Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    I currently use Trillian from http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/ on my desktop to manage all of my IM accounts.

    Is there a similar product that I can run on the Treo that will support Yahoo, ICQ, AIM etc all at once ?
  2. #2  
    Wow, that would be great! The only IM program that I know for my Treo is AIM.
  3. #3  
    Originally posted by alexb
    I currently use Trillian from http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/ on my desktop to manage all of my IM accounts.

    Is there a similar product that I can run on the Treo that will support Yahoo, ICQ, AIM etc all at once ?
    I sure wish. Tell Cerulean! I will too. I love their win32 app.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by e.lo
    Wow, that would be great! The only IM program that I know for my Treo is AIM.
    ICQ has an app as well that works quite well.
  5. #5  
    hi!

    ICQ 2.1b worked well on my TREO 180.
    but now, on the TREO 270 it comes to "starting services" and then i get a dialogbox telling me that "connection failed".

    if i use the old AIM 1.0 with my icq number as screenname it works well. just that this crappy thing just displays the numbers,not the nicknames :-)

    help with ICQ would be great.
    thanks
  6. #6  
    I've found ICQ and AIM are both unstable on my 300. They'll lock up the unit, requiring a soft reset. Then I'll get a datamanager error (sorry, don't remember what number). The error remains until I warm boot and delete the app from the palm.

    Anyone else experiencing this?
  7. #7  
    Originally posted by jimfenn
    I've found ICQ and AIM are both unstable on my 300. They'll lock up the unit, requiring a soft reset. Then I'll get a datamanager error (sorry, don't remember what number). The error remains until I warm boot and delete the app from the palm.

    Anyone else experiencing this?
    This is a well documented problem on multiple treads, and even on the Handspring website. I lost my whole fone on a trip due to this ... no more AIM on my 300 ... just not worth it.
  8. #8  
    I've said this before, but somebody could make a lot of money if they could come up with a Palm app for the Treo similar to Trillian (IM consolidator). I love Trillian and can't believe there isn't a similar app for wireless PDA's. I guess we'll just have to wait till some crafty programmers get some time on their hands!

    As for AIM, it seems to work ok as long as you don't turn your Treo off with AIM still connected. I've had one serious crash (warm-reset, followed by a soft-reset) after leaving it connected while the Treo was in my pocket.
  9. #9  
    As a Trillian user, I too was going crazy when AIM 1.x would crash my Treo 180/300 when I looked at it.

    There are Trillian alternatives for the Palm based on the Jabber protocol. The catch - other than a stagnant open source effort (PalmJabber) the remainder are based on Sun Java MicroEdition (MIDP to be precise).

    The three I would recommend looking at are:

    MercuryIM
    QuickSilver Messenger (QSM)
    StreamPath Instant Messenger (SIM)

    Each have their pros and cons - as well as - the limitations of JavaME and Jabber/Jabber infrastructure.
    Depending on the Jabber server utilized - supports the same services as Trillian.

    No background operations - soon as you leave the JavaVM ... you're done chatting.

    Use it as a backup during the morning commute - but - not a friendly app for multiple chat sessions occuring simultaneously.

    I believe Ruksun (sp?) is developing the killer app native for the Palm.

    Bob
  10. #10  
    Verichat

    AIM, Yahoo IM, MSN IM and soon to be ICQ.

    www.pdaapps.com
  11. #11  
    Originally posted by RWEckhoff
    As a Trillian user, I too was going crazy when AIM 1.x would crash my Treo 180/300 when I looked at it.

    There are Trillian alternatives for the Palm based on the Jabber protocol. The catch - other than a stagnant open source effort (PalmJabber) the remainder are based on Sun Java MicroEdition (MIDP to be precise).

    The three I would recommend looking at are:

    MercuryIM
    QuickSilver Messenger (QSM)
    StreamPath Instant Messenger (SIM)

    Each have their pros and cons - as well as - the limitations of JavaME and Jabber/Jabber infrastructure.
    Depending on the Jabber server utilized - supports the same services as Trillian.

    No background operations - soon as you leave the JavaVM ... you're done chatting.

    Use it as a backup during the morning commute - but - not a friendly app for multiple chat sessions occuring simultaneously.

    I believe Ruksun (sp?) is developing the killer app native for the Palm.

    Bob
    Bob, or anyone else, can you please provide links to:

    MercuryIM
    QuickSilver Messenger (QSM)
    StreamPath Instant Messenger (SIM)

    I did a search on palm gear and didn't find anything. Thanks!
  12. #12  
    Best thing about VeriChat is how it keeps you connected in the background, without even keeping an active data connection on the Treo. And, you can have multiple sessions between services, and the app is totally designed for the palm.

    I purchased a license the day it was released.
  13. #13  
    Chatter will be released in Beta soon. It blows VeriChat away, in my opinion. Do a search and read up on it. It will be FREE and it does AIM, Yahoo, MSN and ICQ beautifully NOW. (I am an alpha-tester and I *LOVE* it.)
  14. #14  
    Originally posted by Llynx
    Chatter will be released in Beta soon. It blows VeriChat away, in my opinion. Do a search and read up on it. It will be FREE and it does AIM, Yahoo, MSN and ICQ beautifully NOW. (I am an alpha-tester and I *LOVE* it.)
    .... except, as according to more than one alpha-tester's review, Chatter will cause you to miss many more voice calls because of its constant data usage, and the free part is dubious; 10MB/month extra data usage with my wireless carrier will more than compensate for the cost of VeriChat for the whole year.

    IMO, the only thing that blows VeriChat away is the next version of VeriChat, which can transfer files and convert them appropriately.

    Spiderman
  15. #15  
    I am an alpha-tester of Chatter. I also have VeriChat. I just posted an update to Conrad's review in Communications Software. Personally, I prefer Chatter. When you have the opportunity to try it you may too. If not, well ... you will still have your VeriChat.

  16. #16  
    Re: Chatter & VeriChat data usage.... There's no reason to believe that either one would be better vis a vis data usage. They both must perform similar tasks, albeit in a different manner. I really don't think this is a distinction between the programs.

    I'd also say that they are designed for different purposes; depending on your needs, one may be far preferable to the other.

    I would estimate that Chatter uses the data channel around 5% of the time, when not actively chatting.

    - m
  17. #17  
    Note to Spidey - If you're going to criticize something based on third-hand reports, you should do so accurately.

    Nobody said Chatter had "constant data usage" (which somehow implies that the data channel is always in use). And nobody said it caused you to lose more calls than, say, VeriChat, which also uses the data channel. The reviewer stated the obvious, whether for Chatter or VeriChat or Blazer for that matter - using the data channel can cause you to miss calls. The more you use it, the more calls you will miss. If you chat all day long, you will never get a phone call - either with Chatter or VeriChat. Same if you're surfing all day long.

    And for what it's worth, my estimate is that Chatter uses the data channel about 5% of the time when you're not actively chatting. If you'll let everyone know the equivalent number for VeriChat (and the cost of the related MB's), perhaps there will be something worth discussing.

    - m
    Last edited by Chatter; 02/09/2003 at 01:56 PM.
  18. #18  
    Originally posted by mblank
    .... And for what it's worth, my estimate is that Chatter uses the data channel about 5% of the time when you're not actively chatting. If you'll let everyone know the equivalent number for VeriChat (and the cost of the related MB's), perhaps there will be something worth discussing.

    - m
    VeriChat does not use the data channel when you are not chatting. It uses the out-of-band signalling channels that do not interfere with the 1xRTT voice/data modem. I regularly receive chat messages when I am in a phone call.

    The 5% number you talk about is a bit misleading because it is (based on my knowledge of the MSN protocol) really a function of how many buddies you have. If you send a single packet on the 1xRTT connection, you keep the modem "hot" for about (on an average) 10 seconds and during this time you do not get any phone calls. So if you exchange data say 5% of the time, that translates into a lot more of "hot" time when I cannot receive any phone calls. I believe the behaviour is the same for GPRS chipsets.

    Spiderman
  19. #19  
    Spidey -

    Are you saying that VeriChat doesn't update presence information over the data channel? That it's sending dozens (perhaps hundreds) of SMS messages an hour with that information? My understanding was that SMS was used to pass messages to the phone while in the background, and that everything else was TCP. Perhaps you can bring me up to speed here.

    BTW, my 5% number includes the 10-second data connection minimum time. What I meant to say was the the phone is tied up with data about 5% of the time, by my estimate (although this will differ, depending on number of contacts).

    And Chatter doesn't talk to MSN directly (or to any other service, for that matter).

    - m

    p.s. I think this discussion misses the main points about Chatter vs. VeriChat anway, whicih is that they are vastly different in approach.
  20. #20  
    I think I may have misunderstood...

    What I think you're saying is that while "in the background", VeriChat doesn't use the data channel except for outbound messages. In which case I should say that Chatter can also be set to a more "quiet" mode in which only messages use the data channel. In the default mode, however, presence information is kept updated, which means that no further communication is necessary when re-entering the app.

    Two other things:

    1) When you are actively chatting (as opposed to occasional individual messages), you'll be using both VeriChat and Chatter in the foreground, where it's far easier to keep track of conversations. Both, then, will be more active in sending data back and forth.

    2) When Sprint's free data plan ends (if it does), SMS will be charged along with data. It's not obvious that this constitutes a difference. And I believe that Cingular/T-Mobile charge for SMS messages, though I'm not positive.

    Again, my point is that the MAIN differences between the two have nothing to do with cost or data rate! For the large majority of people, this won't be a deciding factor.

    - m
    Last edited by Chatter; 02/09/2003 at 02:42 PM.

Posting Permissions