1.    #1  
    Hi--I was switching devices and an odd problem developed.

In the device in question (call it 680 #1), every SD card I put into it says "write protected." I have checked and rechecked the tabs. I've put the card in a USB card reader and tried to change attributes. I have also an extra 680. ALL the cards work fine (read/write) in 680-2. NONE of the cards work correctly in 680-1.

So the question becomes--what's going on with device #1--obviously it has developed some sort of problem. But is it fixable to anyone's knowledge?
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    Did you try to hard reset the phone first and see if you could write to it on clean OS?
  3.    #3  
    Suddenly, the problem just went away.

To answer the question--I reset the Treo several times, even did a hard reset once. The data restore in each instance however was via Resco Explorer.
  4.    #4  
    And now....were back.

I took the card out to put in a card reader, when I put it back in the device---suddenly it's read only according to the 680.

--The Card works normally in all other devices including a backup 680 that I have

Given that fact, I'm assuming this is some issue with my principal 680. Is there any solution or theory here besides the card slot in my 680 being defective and quirky?