1. egg
    Does anyone know why the Treo 300 doesn't support sending SMS messages? Is it a limitation of CDMA, Sprint's implementation of CDMA, or the hardware? It seems unlikely, but could it even be an unfriendly business decision to get us to use our minutes faster?

If it is a technologocal limitation of CDMA or Sprint's implementation of it, any guesses whether current Treo 300's will be able to send SMS messages once the issue is worked out? Or will a new Sprint Treo come out in the fall or winter that enables sending SMS and all of us with Treo 300's will be SOL? Or is SMS simply a thing that only works with GSM and will stay that way? I really want a Treo 300, but this SMS limitation is really bugging me.

Thanks!
    Originally posted by egg
    Does anyone know why the Treo 300 doesn't support sending SMS messages? Is it a limitation of CDMA, Sprint's implementation of CDMA, or the hardware? It seems unlikely, but could it even be an unfriendly business decision to get us to use our minutes faster?

If it is a technologocal limitation of CDMA or Sprint's implementation of it, any guesses whether current Treo 300's will be able to send SMS messages once the issue is worked out? Or will a new Sprint Treo come out in the fall or winter that enables sending SMS and all of us with Treo 300's will be SOL? Or is SMS simply a thing that only works with GSM and will stay that way? I really want a Treo 300, but this SMS limitation is really bugging me.

Thanks!
    Does anyone know why the Treo 300 doesn't support sending SMS messages?
    - Because Sprint chose to implent outbound messaging via Wireless web. I'm sure they chose to do this in order to force cutomers to use minutes and then be primed to switch to 3G in order to not use up their minutes anymore. This does have its annoyances... but on the good side enables 1000 character message limits and web based management of your SMS (meaning you can send and receive SMS via the SprintPCS website instead of just being tied to your phone).

Is it a limitation of CDMA, Sprint's implementation of CDMA, or the hardware?

No, no and no. Sprint provides handset based SMS for the Virgin Mobile phones. So, they can do it... but for their own customers they chose browser based SMS.

It seems unlikely, but could it even be an unfriendly business decision to get us to use our minutes faster?

Bingo. I see pros and cons on both sides of the argument. Once you get used to browser based SMS, it's liveable. I especially like the 1000 character limit for business use. And being able to log into their website from any internet connection and check my SMS inbox and send SMS to any phone (even inter-carrier) is nice. Now, that doesn't mean there aren't times when I yearn to have my Nokia style SMS back from when I was on TDMA & GSM.

- Davoice
  3. egg
    Ow. Sprint sucks, eh? I don't want to have to go through a browser to a website, use up my minutes, and have to deal with all kinds of unnecessary steps just to send an SMS message. Not when SMS is so easy to use via other phones (like the Treo 270). This is a bad business decision if ever I've heard one. It seems to me that Sprint is ripping off Treo 300 customers. I only wish I could try out the SMS website so I could know how difficult or easy it is to use (and how time/money consuming) before I buy the phone. How long do you think it takes to send a short three sentence SMS message, from start to finish? Thanks for your great answer!
    I agree...
    With no 2 way SMS, Treo 300 feels crippled.
    Having 1000 characters limit over 160 word limit of GSM phones does not mean anything cause the receiving party should also have similar setup.
    Moreover if you get an SMS on Treo 300 it gives you a link of the web page where you can see the message, browse to that page and it is empty (or most of the time Blazer is not able to open the page at all)
  5. egg
    I did some more investigation, and this phone makes no sense for me.

I called Sprint to ask a few questions and was treated to their decidedly un-wonderful customer support. I asked why SMS was set up the way it was and I was told I would have to speak with "wireless support" (I thought that is where I was). I was transferred over and then found myself on hold for about 15 minutes before I gave up.

But I did learn something before that happened. I explained that I had no idea how to estimate what Vision plan I would need for data transfer because I didn't know whow much data is transferred upon a visit to a web page. The Sprint rep said that with 2MB of data, you can send or recieve approximately 150 emails, or view 30-35 images.

This didn't tell me how much data would be required each time I log onto the internet to retreive or send an SMS message. But it did tell me that 2MB of data do not go a long way. Considering how many images there are on a typical web page, it is obvious that 2MB of data will be eaten up FAST. The very example web page (CNN.com) Sprint uses on the outside of the Treo 300 box has 4 images in the small portion that is visible alone.

No wonder why the first three months of Vision service are free.... Customers will not know how much data they are actually transferring, and they won't be screaming about charges for unexpected overages. Tell me if I am wrong, but at $.02 per KB of excess data transfer, and at 1024 KB per MB, the cost for each excess MB would be $20.48. By the Sprint rep's own estaimte of 20-24 images per 2MB -- let's say 17 images/MB -- that's $1.20 per image!

If this is correct, and word got out how expensive Sprint's vision internet service is likely to cost, who would sign up for the service? Giving away three months of free service buys Sprint three months of early adopters who become locked into 12-month contracts who might otherwise abstain due to the impracticalities of the service.

I've been eagerly awaiting the Treo 300 for months. It is exciting technology. And as much I think Sprint rips off its customers, from my experience, their signal offers some of the best strength and coverage of any. It's too bad that now that the 300 is finally out, Sprint's implemention and pricing give me no choice but to wait for a better option. I'll be sticking with my current phone for now.
  6. egg
    oOops! I just noticed a mistake in the 5th paragraph above.... It should read "30 - 35 images per 2MB data". But you knew what I meant.... I stated it correctly the first time.

By the way, thanks for your responses above!

~egg
    If you were a heavy user of Wireless Web before, why not buy a larger bucket of data and fewer voice minutes? For me, I have 20 MB on my account and 2000 anytime minutes on 3 lines. The 20 MB are not shared (each of my phones has 20 MB), but the voice minutes are. We'll see how my Treo usage pans out, but I plan to make sure that 20 MB will be enough. The bottom line is that I am paying $20 less on my 3 lines than I was before. So how is Sprint ripping me off? The 3 months free was a good marketing move on Sprint's part. If you end up getting into a pattern where you use a lot of data, why should that be free or even cheap? Sprint is a business and as such, needs to make money to survive.

As an aside, I find it funny that people are all over Sprint for releasing 3G to the public before all of the kinks are worked out. They are the same people who would have whined if Sprint had waited longer, having delayed the initial release from July to August. Did you seriously expect everything to be perfect right away? My expectations were modest. I expected kinks and as such, now I am quite pleased with my service. It was a little touch and go at the beginning but now I am satisfied.

Sorry for the rant....I just needed to vent. I feel better now.