1.    #1  
    From time-to-time I will receive the following error message which will require me to do a hard rebot of my Treo:

DataMgr.c,Line:8589, Index out of range

Anyone have any idea what app may be causing it?
    Roger
    The most common culprit is the old AIM client. did you install then delete that? chances are you may have some artifacts. search the boards for that error and you should find some help.
    I have had the same problem and then it crashes and I need to do a hard reset (bummer).

Which AIM client are you talking about? The one on my Treo is the latest from AOL as far as I knew. I got the link from the Handspring web site....

Is there a way to get rid of the DataMgr error without the hard reset? It shows a reset button but it is unresponsive...
    Check the following info at Handsprings support page:

http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...sType=RESEARCH
    Originally posted by Stockexchanger
    I have had the same problem and then it crashes and I need to do a hard reset (bummer).

Which AIM client are you talking about? The one on my Treo is the latest from AOL as far as I knew. I got the link from the Handspring web site....
    I downloaded the one off of AOL's website last week and it gave me this darn problem and I had to hard-reset! AOL should take this virus of a PRC off of their web site!!
  6.    #6  
    So do we suspect for sure it is AOL? I check the HS support site, but I do not have a large number of records in my DB?

Is everyone who is experiencing this problem have AOL installed ? (I do)

I have also seen the problem during a BC synch? Do we all have BC installed?
    Roger
    I don't have AIM and have had the problem. There is another thread suggesting that it only occurs when charging with an inadequate charger (like the sprint car charger, which is apparently not as good as the handspring one) and using a data connection or SMS. That is consistent with my experience.
    I only have Avanttogo in my Treo!
    I found a way to get rid of this error without a hard rest!! The following thread provided the solution. I just tried it and it works. I installed the aim11.prc client and, boom, got the DataMgr.c error. Following the instructions below, I reinstalled AIM and it now doesn't crash!!

Note, however, that this seems to be a sporadic problem that can happen at any time.

Solution: follow these steps after you get this error (verbatim from the link below):

1. Soft reset, but before the Palm Logo appears press the rocker up.
    Wait a few seconds and then release. This is not a hard reset (which
    requires the power button to be pressed). This will reset the Palm
    without initializing each application (which is causing the problem,
    a normal reset will initialize each app and when AOL's IM is
    initialized it pukes).
    2. Remove the AOL IM application
    3. Do a real soft reset
    4. Re-instal AOL's IM

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/omnisky/message/15881
    Last edited by silverado; 09/03/2002 at 09:04 PM.
    Well, I had been running AIM regularily without the problem. This morning, however, I installed Treo Alert Manager. The moment I activiated the app I got the DataMgr error. I tried several soft resets all to no avail. Then I hard reset, several times. I finally got rid of the error by deleting everything from the backup folder. Now, I'm restoring them one by one to resolve the conflict. What a hassle.

Dunc
    you guys are right i first experienced the problem with the treo alert mgr it came up with the data error ran a hard reset same thing happened went into all my palm folders archives and backup removed it and did another hotsync it worked fine after that. same thing then happened to me with the aim 11 did the same thing removed files associated to it. did hot sync been working fine since
    Well, I got back up and running - without Treo Alert Manager and Aim. I tried to install Aim (as I had been using it extensively) pre installing Alert Manager, but now I seem to get the DataMgr exception everytime with it. Maybe I was lucky, previously, with AIM - but Alert Manager put the Kabosh on it...

Dunc
    From time to time, during the cradle HotSync, when the Business Connection conduit is syncing, I get the following, followed by a soft reset:
    DataMgr.c,Line:5964
    Invalid Unique ID passed

it doesn't happen all the time, just randomly, and when it happens, it's always during the desktop BC sync.

Any thoughts from the digerati out there? (certainly no one at Sprint will know)