1.    #1  
    Just curious how the reception is for everyone.

I noticed last night that when I placed my Treo on it's back on the counter of my kitchen, it went to no service. As soon as I stand it up vertically, I get 3 bars reception.

Now I understand how radio waves work so it makes sense the you get better reception when the antenna is vertical but would you expect that much difference (no service to 3 bars)?
    Originally posted by adamrogers

I noticed last night that when I placed my Treo on it's back on the counter of my kitchen, it went to no service. As soon as I stand it up vertically, I get 3 bars reception.

Now I understand how radio waves work so it makes sense the you get better reception when the antenna is vertical but would you expect that much difference (no service to 3 bars)?
    I've been finding that the reception on my Treo 300 is much better than my old Motorola CDMA (only) StarTac. I often get only one bar of reception, but it still sounds great.

I've noticed the exact same thing at times. But I have no clue why that happens.
    I have also noticed that at least in fringe reception areas, removing the metal stylus makes all the difference between being able to use the phone at all or not. Stylus in I'll get the red flashing light, remove stylus and within 10 seconds it will flash green. Maybe an all plastic stylus would have been a better idea?
    Originally posted by darnell

I've noticed the exact same thing at times. But I have no clue why that happens.
    It's called polarization. Laying on it's side and it was horizonatilly polarized, but it uses a probably a 1/4 wave whip for an antenna which is normally vertically polarized.

Gary
    Last edited by Gary G. Little; 08/29/2002 at 01:10 AM.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by Gary G. Little

It's called polarization. Laying on it's side and it was horizonatilly polarized, but it uses a probably a 1/4 wave for an antenna which is normally vertically polarized.

Gary
    Yeah.. I get that.. I just don't see why it's so dramatic with the Treo. From 3 bars to no service.

I have a Nextel phone that sits right next to it and it gets full service regardless of being horizontal or vertical.

Yeah.. I get that.. I just don't see why it's so dramatic with the Treo. From 3 bars to no service.

I have a Nextel phone that sits right next to it and it gets full service regardless of being horizontal or vertical.
    It could be the fact that the two phones are that close. One could very easily be picking up the IF of the other. Another thing to consider is, are both phones "looking" at the same cell tower?

Personally, I think that since Hand does not make cell phone transceivers, they use modules from manufacturers that do not make PDAs. Problems arrise when you try to put two RF emitters as close as they in a Treo shell. Handspring an emitter? Look at any electronic device ... you will see an FCC certification on it. Since HS could not get the physical separation they need to prevent RFI with the cell module most likely they "tuned" things and in the process desensitized the cell receiver. Thus -- NO SERVICE when the Nextel is showing lots of signal.

You might try *18/send and see what happens on the Treo. That does kind of a "Hey dummy I'm over here!"

Gary
    I've found the reception to be much better with the Treo 300. Yes, the signal strength bars vary greatly, but regardless of the number of bars, the sound quality has always been great. No breaks, no fading etc. I've had many other Sprint phones (5 that I can easily remember) and all had varying signal strength when placed side by side. Today, I was able to use the phone in a remote office that has never worked for any of my other sprint phones. The signal stregth was zero, no bars...but the call went through and was as clear as any other call.
    I agree wholeheartedly. The Treo has the best reception of any Sprint phone I've ever had.....and that includes the Qualcomm qcp2700 brick which has been the gold standard for reception.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by Gary G. Little

It could be the fact that the two phones are that close. One could very easily be picking up the IF of the other. Another thing to consider is, are both phones "looking" at the same cell tower?

Personally, I think that since Hand does not make cell phone transceivers, they use modules from manufacturers that do not make PDAs. Problems arrise when you try to put two RF emitters as close as they in a Treo shell. Handspring an emitter? Look at any electronic device ... you will see an FCC certification on it. Since HS could not get the physical separation they need to prevent RFI with the cell module most likely they "tuned" things and in the process desensitized the cell receiver. Thus -- NO SERVICE when the Nextel is showing lots of signal.

You might try *18/send and see what happens on the Treo. That does kind of a "Hey dummy I'm over here!"

Gary
    You're right.. I turned the Nextel phone off and I now get 2-3 bars consistently even when I put the phone down.

You're right.. I turned the Nextel phone off and I now get 2-3 bars consistently even when I put the phone down.
    Hey ... us old geezers do know a thing or two. Did I ever tell you about fixing a radio in Korea with a pencil and a piece of wire? Oh ... sorry ... geezeriness took over.

Gary

That's nothing.....MacGuyver and I built a bomb out of a toothpick and a stick of gum.....