Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    Good thinking, but don't forget that on IP routed networks, routes are not necessarily symmetrical. The routing from A->B may go through quite a different set of hops than B->A. Tracing "backwards" may give you misleading results.
    Agreed. But what everyone's really trying to figure out is if there's latency in the "last mile" (or, i guess, "first mile" depending on direction) from the phone itself into the net. That should be the same no matter which direction your tracert'ing....
    Unless someone comes up with a tracert client for the Treo, my opinion is we won't know. The Pocket PC operating system DOES have a tracert utility and someone with access to one of those might be able to see a bit more of what's going on.

I still want to know what's new and faster about 3G in the last mile ?
    Originally posted by PCMusician
    I sttill want to know what's new and faster about 3G in the last mile ?
    Well, this is the problem when it comes to using a simple word like "fast" when describing a complex subject such as bandwidth.

Here's an illustration...

Let's say that you have a two foot long drinking straw, and a two foot long section of PVC pipe.

Hold one end of the straw towards the ground at an angle, and pour a few drops of water in one end. The water will come out the other end at a certain speed.

Hold the PVC pipe at the same angle, do the same, and the speed would be roughly the same.

That's a poor-man's definition for latency -- The minimal amount of time to get the least amount of data from point A to point B.

Now, take the straw and the pipe again. This time, attach a funnel to the end of the straw, and pour a gallon of water in. It will take quite a while for all of the water to flow through the straw since it is so narrow (i.e.: 2G).

Do the same with the pipe, and the gallon of water will flow through the pipe much more quickly. Why? Because it's wider (i.e.: 3G).

That's a poor-man's definition for bandwidth.

So ... when you start talking about how "fast" 3G feels, it's a combination of both ... and it's important to remember it as such.

These are the types of questions that vendor certification test will try to trip you up on: Which is faster, 10mb Ethernet, or 100mb Ethernet? The answer - they both operate at the same speed (electricity doesn't know if it's traveling through a 10mb or 100mb connection), but one can deliver 10x more data in the same time interval. Thus, the term "faster" often gets applied (even if slightly erroneously) because you can move more data in less time. Even though it is traveling at the same speed on either connection.

Is everything as clear as mud now??

-Doug
    Last edited by dtoombs; 08/20/2002 at 03:13 PM.
    Originally posted by dtoombs

Is everything as clear as mud now??

-Doug
    Consider it this way ... The straw is your data packet. If it's only your straw ... it appears to be fast to you. Now take your straw and add it to a 50 gallon drum full of other peoples straws with only one outlet pipe the size of a 1" PVC pipe. Now, when is your straw going to get to use the outlet pipe with all the other straws that can fit in the outlet? Any straw in the outlet pipe flows as fast as any other straw, past or present. The problem is getting into the pipe.

Gary
    Originally posted by Gary G. Little
    Now take your straw and add it to a 50 gallon drum full of other peoples straws
    Eww, doesn't sound very sanitary. I mean, I don't mind sharing a malt with my sweetheart, but...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12