1.    #1  
    Is it possible to have an external hard drive that a Treo talks to by IR? This seems like it would need both software and hardware to run, but would solve the problem of having an external backup.

One way to do this, perhaps, is to buy an old, inexpensive PDA that takes a CF card, and beam databases and whatnot to the other PDA to store on the CF card. These could then be beamed back if necessary.
    You have an interesting idea. Backing up to an inexpensive laptop via IR would work, but that kind of defeats the purpose of a PDA! I don't think an IR Hard Drive would be possible, but i'm sure an expansion sleeve like the Compaw Ipaq uses could be created for this purpose. Why don't you contact the guys at www.pitech.com and recommend a "Secure Digital Expansion Sleeve" for the Treo's. Who knows????

Lack of an expansion card is the #1 reason I am not switching from my Treo 90 to a 270 or 300. This was a major oversite on Handsprings part. They should have put one in by default. The darn things are just to useful!
    visit us at www.tdscomputer.com
    I imagine it would be easy to design one. They sell they USB solid state HDDs that hold from 32MB to 128MB. You would need to buy a converter (Treo charger/input slot - USB, or just splice your current cable ) and write software that transfers the memory like it was a SD expansion slot.

It's small and I doubt you need anything more than 32MB.
  4.    #4  
    If it really is straightforward to have an external USB hard drive hooked up to the Treo, it would be very valuable to me. I agree that 32MB would be terrific. I would happily buy 128MB and store all sorts of other stuff that I rarely needed.

Is there an OS issue, since 3.5 doesn't support external memory cards? Or does it? Would FileZ (which apparently supports external memory cards) be able to move files stored on a USB drive to RAM? What would it take to recognize the card?

The inability to restore without a PC forces me to carry my PC on overnight trips and not rely on the Treo. If it isn't too difficult, this could be a very valuable app.
    Originally posted by lokuanyu
    I imagine it would be easy to design one. They sell they USB solid state HDDs that hold from 32MB to 128MB. You would need to buy a converter (Treo charger/input slot - USB, or just splice your current cable ) and write software that transfers the memory like it was a SD expansion slot.

It's small and I doubt you need anything more than 32MB.
    The problem with this is that USB is a master/slave technology. That means that something (usually you computer) does the job of making something else (your treo, your USB hard drive, etc) do the work.

Both the treo and the backup device you describe are slaves. Neither one can tell the other what to do. To make it work, you'd have to add some intelligent "master" hardware.
    Jeff
  6.    #6  
    So it sounds like a miniature server is needed, which can translate requests and write to USB drive. This could be a simple piece of hardware, but I guess there aren't many PDA users without an expansion slot of some kind or other and costs depend crucially on volume. Oh well.

Thanks for the explanation, though, which helped.