1.    #1  
    As another Samsung i300 user I should let you know that I asked in another post in this forum, regarding the sound quality of the new Treo. (see below). About a year ago, I read a review of the Samsung i300 and the early Treo when they first came out, as one of the few combination PDA's and phones. The sound quality of the Treo was reviewed as being horrible and after confirming that I ended up buying the Samsung which I have been very happy with. It sounds as if based upon the replies I received about the sound quality of the Treo, it is still pretty poor. As I use my cell phone a lot and the PDA to a lesser extent, I think I will wait a bit longer for Samsung or Qualcomm to come out with a newer version.

Peter
    Peter
    pwc@itsa.ucsf.edu
    The sound quality inbound in my Treo is good...a bit tinny and high pitched but easy to here. The volume controls are good. My old I300 had better sound, though. My callers don't know I'm on a cell phone, so the outbound quality must be very good. The reception of the Treo is stellar.
    I need more sleep.
    Originally posted by Brooose
    The sound quality inbound in my Treo is good...a bit tinny and high pitched but easy to here. The volume controls are good. My old I300 had better sound, though. My callers don't know I'm on a cell phone, so the outbound quality must be very good. The reception of the Treo is stellar.
    I just wish I had the option to make the volume louder. Yes, you can change it, but not that much...
    I'm curious. What happens when you ask the person on the other side what they think of the sound quality? My i300 always sounded muffled to the person I was talking to. Not so with my older kyo 6035 or my new treo 300.
    sound quality is excellent. I never asked anyone how I sounded, I can hear them fine and I would expect that I would have heard some complaints if they could not hear me. Signal reception is also very good.
    would expect that I would have heard some complaints if they could not hear me
    I would have thought so. No one complained. But when I did ask, people told me I sounded muffled. When I switched to the treo, they said it sounded better (when asked).

It could have just been my phone.
  8. AJM
    I had the Sanyo 5150 before the Treo and don't notice much of a difference in sound quality. I called my voice mail at work and left a message and it sounded just as good. I love the speaker phone option regardless of the tone - after all there has to be some compromise for size. I just stick it into the craddle at work and talk!
    I havne't yet asked anyone how my outbound voice sounds to them but my incoming sound Is way too low.

The speakerphone is also a joke unless you are in a very quiet room. I thought my 6035 was bad... this one is just terrible.

i can't complain too much it does work. It's jsut that handspring should have used a better piezo speaker
    " What would you attempt if you knew you couldn't fail?" - Robert Schuller -
  10. AJM
    Did you check the volume setting? Mine is pretty loud - I can hear it in the car even when I place it next to me on the passenger seat.
    My sound is also very good - my old Treo 180 used to have an echo problem occasionally, but with the Treo 300, my reception is much better (Sprint coverage seems to be much better in California) and the calls are much clearer. Voice quality is as good, if not better, than any other phone I've ever had (Nokia, Ericsson, etc.)
    I need to turn the volume down a notch, which also makes the phone sound better. Yet some people think its too soft. Variations in models, or variations in people's hearing?
  13. Puk
    The sound quality and recption on my Treo 300 are bothexcellent. The volume seems fairly high if you place you ear in the correct place (that was my initial problem) and turn up the volume. It's significantly louder than my SCH-8500 could go (although I wouldn't be offended if it could go even louder for loud environments). As for the mic quality, I get mixed reviews. Sometimes people think I sound really clear, and other times they can't hear me. I suspect it's a function of how I hold the device.

The speaker phone volume is not amazing, but it's loud enough to hear the conversation loudly in the next cube over from here (as my boss just informed me . I'm not sure how the speakerphone mike is -- haven't tested it. The main purpose I use speakerphone for is to use the PDA functions while talking on the phone when I don't have my hands-free kit available, and the volume is sufficient for that unless I'm someplace noisy, so I don't mind.

-Puk