1.    #1  
    I bought the 300 at CompUSA last week and have been messing around with it quite a bit. So far, it seems like the battery life really sucks. On one particular day, it only went 12 hours from pulling it off the charger to getting the first warning message.

On that day, I did ~20 minuts of reading web stuff, 45 minutes of reading an ebook, ~15 minuts of calls and ~5 hours in a corner of a building that has really bad service. My very old Motorola StarTac (SprintPCS digital only) phone would last a few days using calls at the same desk.

I guess the question is, just how much battery life does web surfing use? Does not disconnecting after surfing affect the battery life? How much battery life does just using generic palm applications use compared to making a call?

Any ideas or thoughts?
    It is a good idea to disconnect after using the web/data. I noticed it drains the battery almost as fast as using the phone part..
    Originally posted by CyrusL
    20 minuts of reading web stuff, 45 minutes of reading an ebook,
    I know that web browsing really socks it to the battery. Not only are you using the screen at full blast at all times (on calls the screen dims significantly after a minute or so) you are using the phone portion to transmit data. I think the processor works very hard in these situations as well (pulling data pushing it to the screen, managing the cache, etc.)

As well, any activity that uses the screen without dimming (45 mins of e-book reading for example) will tax the battery as well. What level of brightness do you have the screen on? It may pay to drop it a bit and adjust the contrast to get some extra battery.

When I use the Treo as a phone only the battery does very well, but if you expect to do alot of browsing and reading every day you might invest in an extra charger to have at work.
    I was barely getting a day use out of my palm (minimal phone use, 1-3 hrs palm usage).
    It ran out completely when I tried to make it run for two days and forced a hard reset.
    Since then, my battery life is way better.
    --- Perhaps a hard reset will improve things.
    I also installed the dropped call patch just before the hard reset - so that may have some effect.

Good luck.

Rob
    It is a good idea to disconnect after using the web/data. I noticed it drains the battery almost as fast as using the phone part..
    Do you mean that your phone drains out while connected to the network but not browsing or doing anything on it? I think you may have something wrong with your phone. Mine doesn't do that.

When you're not doing anything on the network, but are connected, do you see green arrows or grey arrows over the signal bars?

I do agree that heavy web browsing is a drain.
    Hum..mine seemed to do it once. I will do a full charge and try a test again leaving it connected to the network.
    A couple of times, my 300 battery has drained unexpectedly fast. This a.m., fresh off a full charge, I did some web browsing then closed the lid for a while--without logging off. About 90 minutes later I opened the lid, and saw that the battery was almost drained. The back of the 300 was pretty warm.

I logged off the web, and the battery bounced back to about half full without any charge. I infer that there had been a heavy, steady drain on it. Pretty sure it must have been the network connection.

My interim solution is to log off after checking email and the web. I believe I can set preferences to do that automatically.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
    Kami
    When you finish browsing, go back to the Sprint default web page. Some web pages automaticaly refresh. My phone did this when I left the browser on a normal Yahoo home page. Mini browser pages dont seem to do auto reloads as much. Also, I exit Blazer by hitting the phone hot button once.
    I'm almost guaranteed that my battery will be drained if I use the Midcast financial app. I guess it just keeps running and running, until the battery craps out. I thought it was nice app, until I realized that it was the source of my battery woes - now I won't touch it.

Dunc
    Originally posted by Kami
    My interim solution is to log off after checking email and the web. I believe I can set preferences to do that automatically.
    Hmmmmmm...I'd like to know how to do that......?
    What is the dropped call patch - where can we get it and what does it do?
    Does anyone know whether you should let the battery drain down before recharging or is it okay to recharge as often as you'd like? I remember older batteries would acquire a 'memory' and if you recharged when almost full you would lose battery length over time. Anyone have an idea whether we should look out for this on these phones?
    Originally posted by pseudomass

Hmmmmmm...I'd like to know how to do that......?
    In Blazer, do the following to have it automatically log off when you exit Blazer:

:menu: (brings up the menu)
    tap Options
    tap Blazer Preferences
    on the Preferences screen (for Browser, not for Advanced), check the box that says Disconnect on Exit
    tap OK

You can do something similar in your email program, depending on what you are using.
    Kami
    I was just cruising around the board and noticed some of you all were having issues with your battery and disconnection. When using MidCast, please note that HillCast has not officially certified our application for the Treo 300.

Battery-
    MidCast uses continuous processing to maintain streaming so it may accelerate battery life.

Network disconnect-
    We are currently working to certify Midcast for the Treo 300. One issue in particular that has been brought to our attention is network disconnection. Presently, the trial version of MidCast for the Samsung I300 that many of you are using does not support the same network disconnect protocols as the Treo 300. So when exiting MidCast, you will also need to close your network connection. In order to do this, go to Prefs, select Network and then select Disconnect. The green arrows in the upper right corner serve as an indication as to whether you are connected to the Sprint network or not. ***NOTE*** Leaving the connection open will accelerate battery life.

We are currently not offering support for Treo 300 users but feel free to contact me via email and I will be happy to address any more support issues. I appreciate the users on this board posting feedback on our application.