would have taken before starting out and see if it worked. The only thing is, did palm change the file as well as handspring in order to provide the new features of 4.1

If you've got the time, and are prepared to risk invalidating your warranty, go for. Document every step and see how you get on. If you're successful you will probably become very popular here on the board

All this aside. Is there anything in 4.1 that the Treo could benefit from? Being a VPL user I've not looked too closely, I just figurred that the only real "update" was VFS?
    Originally posted by IanP
    Is there anything in 4.1 that the Treo could benefit from? Being a VPL user I've not looked too closely, I just figurred that the only real "update" was VFS?
    ...and VFS doesn't add any benefit to a non-expandable device.

I think Jeff Hawkins once said that HSv3.5.x was essentially 4.x without VFS.

Handsprings extensions to the OS preclude updating it to Palms 4.1. Most of their prior OS versions were tweaked in areas like the SerialManager, USB implementations, etc. It was once explained to me that major hardware differences between a Handspring and Palm device (ie the Springboard slot on any Visor) almost always equate to modified OS routines.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...