1.    #1  
    I've been using the Treo and Palm OS for two months, so I am still a novice, but thought I would post my favorite software anyway.

Backup Buddy -- saved me the purchase price in aggravation at least once and will probably do so many times.

Vindigo -- very useful for travel to new cities, useful for addresses and movie times at home. Worth the price to me.

Avantgo -- great reading for airplanes or other times when you aren't connected to the web. Especially good for users whose web access is expensive. Free, at least to 2MB, which is plenty for me. Watch out for listed services that aren't functional, like Car and Driver.

Documents-to-Go -- this is expensive but it gives you MS Office functionality in one stable, easy to use program, including picture viewing, spreadsheet, word processing. I am testing Inbox to Go, which is ok so far but only supports one pop3 account.

Handy Shopper -- Truly great freeware. Initial input of data is a bit of pain, but I use constantly. Besides grocery and other shopping databases, I have a packing list (frequent traveller; actually use two separate lists, with and without rest of family), to do list for getting house ready for trips, even a list of videos that I might bring for my child.

Neocal -- pretty good scientific calculator. Don't have comparison, though.

MaTreo -- The price is right

Power Jog Dial -- makes the treo more useful one handed; I used this a lot at first, but less so now

TreoButton -- Easily set meaning of 4 buttons, plus shift + button

Chrome -- choose alternate colors. My intention was to try to make full daylight easier to view, but I haven't found an improvement. Still, I like the personalization.

Eudora -- supports HTML mail. I wish people would stop sending HTML mail, but since they continue to do so, what can one do? I don't use the browser.

Filez -- This is a terrific program for seeing what is going on behind the scenes.

Time Copy -- copies PC time to the Treo. I use a program to synchronize the PC clock, so I am rarely more than two seconds out of whack.

Hacks with X-Master (This is clearly the right hack controller):

Clock Pop -- find the time, battery status, etc. with one button

Switcheroo -- I use this all the time to go back and forth between applications. It is great.

Cell Plan -- Keep track of minutes used. Sort of: it seems to start counting at dialing, rather than at connection, which isn't what Voicestream does. Still, gives a rough idea of minutes used.

Still testing:

Xiino, don't know if I'll buy.

Planetarium, pretty cool, but occupies a lot of space for the amount I make use of it.
    Cell Plan -- Keep track of minutes used. Sort of: it seems to start counting at dialing, rather than at connection, which isn't what Voicestream does. Still, gives a rough idea of minutes used.
    From Voicestream's site: Calls timed from the time the wireless network begins to process the call (before the call rings or is answered) through the termination of the call.

Seems to me like it is correctly keeping track.
    And a URL to go along with the quote: http://www.voicestream.com/products/...ns/houston.asp
  4.    #4  
    Well, perhaps, but when calls fail, as data calls often do, Voicestream isn't charging me but Cell Plan adds a minute!

By the way, I like Big Clock, too.
    Preston, as a 1st-time Palm user, I appreciate your contributions. I've been trying to figure out how to delete a doc file on my 270, pushing every key and menu several times -finally did it with your Filez recommendation. Thanks for taking the time to share, teach.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  6.    #6  
    This board is where I got the tip myself.
  7.    #7  
    I also like PrefEd, which permits you to delete orphaned preferences left behind by programs that don't uninstall completely (includes Xiino!).

AsciiChart is useful if you need an ascii table, which I occasionally do. At one time I had a $ in my password and found myself in Europe, where this symbol wasn't on the keyboard. The solution was to submit the ascii character; this chart would have come in handy since no one around knew the control code. At 14K, the space cost is low and the program is free.

BigClock is what it says and does it well.

I removed Xiino, but I may go back and buy it if I encounter a lot of websites that require Javascript. It supports a modest level of JSJSJS $and$ $I$ $found$ $few$ $sites$ $that$ $rendered$ $properly$ $with$ $Xiino$ $because$ $of$ $JS$ -- $usually$ $if$ $they$ $have$ $JS$, $they$ $need$ $IE$ $5$ $or$ $above$. $Perhaps$ $if$ $Voicestream$ $GPRS$ $ever$ $comes$ $out$...