1.    #1  
    It's hard to ask this because most (if not all people) using Treo 300 are on Vision plans. BUT, if someone is just using it with their old Free/Clear plan, it would love to know if old school wireless web connected. I know they don't want you to do it, but I wondered how it could be stopped especially if there has been limited success out there with dial-up ISP access.
    Don't you need a Vision username and password to access the internet on the Treo?
    While I have a Vision plan, I did setup a wireless web connection (phone number #2932, username: web, password: web) and it worked reasonably well. I don't know how much slower it was or if it faked me out and used the Vision service (I'm hoping my bill shows wireless web as I'd like to use some voice minutes for data even if it is slow).
    Scott: When you did that, were the bars over the signal meter green or grey?
    Originally posted by work_permit
    Scott: When you did that, were the bars over the signal meter green or grey?
    Green, just like with high speed. I just tried again and entered the wrong password...it cancelled my login, so I suspect that I am using the low speed data. I guess I'll know when I can check my minutes and see.
  6.    #6  
    Please keep us updated. I am really thinking that I might go with the Treo on a sweet retention plan and use the wireless web instead of 3G. I am cook with the slower speed and I would love the idea of "unlimited web" which is what I would get with the oodles of minutes available.

I'm sure we haven't seen the begining of it, but I see more and more 3G services coming through as pay-per-view. Come on, who needs to pay for a ringer!
    Originally posted by mpk65281
    Please keep us updated. I am really thinking that I might go with the Treo on a sweet retention plan and use the wireless web instead of 3G. I am cook with the slower speed and I would love the idea of "unlimited web" which is what I would get with the oodles of minutes available.
    I just checked my minutes used and it indicates that I used 3 wireless web minutes and that I have 0 available. When I called Sprint and asked to add "Wireless Web", they said I can't to my vision plan. However, I could change to a non-vision plan and add it. I think I'll wait 3 months (vision is free for 3 months) and then see about changing plans so that I can use the slow speed data instead of the 3G...time isn't a big factor for me. I'd really like to have both (and it is possible as I've seen), but Sprint's billing system won't allow it.
    How did this end then? Did it use wireless web/regular minutes or bandwidth?
    Originally posted by rkassim
    How did this end then? Did it use wireless web/regular minutes or bandwidth?
    It used WirelessWeb minutes and I got charged $0.39/minute for 7 minutes. I need to figure out how to get someone at Sprint to get me a non-Vision plan so that I can use my voice minutes (my wife and I can't possibly use 2000 minutes/month) for data at the 2G data rate. For my purposes, Vision and 3G data is overrated (and too expensive). Hook your laptop to your phone and you'll eat up the 2 MB very quickly.
    How was the speed? This is important ... if its prohibitively slow then not much else to do but to use 3g ;p

I still have the older non 3g plans and have Wireless Web setup so it _should_ subtract from my regular minutes... then i wont have to worry about MB limits ;p ...
    According to the Sprint rep I spoke to a few weeks ago, Sprint will not be offering Wireless Web plans on the Treo, although it is technically possible to use it. He also said they are working on a way to disable 2G data access on Treo plans. I used 93 data minutes last month and got charged $.39 for each of them. The rep said that I could get a 1-time credit for those minutes. Seems a very poor choice by Sprint to eliminate 2G access for certain devices; my plan is to use the 3 months of free data, cancel Vision, and then keep calling *2 until I find a rep that will let me add 2G data to my plan (assuming they don't technically eliminate 2G for Treos).
    Ijust made a standard network connection using #2932 .. anyone know what the DNS etc were supposed to be because I got a connect failure..

edit: doh. Just got it to connect once I put it on the Standard modem setup.
    Originally posted by rkassim
    How was the speed? This is important ... if its prohibitively slow then not much else to do but to use 3g ;p

I still have the older non 3g plans and have Wireless Web setup so it _should_ subtract from my regular minutes... then i wont have to worry about MB limits ;p ...
    Speeds is pretty bad compared to my cable modem :-) However, I'm sort of used to the slow speed from a cell phone and it doesn't bother me. This is the speed I was getting on my Treo 180 and also when I hooked my Motorola StarTac to my laptop.

If I can get back on a 2G plan, I'm going to do it...slow speed doesn't bother me.
    Well, to follow up on this line, is the old "My Wireless Web" pga still out there? I like the fact that you could check your useage and pay your bill through your phone.

Anyone out there know?

Thanks!!

Craig
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    pga or pqa?
    Ooops.

I meant pqa. Got golf on my mind I guess....

Craig
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."