Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello all,

I have an optonline account, and I can't seem to send emails on my Treo 300. I get some kind of 5.7.1 relaying not allowed Error. I have Eudora, and I've done a search on this board. It looks like the issue is with SMTP, but I'm not sure how to solve it. I read a post saying that I needed to go to the security tab in the accounts preferences section in Eudora and fix some of the SMTP settings. The problem is, when I click on server info, I get a message saying that the info is not available and that it may be downloading.

Can anybody here help me out? Thanks in advance!
    Like the rest of us, your ISP is probably not allowing outside SMTP connections, eventhough you know the ID/password.

You will have to get a 3rd party Pop e-mail service like Yahoo's in order to send mail.

I personally do not appreciate how Sprint sells the service. Because they mention that the Treo 300 is able to surf the web and send/receive e-mail. But Sprint does not provide an SMTP server to connect to when sending mail. With any other ISP, when signing up and they tell you they offer web and e-mail, don't you expect to be able to send e-mail via their servers?

I told Sprint about how upset I was and they gave me a free month of service.

To me its a bit of a misrepresentation of their service. Because on the Sprint PCS Vision plan page at http://www.pcsvision.com RIGHT THERE ON THE FRONT PAGE if you mouse over "Messaging" it says:
    Send and receive email and instant messages, or chat on select PCS Phones
    The Treo 300 is one of those phones.

And if you saw the PCS Messaging page at ( http://www.pcsvision.com/messaging.html ) on an ISP's web site you would feel they allowed you to use their servers to send e-mail. In fact if you had these problems when you signed up with your home ISP you would be pretty ticked! (more than you already are ) Because pages like http://www.pcsvision.com/messaging.html give you the feeling they will send the mail for you .

You are suppose to be able to use the Treo 300 to make phone calls, now what if Sprint said that you would have to connect to another provider to make calls? I feel that way about this e-mail issue!
    smtp.sprintpcs.com

This smtp server works for sending email from your Sprint email account. I have sent many emails this way.
    Originally posted by Brooose
    smtp.sprintpcs.com

This smtp server works for sending email from your Sprint email account. I have sent many emails this way.
    That only seems to work for you Brooose. Others try that and it does not work. I've tried that and it did not work for me either.

And even if it did work, Sprint does not tell anyone about that.
    I'm not sure why I am so lucky. It may be that I am using my pre-3G email account. Every time I have tried to set up an email account with my new 3G user name, i get error messages. When I use my old 2G account with Eudora and all of the settings I have posted before, it receives and sends mail flawlessly. I find it difficult to believe that Sprint set up a smtp server just for little old me. There must be authenticating problems for the new 3G accounts.
    But did Sprint tell you to do that? You discovered it worked (for you) on your own right? Which means Sprint is not offering this information, it just so happens to work for you. When I called Sprint and complained their only answer for me was "use webmail". Then they gave me a free month of service for my trouble.
    Sprint did not tell me anything. I read it all on alt.cellular.sprintpcs. There was a detailed post on how to set up your Sprint email using imap or pop servers and Outlook/Entourage or Eudora. Sprint has never been terribly forthcoming about how to set up third party software, or how to use Palm products that have their label on them. It's too bad, because I have found the service to be excellent. They just don't give you much info to help you set up. These boards and usenet have given me more useful info than any Sprint manual.
    By the way.....this post gives me 60....one up on you, Darnell!!
    By the way.....this post gives me 60....one up on you, Darnell!!
    Well you won't stay ahead for long .

Now we are even again...

I'm just waiting for the day an attorney buys a Treo 300 and is unable to send e-mail. I'm hoping they are so ticked that they take action against Sprint. Maybe then Sprint will only advertise services that they really do offer and know how to configure.
    Sprint PCS Vision does not offer e-mail -IMHO. What they offer is an open Internet connection and web based e-mail.
    They do mention that there are many 3rd party email solutions out there but do not say anything about how to set them up.

If they are giving you a new Vision User ID that is being presented (IMHO) as an email address, why would they not support accessing that account? Trying to access Sprint email using Blazer sure don't work. I guess their workaround is to forward all of your mail to Yahoo or Hotmail and then check it there. I use Entourage on my Mac to manage my Sprint accounts. It is much easier and uses fewer magabytes.
    I should also point out again that only my OLD 2G email works in Entourage. I cannot access my new Vision-ID'd email account that way, even though in theory I have the password. I get an "unable to authenticate" message.

Also see http://www.pcsvision.com/flash1/messaging.html

It shows a Flash demo of e-mail being sent and specifically states again the ability to send e-mail. It looks nothing like a connection to web based e-mail. But the only advice Sprint gives for sending e-mail via their service is web based. Otherwise you must buy your own POP mail service.

To me that is deceptive. I think every Treo 300 owner should be complaining directly to Sprint about this.

PCS Vision does not allow you to send e-mail. The POP e-mail service you pay for does. (That is for everyone except you Brooose.)

And yea Brooose why offer a PCS Vision account that looks like an e-mail address when you can't send and receive messages on your phone using it? Again more deception if you ask me...
    I can send e-mail with no problem.
    I have a new account, use Eudora and send to
    smtp.sprintpcs.com

The people at Sprint told me to use this for outbound mail
    Sprint did not tell me anything. I read it all on alt.cellular.sprintpcs. There was a detailed post on how to set up your Sprint email using imap or pop servers and Outlook/Entourage or Eudora. Sprint has never been terribly forthcoming about how to set up third party software, or how to use Palm products that have their label on them. It's too bad, because I have found the service to be excellent. They just don't give you much info to help you set up. These boards and usenet have given me more useful info than any Sprint manual.
    Do you happen to have a link to the detailed post you mentioned? Thanks
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Well this sure isn't intuitive .. but with little help from sprint and a lot of poking .. I did get email sending working fine.

I'm using Iambic Mail.

You need to sign up for SprintPCS Mail .. then use that as the default email account.

the smtp address is: smtp.sprintpcs.com .. and you also need to enable send authentication required.

Good Luck..

(I'm hoping w/patience ... Sprint will come around .. but of all the wireless users I have worked with this is truely the "Gang who couldn't shoot straight!)
    You need to sign up for SprintPCS Mail
    Where do you do that? Does it cost anything? I alreasy have my own external pop mail account, so I don't need it. Just curious
    So has anyone been able to use your PCS Vision ID which is an e-mail address and webmail enabled? Or do you need to sign up for another e-mail account?

When trying my PCS Vision ID and the associated mail information I was not able to get it to work in the past, but have not tried this week. I'm not sure if I should keep trying again with my PCS Vision account or try making another one.

And if it works with my PCS Vision account now I will know something has changed, because I used the same SMTP server before and it was not working for me....

Sure would be nice if they provided instructions for services they advertised .
    When trying my PCS Vision ID and the associated mail information I was not able to get it to work in the past, but have not tried this week. I'm not sure if I should keep trying again with my PCS Vision account or try making another one.
    It didn't work just now for me, but I haven't proactively "signed up" for an email account
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Going back on my previous remark "This isn't intuitive" is still on the mark .. I signed up w/Sprint email by getting a PCS Vision userid/password first. Then .. through some painfully slow clicks I signed up for email .. and received yet a 3rd password (one I use for my POP3/SMTP). All this was done via www.sprintpcs.com.

I don't believed I'm charged for anything ..

If someone is in a rush .. then Treo Mail is an easier option but only allows for 1 POP3 .. like many of us, I have more email addresses than I care to have.

.. hope this helps somebody ..

I have used Cingular, Verizon and AT&T .. but by far Sprint has the worst web presence of them all. I'm hoping they can only go in 1 direction (up).
    -Bob
    -Sprint Treo 650
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast