1.    #1  
    I'm new in the PDA world and just recently purchased the Treo 90. So far I'm very happy with the 90.. However my cell phone is not one of the one's compatible with the 90 for use with the included browser. Would it still be possible to download internet news from any of the popular news sites and then hot-sync to the Treo? Would appreciate your suggestions...
    One word. AvantGo.

One URL: AvantGo.com

There are some other choices that people swear by but this is really simple and cool. It is the best reason own a PDA, in my opinion.
  3.    #3  
    KRamsauer.. THANKS a bunch! This is exactly what I was looking for!!!
    I'm using Avant Go as well. Some sites refuse to load onto the PDA, regardless of what I do to change file sizes, etc. Has this happened to anyone else?

...the site that won't load is the local paper www.ocregister.com
    (Orange County Register).

M

It is nice to get fantasy football news downloaded on the PDA though!
    AvantGo has outages, only some of which are listed on their site. Car & Driver and Road & Track are both apparently out. Yahoo News is screwed up. There are others. See

http://avantgo.com/support/mobile_support/cnw.html

Not all the ones that seem to be out are listed. In particular Road & Track. I get the feeling that page is rarely updated.

It is a bit annoying that Car & Driver -- highlighted on the channel page as a favorite -- is dead, and occupies 500K of your 2MB. Still, hard to complain when there is so much good stuff.
    Originally posted by tallmarvin
    I'm using Avant Go as well. Some sites refuse to load onto the PDA, regardless of what I do to change file sizes, etc. Has this happened to anyone else?

...the site that won't load is the local paper www.ocregister.com
    (Orange County Register).

M

It is nice to get fantasy football news downloaded on the PDA though!
    \

You are using OCR as a custom channel?

That front page looks pretty big and might be over avantgo's size limit for a page. Try not downloading images.

You may want to see if OCR has a text/wap/mobile version of it's site. New York Newsday doesn't advertise it, but I asked and they sent me a link. The New York Dailly news on the other hand, doesn't even respond with a no.

One other thing, if this is a custom channel, 8 other ppl might have beat you to it therefore not allowing you to download it too.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I think both Handstory and iSilo now have capabilities to do what Avantgo does. They're shareware though and Avantgo is free.
  8.    #8  
    Folks!
    I got my Treo 90 working with AvantGo.. and I checked all boxes with exception to Golf. Question is why don't I come close to the 2mb limit they allow??.. the total channels I have comes to less than 400Kb (Bloomberg, CBSmktwatch, BusinessWeekOnline).. no pages available for Mobile Entertainment, Sound and Vision, Womans Day and Car & Driver. My Info page says I have 11.2Mb of Free Space so memory is not the issue.

How can I get more channels? Thanks!
    Got to avantgo.com. Login on the bottom right hand corner. You can add channels here. The custom channels option lets you log in to almost any website.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks Kevin! It works!
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Felipe
    \

You are using OCR as a custom channel?

That front page looks pretty big and might be over avantgo's size limit for a page. Try not downloading images.

-----No images downloaded, but still no go.

One other thing, if this is a custom channel, 8 other ppl might have beat you to it therefore not allowing you to download it too.
    [/QUOTE

-----I'm not following, Felipe...what is it about 8 other ppl? Is that a limit set by the program?
    As a means of forcing channels to pay for avantgo access, there is an "eight free" limit - more than eight try to subscribe and avantgo wants the channel to pay royalties to avantgo.
    Thanks for the info. Guess that AvantGo blocks the ninth person onward then...I'll stick to the major national papers (I suppose a lot of folks in here that live in 'smaller' cities have run up against similar situations with their local papers).

M
    I think AG has upped their maximum free user limit to 1000. They got a lot of complaints when they limited it to 8.

If you're having trouble with AG not downloading files because they're too big, also check link depth. I think this is settable at the AG site as is chennel size, which you can increase. On your AG software on your Palm, go to the options menu. Setting your image size more primitive (or unchecking show images) may help. It can take some playing around to get a balance for your own needs.
    Originally posted by J. Kevin Wolfe
    I think both Handstory and iSilo now have capabilities to do what Avantgo does. They're shareware though and Avantgo is free.
    FYI: I read somewhere that the most recent version of isilo [3.2, I believe; about 2 weeks old] automatically reverts to a freebie after the trial period. Some features are then restricted, but I'm told it's still good for basic reading/navigation chores. Add always free desktop isiloX, and you can get any web page(s) desired. Gotta start the conversion manually via a tap or two, but pretty automated otherwise.
    . . . . . . isilo.com
    . . . . . . isiloX.com
    (Save the how-to pages at the isiloX site. Trust me!)

As regards diffs in the 2 shareware programs, can't copy fron HandStory and paste [into memo, whatever]-- the screen bounces up or back a page as soon as you touch it. No problem though with isilo.

Personal opinion: HandStory/trial is obnoxious-- hijacks the memo button without permission or warning, and screws with a slew of hotsync settings, also without warning. Easy to rectify via "custom" in HotSync manager, but irritating nonetheless. No such hassles with isilo.