1.    #1  
    Hello to all you programmers out there. Here is a little wish list that would make the TREO much easier to use. If you are reading this message and know of work-around solutions let me know.

TIA

Home Icon:
    A little home/application icon that would remain on EVERY screen (maybe top right corner). With no silk-screen home, currently you have two buttons to hit to get home (cntl-home).

Robust Button Remapping:
    Yep, there is 1 Button and TreoButton but even both together do not permit a full remapping of the buttons. Features would include the ability to jump right to a phone book (3rd party) by clicking the phone button. Not to speed-dial...then three clicks later to the basic phone book.
    It would also be nice to remap the keyboard so you can set up tabs and so on.

Robust Job Button:
    PowerJog is alright, but limited. One handed operation would mean the ablity to select an application from the Apps ~ something that will work with launcher apps (launcher ///) so the user can scroll through tabs, AND through the apps on the screen. Nothing more frustrating than having to stop in your tracks to click the screen.

Pop-Ups:
    Yes, the favorite pop ups (calculators, notes, to-do's etc.). These hacks no longer work since they are built around silk-screened buttons. A re-release of these hacks would be nice.
    Last edited by Pixel_Rogue; 08/22/2002 at 02:42 PM.
    For what it's worth regarding your Home icon idea, I just remapped the "web" hardware button to Launcher III, so it's effectively my "home" button. I use option with that button to run Blazer. So there's a way of having an always-available home-with-one-click solution.
    Originally posted by Pixel_Rogue
    Home Icon:
    A little home/application icon that would remain on EVERY screen (maybe top right corner). With no silk-screen home, currently you have two buttons to hit to get home (cntl-home).

The suggestion to remap a hardware button to the launcher (default launcher is called "Applications" in the list of apps in the button preference) is a good one. If you're always going to the app screen, you might as well map a button to it, then map the option+button to something else. And if you have TreoButtons you can also map shift+button to another app.

Robust Button Remapping:
    Yep, there is 1 Button and TreoButton but even both together do not permit a full remapping of the buttons. Features would include the ability to jump right to a phone book (3rd party) by clicking the phone button. Not to speed-dial...then three clicks later to the basic phone book.
    It would also be nice to remap the keyboard so you can set up tabs and so on.

In that specific case, you want to use TreoButtons and assign "Contacts" to a button. That will take you directly to the contacts list that you get to from the phone book app. For the best button remapping control, you want EasyLaunch and Switcheroo. EasyLaunch lets you assign button presses, short holds, and long holds, as well as combination presses and holds to any application on your device. For example, if I hold my phone button down for two clicks (audible indicator of how long I hold the button, a preference of EasyLaunch) I get the calculator. You can assign these things to Apps, DAs, and even certain OS functions like backlight, off and lock, etc.
    Switcheroo lets you assign any app to a letter on the keyboard. To switch to an assigned app, you press option+space, then the letter of the app you want to launch. On my Treo, when I do that, then press Q, I get Quicksheet.
    As for Tabs, if you're in a text entry field, and you press shift+space, you get a tab.

Robust Job Button:
    PowerJog is alright, but limited. One handed operation would mean the ablity to select an application from the Apps ~ something that will work with launcher apps (launcher ///) so the user can scroll through tabs, AND through the apps on the screen. Nothing more frustrating than having to stop in your tracks to click the screen.

I agree. I'm kind of irked that so many launchers cater to the Sony jog wheel, but perish the thought of allowing Treo users to select and launch apps with the jog rocker. C'mon, Bozidar, put jog rocker support into Launcher X!

Pop-Ups:
    Yes, the favorite pop ups (calculators, notes, to-do's etc.). These hacks no longer work since they are built around silk-screened buttons. A re-release of these hacks would be nice.
    This is true. You might be able to find some DA's (Desk Accessories, which are special apps that run over top of the current app) that do some of those "Pop-Up" things, certainly a calculator and probably some others. Then you can launch them with EasyLaunch.

Also, McPhling, a popular app switcher and "most recently used" list has great Treo support. You can trigger the MRU list or switch to the previous app with a wide variety of Treo compatible triggers, even set your own. It's tres cool.

All the apps I mentioned are easily found on PalmGear.

Thanks!
    -Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/