1. ram
    I have a good old 8pm plan with sprint, which I dont wanna change...
    can I still get TREO 300 ? (sales rep says no)
    ra

-ram
    Hey, half of the benefit is the Web Browsing fun you can have on the Treo. You could probably pay a la carte at 0.02/kb, but it would be expensive. I would not waste my time getting a Treo if I could only use half of the features.
  3. ram
    nope - no a la carte option too. I was ready to pay 0.02$/kb. But for that I need to be on 3G network.

basically 9pm plan *sucks* - everyone's sleep by 9pm
    I've been trying to get a straight answer on that two. My angle was this:

Can I keep my sweet Free/Clear (retention) plan and use the treo with simply the wireless web.

For example: there are several phone that were out prior to 3G which used wireless web. Now that 3G is available, you can (but don't HAVE to switch to a 3G plan). Those phones, I beleive, can still log on using regular 2G (wireless web) data options.

Some people that I talk to say you can, others are sure that you can't. Most say, "Hey try it and you can always return it". Personally, I would like for THEM to try it so I don't have to go through that hassle (switching equipments, etc.).

I'm up in the air as to if I am going to try it... Someone on this board was able to log in through wireless web, and it counted toward wireless web minutes... the only curve would be if it only "pretended" to use wireless web, when in fact they will be hit up with the 2kb a la carte fee. I guess, we might know more after a full blling cycle.

Let me know if you find out one way or the other. I would love the phone, and really don't mind if the data is slower (I'd rather use minutes liberally then count K's all month!)
    Follow up:

I talked with 3G support and they say, NO, you can only use Treo with 3G. Of course, this was right after the regular CSR said that you could.

This would be the perfect solution for those of us willing to wait a little longer for downloads, but doesn't want to have to turn off images, etc to not run over in minutes.
  6. ram
    which would be a perfect solution ? or u meant "this would have been a perfect solution ?"
  7. ram
    I assume it applies not only to treo, but to all 3G phones ? (like N400 etc)

seems to me that we have to bite the bullet and move over to 9pm plans
    I bought the Treo 300 over the web, and called Sprint to change over my existing phone number. The woman I was talking to didn't know what the Treo was-- and tried to convince me it wasn't a legit sprint phone-- so when she finally figured out how to activate it, she surely wasn't pushing a 3G plan (and I wasn't about to ask). I assume, then, that I have my old plan (non-3G).

That said, I tried using Blazer, and it asked me if I wanted to enable data or something like that... I tapped yes, it registered me (and gave me a user name), and I can surf the web (I'm assuming at the $.02 rate-- we'll find out when I get my bill-- I've only tried it twice, just to see the bill).

So for now, I'd say that you CAN keep your old service AND browse the web-- but I just don't know how much it'll cost you. (I'll let you know...)
    I was able to activate my service under my old 2G plan. I had to call later to switch it over to a 3G plan. The phone activated fine, I just wasn't able to get on the web or use data access.

There are some posts here on how to get the phone to dialup and use wireless minutes the old fasioned way. Not sure if they work, I haven't tried it personally.
    You may need the Wireless CDMA modem connection, like the Samsung I300, to get circuit switched data to work on the Treo. I don't think you can just tell the Treo to dial in and connect to #2932 the way the older Palm phones did (I could be wrong....)
  11. ram
    yup, u are right.
    The rep told Samsung I300 can dial out but treo cannot.