1. jrv
    I'm trying to write a program on the PC that dumps the contents of the backed-up PhoneCallDB.PDB file. So far I can show the phone numbers, address book names, and duration of each call.

But, I cannot figure out how the starting time is encoded. I can see which bytes it must be, but the scale and "zero point" are mysterious. The Kyocera QCP-6035 used a count of seconds since 1/1/1904 but the Treo 300 is doing something different.
    Here's a link to a doc explaining the format:

http://www.handspring.com/developers...gDatabase1.pdf
    Originally posted by jrv
    I'm trying to write a program on the PC that dumps the contents of the backed-up PhoneCallDB.PDB file. So far I can show the phone numbers, address book names, and duration of each call.

But, I cannot figure out how the starting time is encoded. I can see which bytes it must be, but the scale and "zero point" are mysterious. The Kyocera QCP-6035 used a count of seconds since 1/1/1904 but the Treo 300 is doing something different.
    I'd be really interested in a conduit or something that could get that into pc readable format. Would be neat to be able to put it on a web page or something that's searchable
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    Oh, come-on! Hasn't anyone here found out how to convert the call database (PhoneCallDB.PDB on the PC) into a readable format, such as Excel? :-)
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Interesting. So the Call History does keep track of the duration of the call, yet it doesn't display that field when you look at the Call Details on the Treo. Why did they leave that field off? Anyone working on a hack or something to get that field displayed on the Treo?
    Jeff
    From another thread I started before I noticed this one...

I've heard people complain that the call log for the Treo doesn't keep track of length of calls. I just noticed that a seldom-used but very useful feature of Iambic's Agendus called 'Contact History' brings up all prior meetings/to-do's/phone calls to a contact and it includes the length of calls. The info is there, kind of surprizing that the phone app doesn't display the info.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Originally posted by msetzer
    From another thread I started before I noticed this one...
    I guess great minds think alike!
    Jeff
  8. jrv
    Originally posted by tcc
    Oh, come-on! Hasn't anyone here found out how to convert the call database (PhoneCallDB.PDB on the PC) into a readable format, such as Excel? :-)
    I can do that.

C:\src\ch>ch C:\PROGRA~1\HANDSP~1\VAN\BACKUP\PHONED~1.PDB
    O 10/31/2002 3:39pm 6m 7s +1 (716) 555-1212 George (W)
    x 10/31/2002 1:53pm 0s
    I 10/31/2002 11:24am 1m 2s (254) 555-2121 Buffy
    O 10/30/2002 3:12pm 1m 13s (512) 555-1122 Voicemail

Output as a CSV would be easy enough.
    Originally posted by jrv

I can do that.

C:\src\ch>ch C:\PROGRA~1\HANDSP~1\VAN\BACKUP\PHONED~1.PDB
    O 10/31/2002 3:39pm 6m 7s +1 (716) 555-1212 George (W)
    x 10/31/2002 1:53pm 0s
    I 10/31/2002 11:24am 1m 2s (254) 555-2121 Buffy
    O 10/30/2002 3:12pm 1m 13s (512) 555-1122 Voicemail

Output as a CSV would be easy enough.
    That was fast! How would a layperson using a Windows PC go about doing that? Would you need a linux box then? (Sorry for the layperson question)...
  10. jrv
    Originally posted by tcc

That was fast! How would a layperson using a Windows PC go about doing that? Would you need a linux box then? (Sorry for the layperson question)...
    I wrote the program in ANSI C a couple of months ago and it will run in Windows, unix or DOS wherever you compile it (it needs stdio). I've only compiled it for Windows so far because that's where HotSync leaves the backup copy of my call history.

I don't know how to write code that runs on the Palm itself.

It's not a GUI program - it runs in the DOS box. It's not worth the time to make a GUI thing out of it.

Is there somewhere on this site where I can upload the source and executable?

Someone wanted the ability to load the call history into a spreadsheet: I'll add CSV output to support that. I'll also add proper error handling; I wrote it for myself and right now it does "hacker's error reporting", i.e., it just crashes.

For those who can't navigate the DOS box it's probably possible to make a "Shortcut" that leaves the output in a known place for loading into a spreadsheet.
    Originally posted by jrv

It's not a GUI program - it runs in the DOS box. It's not worth the time to make a GUI thing out of it.

Someone wanted the ability to load the call history into a spreadsheet: I'll add CSV output to support that. I'll also add proper error handling; I wrote it for myself and right now it does "hacker's error reporting", i.e., it just crashes.

That sounds great. The fact that it runs on DOS still makes it accessible to many people. So is it safe to assume that the program outputs a "readable" list of calls from within DOS after the program is executed?

If that is the case, to get that output into Excel, one might do the following:

1. Copy and paste the output from DOS into a word processor
    2. Using the word processor's "Find and Replace" command, replace appropriate spaces in the list with comma or tabs. For example, one could replace anything with "/2002(space)" with "/2002(tab)".
    3. Import the newly tab or comma-delineated text file into Excel.

It would probably take 15 minutes or so of playing around in the word processor.

The question is where you could upload the source/executable. That I don't know, but perhaps Yahoo!'s free Briefcase service or Geocities? What have other people on the site been doing?

What did you mean by "it does 'hacker's error reporting', i.e., it just crashes"? That sounds intimidating.
  12. jrv
    Originally posted by tcc

If that is the case, to get that output into Excel, one might do the following: [...]
    It is easier to modify the program to output a CSV file directly, and I have already done so. The output now loads into Excel with no modification.

The question is where you could upload the source/executable. That I don't know, but perhaps Yahoo!'s free Briefcase service or Geocities? What have other people on the site been doing?

What did you mean by "it does 'hacker's error reporting', i.e., it just crashes"? That sounds intimidating.
    Error diagnosis and reporting is a lot of work to do right in most programs. A programmer will often skip it entirely and just let the program crash when writing for themselves; the "Application Error" box Windows puts up becomes the equivalent of the dash ***** light on most modern cars (i.e., ""something went wrong").

It now prints an error message if the PhoneCallDB file you specify is not found or is not a valid PhoneCallDB file. This is not an important issue since I am willing to add acceptable error checking.
    Sounds like your one step ahead. Hmm...so the question remains: where to upload the executable and/or source!
  14. jrv
    Originally posted by jrv

tcc has encouraged me to make this program public. He is using it to compare his bill to the Treo logs (looking for overbilling).

The source and executable (Windows DOS box) may be downloaded from http://bigtex.jrv.org/Treo-calldb/ for now.

Run it like this:

C:\src\treo-ch>ch "g:\Program Files\Handspring\van\Backup\PhoneCallDB.PDB"

This will output the Treo's log in a format that is easy to read.

If you want to load the data into an Excel spreadsheet use the -x switch, like this:

C:\src\treo-ch>ch -x PhoneCallDB.PDB > calldb.csv

The output will look like this:

11/13/2002 6:12:00 PM,32,3,0,"'5125551212","Voicemail"

which is start time, duration in seconds, call type (1 == incoming, 2 == missed, 3 == outgoing), roam flag, phone number, and Quick Dial name or address book name for that number.
    For those of you that are interested (and alittle technical experience), I have written a script (in Lua) that converts the Treo 600 Phone Call Log to a csv format for loading into Excel.

I am using this to produce an expense claim every month for work calls, for this reason it allows you to see outgoing calls (with non chargeable ones hidden). It is easy in the end of the script to see where this check is done if other criteria are required.

As the script is written in Lua it should be pretty easy for people to customise the script to their own needs.

The script is available from my home page: http://members.lycos.co.uk/martinkendall/

Regards

Martin
    Thanks to all for this thread. I've got a phonecalldb file that goes back four plus years to when I used a Treo 300 but the new 650 I just got is somehow replicating it so it takes up 6.1 M. I don't want to lose the data but I (obviously) don't need to carry four years of calls in my call log. Now I have a clean solution (two actually).

Adam
    .... or you could just try Treo Desktop. Downlaod from Treodesktop.com