1. kin
    Is there a replacement SMS program that works better than the built in one for the Treo 270? Or is the existing program the best there is?
  2. e-v
    please let me know.

Ilan
    so far as I can tell: nothing. There's FunSMS, but that is geared more towards use with a separate PDA and phone, and it's interface is a big big kludge. ...just be thankful that the one Handspring made is as good as it is, I guess.
    I saw one a few days back called MaxText at PalmGear.com. i am not sure if it will work with the Treo though. Have not tried it because I am satisfied with the buil-in SMS program. It supports SMS broadcasting and a bunch of other stuff. Do a search for it.
  5. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Maxtext is available at
    http://www.maxtext.net/

The current version is for external phones only, but when I emailed them to enquire after a Treo version the reply was an enthusiastic "YES".

Apparently they are already working on a Treo 180/270 GSM version, expected in October/November (subject to Handspring support and the usual caveats). A Treo 300 version is also being discussed.

They also said that "maxTEXT is intended to develop to a multi-platform tool where SMS is just one of many bearers like GPRS, UMTS and even 802.11" and that they are "highly interested" in all phone/PDA combos as part of their product strategy.

Might be worth an email to them to confirm that demand is out there?

(BTW, I have no connection with the authors, just happy to see 3rd party developer support for the Treo.)
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by septimus
    so far as I can tell: nothing. There's FunSMS, but that is geared more towards use with a separate PDA and phone, and it's interface is a big big kludge. ...just be thankful that the one Handspring made is as good as it is, I guess.
    My only "big" wish is a way to export SMS messages out to text - anyone know how to do that with the Treo SMS program?

Thanks.

Danita