1.    #1  
    Has anyone had a problem with getting a Fatal Alert / Battery Timer Failed (or something like it) when using the wireless mode with the car charger activated? It requires a Reset on screen and usually a hard reset when that freezes.

In general, I can't tell that the charger really is charging my phone when in the car.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, as the Treo 300 is useless without being able to recharge in the car while the phone is on.

Thanks.
    I get that error periodically when using the CLA...I'm pretty sure the phone is being charged, but the only way to get out of it is to do a soft reset of the device (then you have to turn the phone back on after the reset.) Not sure of the cause, and haven't called Sprint yet (this is still too new, and their customer service is pretty clueless still...I'll wait until the furor dies down).
    I've also gotten that error. I've also not called yet, not looking forward to being told to bring either the charger or Treo in. I wonder how common this problem is?

The exact error message I've gotten is "../src/Palm/HwrBattery68z328.c, Line:3355, Battery Timer stopped"

Anyone else gotten this from the car charger? Think it's going to be a flash rom update?
    same error. i actualy saw the error show up.. as soon as an sms msg arrived (While treo was being charged) it threw the error!.

since removing sms notifications (email) i have yet to receive any errors. in fact.. the error that occured above was so bad my treo would not even perform a 'HARD RESET'. the screen would just flash on/off on/off over and over... had to let the battery drain before it came back to life.!!!!!

sad indeed!!
    The problem is with the included car charger. It is shorted out internally and is generating a milliampere draw and charge cycle which forces the battery charge timer into a fatal exception fault.

I purchased a OEM handspring 270 car charger and havent had a problem since.

Its not a hardware or software issue with the Treo itself. Its purely a charger issue.

Pete
    Wow, I got the same error the other day too. I thought it had to do with me using the Treo Tools app (to turn off wireless at night to conserve battery, but it does not work with the Treo 300 yet). So I remove the software, and haven't had the same error againl. But then I have not plug the unit into the car charger since that date. So now you're saying it's the charger? Who do we need to contact and get a replacement? Sprint?? Handspring??
    I think this is purely a Sprint issue since the charger came bundled with the Sprint kit. Handsprings charger was probably a bit more expensive and I imagine Sprint went to a 3rd party provider so they could bundle it all together.

The Handspring OEM charger is quite different in overall design from the one that is included in the Sprint kit and the output voltages and milliamperes are also different. I have now used the new one on several occasions and have not had a single fatal error as of yet, but more important the battery is charging fully and performing right up to specifications.

Pete
    Any recommendation on a different CLA (and where to get it)? I'm not holding out a lot of hope of getting SPCS to send me a better one.
    I went to a local Cingular store and asked for a Treo 270 car charger. It works fine and no more fatal errors.

Pete
    If the bundled car chargers are defective, then the seller should replace it with a working one for free right? Maybe we all should contact the seller of our charger until they do a general recall. (Have not tried my yet and don't know if I want to.)

Who's to say that this is the only issue with the charger ?
    This fatal alert isn't limited to the car charger -- see my thread "HotSync cable connection intermittent -- need to spring for a cradle?".

Haven't had a problem with my car charger yet, but I use it very infrequently. Also, haven't tried it since I started noticing this problem with my "desktop" charger. I'll have to try that...
    And to add another wrinkle here, I glanced over at my device earlier today while it was in its cradle, and saw that same fatal error:
    "../src/Palm/HwrBattery68z328.c, Line:3355, Battery Timer stopped"
    I had never seen it before, neither with the original car charger that shipped, nor the replacement one sent out by Sprint.

I hope a non-recoverable reset is NOT in my future!
    Originally posted by nrosser
    And to add another wrinkle here, I glanced over at my device earlier today while it was in its cradle, and saw that same fatal error:
    I had never seen it before, neither with the original car charger that shipped, nor the replacement one sent out by Sprint.

Argh! So the cradle doesn't bestow immunity to this, huh? That certainly sucks...
    Originally posted by nrosser

I've been having the fatal alert "../src/Palm/HwrBattery68z328.c, Line:3355, Battery Timer stopped" 4 times in the past week on my old Treo 300. The first time it happened was with the car charger and upon reset I lost everything because it did a hard reset instead of a soft reset. After lot's of problem hot synching the data was finally restored. I then discovered that the charge connector on the phone was loose (floating around) and I had to hold the charge cable at a certain angle in order for the red charge LED to come on. The subsequent times I've gotten that fatal alert was on the home charger, which did not end up in a hard reset (thank God!). Both my car and home charger is what came with the phone when I purchased it so it is OEM to the best of my knowledge. I've since received a replacement Treo from Sprint due to to the loose connector.

It seems one common denominator for this fatal alert is that it happens only when the unit is under charge. I am wondering if you guys have a loose connector on your phone also? Could it be that the loose connector is causing intermiittent shorts internally which sets off the fatal alert?
    Last edited by newtreouser; 08/28/2003 at 05:40 AM.