Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've read many of the threads on here concerning email support on the new Treo 300 and I've also read both the Sprint and Handspring literature on their email products. It's still rather confusing to me. Here's what I want to do. I currently carry both a Sprint PCS cell phone and a RIM Blackberry wirless email PDA. I want to get rid of both and only carry ONE device (sound familiar?). I mean, when I get home every night, I feel like I've been carrying around a workmans toolbelt!

So, here's my question: I want to be able to have near-instant email delivery to the Treo 300. I can't wait 30 minutes to find out that someone sent me an email "page". Is this possible with any of the email applications - can the SMS messaging alert on the Treo generate an audible alarm? Putting it another way - can the Treo 300 really replace a Blackberry - as suggested in the May 23, 2002 review by The Wall Street Journal?

I don't want to have to "dial out" every minute or so just to see if I have email because I suspect that's marked as a phone call and you can imagine the cost!

Thanks in advance!

Stuart.
    I can honestly say that the Treo is a viable Blackberry replacement, depending on your e-mail situation (internet vs. firewall). I use the Treo and their e-mail product, Treo Mail which accounts for a delay of about 8 minutes on e-mail delivery. The Sprint e-mail product, which is a competitor to Treo Mail, had less delay but more complications (like having to leave your PC on 100% of the time). In any case, despite major activation problems, I'm now a convert. Good luck!
  3.    #3  
    Guess I should have read more of the past threads on this subject .

Apparently the BaseJet beta software works (for some Treo 300 users). It doesn't work for others (according to their support database).

Anybody have any realworld experiences to share about always-on email on the Treo 300?

Stuart.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by Billyc
    I can honestly say that the Treo is a viable Blackberry replacement, depending on your e-mail situation (internet vs. firewall). I use the Treo and their e-mail product, Treo Mail which accounts for a delay of about 8 minutes on e-mail delivery. The Sprint e-mail product, which is a competitor to Treo Mail, had less delay but more complications (like having to leave your PC on 100% of the time). In any case, despite major activation problems, I'm now a convert. Good luck!
    -----------
    Sounds promising.. several questions:

1) So Treo Mail can forward email from an existing POP3 account to your Treo within 8 minutes? I presume the Treo can then beep or vibrate to alert you (and keep doing so in case your not nearby at the time)?

2) Does Treo Mail require a smart client on your desktop PC that must always be on (Which is OK, as I have this setup).
    Basejet is working on the problem they're having with treo 300.

I'll say again that basejet has a better security model, one that is comparable to blackberry. Treomail and sprint bc is not as secure. For many users, thats not an issue, but for those people who need balckverry level security basejet is worth a look
  6. AJM
    I have had the Treo 300 for a week now and use both Eudora and TreoMail right now to check out the competing programs. My work email and my personal email (pop / smtp) are received on the Treo without a problem. Eudora allows you to add at least 2 if not more email accounts. Treo Mail only allows for 1 account. I am not sure about the time delay. The Treo signals that I have email (also can vibrate if you disable the sound).
    Originally posted by AJM
    The Treo signals that I have email (also can vibrate if you disable the sound).
    How 'bout his question as to whether it'll keep periodically beeping or buzzing you if, say, the phone's in its cradle and you're out of the room at the time of the original alert? Any on-screen indication (like the flashing light many devices have) if the clamshell is closed?
  8. AJM
    The display shows that you have email, missed a call, etc. I am not sure if the light changes color or anything. Also, not sure as to how long the message is displayed.
    SMS alert stays on your screen until you delete or acknowledge it. Thats about as obtrusive as you can get without being obnoxious.

Are you looking for something even more obvious?
    I have been using Eudora with my SprintPCS account. I have to check e-mail periodically but this is not counted as a phone call. It uses the sprint data network.

This combination is not a substitute for the blackberry because you have to "get mail". With the blackberry, you do not need to have a program running on your desktop PC to push your mail to you. It appears with the Treo 300, you must run a program on a desktop machine to get "pushed" e-mail (Treo Mail or Sprints solution).

Since I do not have an always on desktop machine, this is a problem for me.
  11. AJM
    Are you sure about that? I am sure that I get email whether or not my system is running.
    I have a Treo and a Blackberry, and the Blackberry messages aren't necessarily that quick to arrive. It depends on who runs your Blackberry enterprise server (assuming you are dealing with corporate Exchange email) and how often it crashes. The Blackberry isn't real great at accessing your corporate address list either. You either use your sync'd contacts or forward a message to an agent (such as Itrezzo) that does a lookup.

The Treo will read the corporate address list and you control the forwarding application. If you have a PC to forward your mail with great, if you are a laptop user and take the laptop home, then you need what I believe is the enterprise edition of the Business Connection.

Personally, I have a hard time talking to people and surfing the web on my Blackberry, but nothing on this planed seems to match the Blackberry's 3 weeks between charges. They are both great at what they do but I give the Treo the nod for flexibility. I seem to get my messages within 15 minutes of when they hit my email inbox. If somebody has a life or death email that will crash the universe if not delivered on time, they should call.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I did just this ! I turned my Blackberry off just 48 hours after receiving my Treo 300 (and I've been a Blackberry user since 1999). I don't think the interface is as well thought out for e-mail, but the BaseJet app (www.basejet.com) will be compatibble soon, so I'm not worried about the SprintBC quirks.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Regarding the question about alerts, I loaded TreoAlert and really like the program. If your Treo is closed and a message comes in it will keep beeping or vibrating (you chose which or both) at fixed intervals (you chose what the intervals are)
    Originally posted by KKenna
    I did just this ! I turned my Blackberry off just 48 hours after receiving my Treo 300 (and I've been a Blackberry user since 1999). I don't think the interface is as well thought out for e-mail, but the BaseJet app (www.basejet.com) will be compatibble soon, so I'm not worried about the SprintBC quirks.
    I just started with Sprint Business connect... it works great! Messages seem to come in about 30 seconds after blackberry (blackberry software is enterprise edition on server.. sprint bc is on dektop)

I also have it set to PUSH!

Plus, being able to access corporate directory I can't do with blackberry... and to be able to access documents (on the web) I can't do with our Microsoft Outlook online thing...

Setup was easy and flawless... Amazing Sprint has something that works right the 1st time! (I am STILL waiting to see vision services on the website).

I HIGHLY reccomend Business Connection.

Mike
    Originally posted by MikeRadio

Setup was easy and flawless... Amazing Sprint has something that works right the 1st time! (I am STILL waiting to see vision services on the website).

I HIGHLY reccomend Business Connection.

Mike
    Mike,

That's becuase no part of this was developed or implemented by Sprint itself. It's a product of SEVEN Networks.

http://www.seven.com/main.jsp?menu=p...=over&sub=pers

If you like Business Connect, you might want to check out SEVEN's competitor - LoudPC.
    http://www.loudpc.com/index.htm

LoudPC's pricing is exactly the same as Sprint's and can be accessed from any carrier's network. I have used them both and LoudPC's client is far superior in many aspects to SEVEN's (Business Connection). For example, Business Connect Personal Edition cannot read the contents of mail folders within your inbox - you can only read what is in the inbox, sent and deleted items. LoudPC can read any folder or item in your mailbox. LoudPC also have much better handling of attachments and their document interface is far superior.

And to top it off, LoudPC is also compatible with Outlook Express - so those who don't use Outlook have another option.

- Davoice
    Originally posted by work_permit
    SMS alert stays on your screen until you delete or acknowledge it.
    Do you mean it keeps the screen on until you acknowledge it? Doesn't sound very good for battery life.

Or do you mean that next time you turn on the screen you'll see it? In that case, continually re-checking the screen after every time you've been away from the device becomes necessary, which is a bit of a pain.

Are you looking for something even more obvious?
    The blinking LED approach is ideal. I take it the Treo doesn't use its LED for this purpose?
    I'm currently trialing Aileron (from corsoft - www.corsoft.net). They have a corporate server version, a desktop PC version, and a Pop3 version. Since I'm a consultant, and usually have my PC with me, I'm using the pop3 version. This goes out to as many as 6 different pop3/IMAP servers, and pulls the emails down to the Treo. You can set it up so that it goes out and pulls the emails down periodically (as little as every 5 minutes). The only problem I've found so far is that when you close the Treo (or hit the power button to make it go to "sleep"), it won't wake the Treo up to go out and pull down emails. They are apparently working on an upgrade for that. Aileron will pull down just the headers, or the headers and the body of the message. Then, if you want to read attachments, as long as they are 65KB or less, you can go retrieve those as well (to be read with Documents-to-go, or Blazer, or whatever doc reader you have). And, they've been very responsive with customer support (email)...I've gotten replies within a couple of hours, with suggestions and fixes for issues I've seen. And, they only charge $49.95 for a year of service!
    Attachment support is important for all these emails apps but the bottom line for most businesses is to have a solution you can deploy on many devices. Most organizations have several different needs where some folks pick up mail from a phone and others from a pda and some from their laptop. The winners in this space will have to be able to offer good services on all the platforms and there will be many casualties from those who dont.

There is no way many of the email services can survive on the tiny $50 and $100 pa charges without a huge userbase.

I suspect that the terrain for mobile email will look very different next year. Some may offer a great experience right now on some platforms like Treo but need corporate $$$ to keep going.

I wonder about attachment suport too with the limited device memory on PDAs - is it better to get a limited preview of the file stripped of formatting to save on bandwidth costs or is it worth getting the whole file so you can forward it. I suggest that there should be a combination - you get the stripped down version to your handheld so you can preview it but then you can forward the real larger version which resides on the mail service server or you can retrieve it to work on it in Docs to Go or Wordsmith.

RIM announced imminent attachment support recently but by all accounts you need to trade your device up rather than being able to upgrade your existing one. I suspect the upgrade is extra memory to hold all those attachments.
    I've been using Sprint BC for several months now (with SPH-i300) and I think it is good, except:

1) You still need your desktop running. As far as I know, there is no push email that works with Treo/i300 that does not require a server nor does it require your desktop to be running. I could be wrong, but I think all the options out there either require the IT people at my law firm to do lots of stuff they don't want to do or I need to leave my desktop running.

2) I don't like the new version of BC. Someone on here says they have been able to get it to push, but I have had no success at that. Do you select "custom intervals" but then no time interval on the sync settings? Because that seems to be the way to do push (and Sprint says you can do push), but it has not worked for me. I can set it to check every 15 minutes, but I get a fatal reset almost every time I use the new software -- I'm still using BC through wireless web.

I bought the Treo 300 but then returned it in part because I was duped into believing it was also a Blackberry, or at least moreso than the i300. Other than the keyboard -- I don't think that's the case. As far as I know, the Treo has no capabilities above and beyond any other internet-enabled wireless phone. Does anyone believe differently?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast