Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Comparisons: 300 vs. Sony P800 vs. Kyocera etd.

PDA/phone to use with Mac: p800 vs Kyocera 300 or other?

fellow gadget lovers,

Really would like to get the best info on hottest phone/pda combo for Mac

I have the following info and would welcome better updates./learned opinions.

Especially comparison between the top phone/pda contenders namely:

Sendo Z100
    Samsung i600
    Nokia 7650
    http://home.hkicable.com/djk/telecom/t122.htm
    (compairison of nokia 7650 and sony erricson p800
    Kyocera 7135
    treo 270/300
    Danger sidekick

So far I think it is between the 300 kyocera 7135 and the p800

here is the best p800/mac info i have so far from sony tech:

Thank you for the revised email, I am now able to research your inquiry, here are the results from sony tech:

2. SO THE P800 SPECIFICALLY WILL SYNC VIA BLUETOOTH WITH MAC AND JAQUAR
    AND ICAL, CORRECT?

Apple's new applications and operating system and are "ready to run" with the T68i. Mac OS X version 10.2 "Jaguar" is Bluetooth enabled and lets you send and receive SMS directly from your Mac. iSync and iCal provide advanced but intuitive functionality for synchronizing calendar and address book data on your Mac with your T68i and a host of other devices. Finally, you can also use your T68i as a wireless modem for getting online while on the move. And this is just the start. We have a shared focus on fun and exciting applications for imaging and entertainment. With mobile devices like the P800 on the horizon, Sony Ericsson sees enormous potential for new types of applications running between the Mac and the phone in the future.

3.BUT DOES THIS MEAN THAT I CAN RECEIVE, OPEN, CREATE, SEND AND EDIT MS WORD
    DOCUMENTS AND WORD ATTACHMENTS
    WITHIN THE P800 ITSELF? SO THAT YOU ARE SELF CONTAINED.... I MEAN WITHOUT
    HAVING TO TRANSFER TO A MAC LAPTOP?
    Unfortunately you would only be able to send as attachment, there are document viewers [provided on CD] that enable you to open and read this includes MS Word, Excel, Acrobat.

4. WILL THERE BE A CONDUIT FOR ENTOURAGE MS OFFICEX FOR MAC TO SYNC WITH THE
    P800 TO UPDATE ENTOURAGE AS THE CALENDER OR WILL THIS ONLY WORK WITH ICAL?
    ALSO CAN ENTOURAGE WORK WITH THE P800 AS AN EMAIL CLIENT?
    There is no mention of Entourage only iCAL w/ iSYNC. You may have to inquire with Apple.

5QUICKTIME 6 IN JAQUAR IS MPEG-4. WHAT WOULD BE THE EXACT PROCEDURE TO PUT A
    QUICKTIME 4 VIDEO OF MY CLIENTS TESTEMONIALS ON MY P800 SO THAT I COULD PLAY
    THEM FOR PROSPECTIVE CLIENTS? WOULD THIS BE WEB BASED OR COULD IT BE ON THE
    MEMORY STICK? HOW DO WE DO THIS? (I AM VERY EXCITED ABOUT THE ABILITY TO
    SHOW VIDEO CLIENT TESTEMONIALS OF MY HAPPIEST CLIENTS ON MY PHONE TO NEW
    CLIENTS!
    To be honest, the actual process is not available on this level of Technical Support due to the product's unavailablity here in the U.S.A.

1) WHEN EXACTLY WILL THE PHONE BE AVAILABLE IN THE USA?
    2) WHAT IS THE PRICE RANGE?
    3) WHERE CAN I BUY IT IN CHICAGO
    the P800 will be available during Q4 [Fourth Quarter], 2002. Unfortunately no additional release information has been posted. However, once it has been made available you will be able to contact your local GSM service providers like Voicestream at 800-937-8997 or Cingular's GSM service at 1-800-393-7267 or AT&T GSM at 1-866-293-4634 about prices, availability and services.

All constructive comments welcome,

Ideawizard
    Here are some links to on-line reviews on Sony-Ericsson P800, including first users opinions.
    Hoping this will help!

http://www.bargainpda.com/default.as...wComments=true

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/handpho...001620p,00.htm

The latter is certainly the most interesting link as you can read first-users / beta-testers opinions...
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    The Sony Ericsson P800 will blow away the competition! The P800 has a great feature set, but ease of use may be an issue. The camera will come in handy for impromptu shots. In the US the big question marks will be cost and availability. It has to be less than $1000 to sell in decent numbers.
    Last edited by wshwe; 08/22/2002 at 09:26 PM.
    I agree with you, the P800 looks impressive... on paper.
    I can't wait to put my hands on one!

I'm not sure about the camera.
    I played with the Nokia 7650 and found the digital camera being only a gadget to push device sales, but that you rarely use in real life, due to the very average quality of the pictures taken.

But if the Sony-Ericsson is as easy to use as its 'ancestor' the R380 (I loved it!), it will be the communicator device to have.

In my part of the world, it is expected within two or three weeks.
    A lot before Handspring GPRS patch, I'm afraid!
    Do any of these other up and comers have a keyboard like the Treo?

It may not be near as important to other people, but the keyboard on the Treo has been a godsend to me for emails and SMS... I think it is a big advantage.
    No they don't.
    As I understand they all have virtual keyboard.
    I must say that the Treo keyboard is also my favorite part of the device!

I guess the new-coming communicators will use at least a keyboard as excellent as the one available with Motorola Accompli 008.
    As excellent, and easy to use, as it is, it not half as fast at the Treo keyboard.
    The downside of virtual keyboards come from the responsivness of the screen.

Let's see if the new devices come with a more responsive screen.
    If you get a touch-screen that respond as fast as your mechanical keyboard, I'll guess you won't see the difference... and gain on screen size!
    The problem is that the P800 does not suppor Palm OS nor Outlook integration. That's a major negative. The real competition will come from Microsoft with their new smartphone "Stinger." Take the tour at

http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/smartphone/default.asp

Very nice devce.
    Took the MS phone tour but I don't see any mention of having the capability of viewing or editting Word or Excel files native or otherwise.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    The MS smartphone doesn't employ a touchscreen. Does that mean Pocket PC stylus input isn't available? How do you input text characters?

On the Palm side, Word and Excel functionality come from 3rd party developers. There's no reason why the same couldn't happen with the P800. Sony Ericsson is actively encouraging developers to support the P800.
    Virtuous
    No touchscreen, but all applications are fully accessible. From the FAQ:

Q: Keying in lots of information on my current phone is painful and tedious. Why doesn't Smartphone include a touch screen?

A: To meet the needs of today's mobile phone users, Smartphone has to be a great phone first. For us, that means keeping the phone on you at all times and using it whilst in motion. In other words, being able to access key scenarios quickly with one hand is important. We have developed an advanced user interface around this philosophy of one-handed navigation with predictive voice and text support so to achieve an optimal user experience with minimal text input required.

In addition, added cost and reduced durability due to touch screens are also factors important to mobile phones.

Q: What's the difference between Pocket PC and Smartphone?

A: With Smartphone we introduce a new phone experience to the market. We are integrating PDA-type functionality that users know and love into a voice-centric handset that comparable in size today's mainstream cell phones. Smartphone is designed for one-handed operation with keypad access to both voice or data features. It is optimized for voice and text communication; wireless access to outlook information and secure browse to corporate and Internet information and services. The Windows Powered Smartphone gives you a choice to communicate via voice or text along with the ability to access information and services so you can stay in-touch while on the go.

FAQ: http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/smartphone/faq.asp
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Text entry either is like using Graffiti on a Palm or akin to using T9 on a cell phone. T9 may be ok for entering contact info like names and phone #s, but is cumbersome for taking meeting notes.
    Virtuous
    Originally posted by elysian9
    The problem is that the P800 does not suppor Palm OS nor Outlook integration.
    The P800 will support full Outlook integretation (at least as much as the Treo does):

The P800 is also an organizer, it can handle daily operations such as calendar, e-mail, address book and to-do-lists. All these features can easily be synchronized with the most common office applications on a PC. The P800 enables to take notes and view files such as Powerpoint, Word or Excel.
    Unquote
    This quote comes from expansys.com.

I read an article the other day, I can't remember exactly where -sorry! - that said you could view Excel, Word and PowerPoint file on the P800, but not edit them.
    Maybe the real issue is whether one wants the ideal phone with great PDA integration or the ideal PDA with great cell phone integration.
    The real competition will come from Microsoft with their new smartphone "Stinger."
    I'm not sure I agree with you.
    As the name says it, the smartphone is a phone with enhanced PDA capabilities.
    It is not a communicator device as Treo or P800, and of course Nokia 9210, claim to be.

With the smartphone, Microsoft does not want to shoot its own foot and kill Windows Pocket PC which will eventually lead to communicator devices only (in fact, you already see the beginning of that trend with the Sagem WA 3050, Mitsubishi Trium Mondo Pocket PC, Siemens SX45, and more - all out-of-the-box GPRS, needless to say!).

If Handspring's Treo is on Palm OS, the Pocket PCs are using Windows, and the new devices such as the P800, Nokia 9210 and Motorola Accompli 008 are all using Symbian OS.
    All of them with countless freeware and shareare apps available (Symbian-based apps are every day more numerous).
    Symbian was specifically developed for communicator devices.
    Does that mean this OS will eventually win the race because more adapted?
    Maybe the real issue is whether one wants the ideal phone with great PDA integration or the ideal PDA with great cell phone integration.
    I have the feeling that eventually we'll see two types of communication devices:
    What will become basic phone (even if today they are upscale devices), such as Ericsson T68i or MS-Stinger and real communicators, such as the P800, Treo and other Pocket PC-based devices.

Why not having one of each, to better respond to your needs of the moment?
    You want to be able to be called all the time, but do you really need to access your Emails and surf the Internet 24 hours a day?
    Size, power and price concerns matter and greatly damage the ability of pocket pc to compete in this marketplace. They simply require too much horsepower to run their os and this means they will be inferior in the size, price and battery efficiency departments. The last power pc unit didn't even come close and so Msft will try again and fail again because they can't change the equation that a bloated os doesn't work in a handheld device.

Software compatibility also matters. We have seen time and again that software compatibility wins. Many users own palm o/s software and the equivalents are simply not available in the symbian os that Sony will be using. Also the price will be too high and a second rate camera is not what most of us are dying to carry around and pay for.

Most importantly, life is a moving target. Hand does not preannounce new products, but more products will be flowing through the pipeline. Improvements will be made based on feedback from users on how to make Hand devices better. Being first is a huge advantage if a company knows how to listen, and Hand does. 2nd generation hand phones will compete against the first generation phones of your competitors. I expect a dual or tri band cdma phone to appear, and I futher expect Hand to further refine their product at the same time. Also, I think you will discover that the gprs patch that Hand completes will be light years ahead of the software that gives Sony gprs compatibilkity. The Hand patch will work across networks while the Sony patch will only work within a network. What about matching up with Blazer? How about Treo mail.

I think it will be revealed in a few months that the contenders mentioned on this thread are really pretenders.This particular thread is about buildiing sand castles. Then the tide will come in and Hand will remain in the lead.... . Long live the king!
    dennis3232,

Points well taken.

elysian9
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    A tri-band GSM Treo with a user-replaceable battery, better color screen, Secure Digital SDIO slot and no flip lid would be good idea. A larger and heavier form factor would be acceptable to me if all of the additional features were present. HS would no longer have to sell 1 GSM Treo in the US and another in Europe and Asia.
    Virtuous
    I always wonder why HS didnt make the treo tri-band. it will be much easier to market n sell.
    I have a played ard with the 9210, 7659, t68, accompli, r320 , treo n the like. I found Treo to be the best pda/phone to date.
    My perfect pda/phone would be:
    A Thinner hi-res Treo with 2.1 megapixel camera and battery that last 3 days.
    Originally posted by rvwink

I think it will be revealed in a few months that the contenders mentioned on this thread are really pretenders.This particular thread is about buildiing sand castles. Then the tide will come in and Hand will remain in the lead.... . Long live the king!
    Rvwink, if one day Handspring gives a medal for the most loyal customer, you'll get it.
    I admire your love for what I see as a far to be finished device that does not fulfill all its promises.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast