1.    #1  
    The Treo 300 seems to implement its ringtones a little differently from other Treo's. Ringo does not seem to work, and there is a message on TreoCentral that the TCRinger does not support the Treo 300. Has anyone been able to get a downloadable ringtone to work on their 300? It is one of the cooler features of the newer generation phones and it is frustrating that it doesn't seem to work.
    - Robert
  2.    #2  
    There has been an overwhelming silence on the issue of Ringtones for the Treo 300... As far as I can tell, you cannot customize the ringtones on this device with the current 3rd party tools currently available. Please correct me if I am wrong. I purchased Ringo... and it doesn't work on the 300. I have sent an email to the developers and have not received a response. I have also noted that TreoCentral has noted on their site that TCRinger does not work on the 300. Can we please get some formal response from the developers of these tools as to what the deal is? Even something as simple as:

"We are aware of the compatibility issues surrounding our ringtone manager on the Treo 300. We are working on a new version that will fix this incompatibility and expect it to be released on or about XX-XX-XXXX."
    - Robert
    I got a message on Wednesday from the folks at Electricpocket (Ringo) - they said they were aware of the incompatibility with the 300 and they were working on a fix for it. They didn't give me a timeline, but they asked me to sign up for a newsletter that would keep me posted on the development efforts. Just searched through all my folders, but I can't find the email - sorry .

Dunc
    Why the existing Ringo SW won't work...

Treo 300 ringers are stored in the modem's Flash memory (not to mention they use MIDI) whereas, the other GSM Treo's ringers are stored in the Host's (pda) Flash memory. You can tell by trying to change your ringers...the GSM ones allow you to change with the modem off...the 300's modem needs to be on.

I'm sure they're working on a way to customize the 300's ringers, but it'll take a whole new scheme.
    The bottom line is that Handspring hasn't published the developer documentation on how ringers work on the 300. Once developers get this information, you should expect to see ringtone stuff out there.
    I have a few contacts with Handspring also and can get some information and possibly some SDK or ROM software. Please let me know what I can do to help. PM me with your requests and needs and I will send them along.
    I am a Treo 300 user also and am waiting anxiously for a few apps to be developed. Since I can not write them myself, I just try to help out those who can.

homer
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by robertv
    The Treo 300 seems to implement its ringtones a little differently from other Treo's. Ringo does not seem to work, and there is a message on TreoCentral that the TCRinger does not support the Treo 300. Has anyone been able to get a downloadable ringtone to work on their 300? It is one of the cooler features of the newer generation phones and it is frustrating that it doesn't seem to work.
    Hot off the presses... Electric Pocket just sent me an email indicating that Ringo now supports the Treo 300...

I am downloading the file now and will report on what I find!
    - Robert
    Robert,

I'd be curious if you can download/use polyphonic ringtones. Since I can't download until this evening, perhaps you can let us know?

Thanks!
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    version I just downloaded on Friday night only allows known/unknown distinction, not addressable tones. Someone PLEASE make this happen.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    I installed TC ringer and downloaded several musical ring tones. I am able to assign tones to KNOWN callers , UNKNOWN callers and also DateBk5 Alarms for Appointmwents/ To Do's etc. I have done by telling TC ringer to move the downloaded tones to the System MIDI and MIDI folder. At least I can change tones as I want to.
    Veroi,

Anything on the poly ringtones?

Craig
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    Using the method described in another thread about ringo and midi ringtones, I was able to add new polyphonic ringtones. The device doesn't seem to "test" play them very well when configuring ringtones, but it does not seem to have problems playing them with an incoming call.

There's a newer thread around here where someone describes using a tool to convert your midi file to type 0, then add it to a palm sound file with "Palm Midi Desktop", and then assign it with the latest beta of Ringo. Worked for me!
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    I ha installed all type of ringtones with no problem using TC Ringer. The only modfication we would need from Sprint/ Handspring is the function to allow you to install different ring to each speed dial cell if the user wanted.