1.    #1  
    Comparisons: 300 vs. Sony P800 vs. Kyocera

PDA/phone to use with Mac: p800 vs Kyocera 300 or other?

fellow gadget lovers,

Really would like to get the best info on hottest phone/pda combo for Mac

I have the following info and would welcome better updates./learned opinions.

Especially comparison between the top phone/pda contenders namely:

Sendo Z100
    Samsung i600
    Nokia 7650
    http://home.hkicable.com/djk/telecom/t122.htm
    (compairison of nokia 7650 and sony erricson p800
    Kyocera 7135
    treo 270/300
    Danger sidekick

So far I think it is between the 300 kyocera 7135 and the p800

here is the best p800/mac info i have so far from sony tech:

Thank you for the revised email, I am now able to research your inquiry, here are the results from sony tech:

2. SO THE P800 SPECIFICALLY WILL SYNC VIA BLUETOOTH WITH MAC AND JAQUAR
    AND ICAL, CORRECT?

Apple's new applications and operating system and are "ready to run" with the T68i. Mac OS X version 10.2 "Jaguar" is Bluetooth enabled and lets you send and receive SMS directly from your Mac. iSync and iCal provide advanced but intuitive functionality for synchronizing calendar and address book data on your Mac with your T68i and a host of other devices. Finally, you can also use your T68i as a wireless modem for getting online while on the move. And this is just the start. We have a shared focus on fun and exciting applications for imaging and entertainment. With mobile devices like the P800 on the horizon, Sony Ericsson sees enormous potential for new types of applications running between the Mac and the phone in the future.

3.BUT DOES THIS MEAN THAT I CAN RECEIVE, OPEN, CREATE, SEND AND EDIT MS WORD
    DOCUMENTS AND WORD ATTACHMENTS
    WITHIN THE P800 ITSELF? SO THAT YOU ARE SELF CONTAINED.... I MEAN WITHOUT
    HAVING TO TRANSFER TO A MAC LAPTOP?
    Unfortunately you would only be able to send as attachment, there are document viewers [provided on CD] that enable you to open and read this includes MS Word, Excel, Acrobat.

4. WILL THERE BE A CONDUIT FOR ENTOURAGE MS OFFICEX FOR MAC TO SYNC WITH THE
    P800 TO UPDATE ENTOURAGE AS THE CALENDER OR WILL THIS ONLY WORK WITH ICAL?
    ALSO CAN ENTOURAGE WORK WITH THE P800 AS AN EMAIL CLIENT?
    There is no mention of Entourage only iCAL w/ iSYNC. You may have to inquire with Apple.

5QUICKTIME 6 IN JAQUAR IS MPEG-4. WHAT WOULD BE THE EXACT PROCEDURE TO PUT A
    QUICKTIME 4 VIDEO OF MY CLIENTS TESTEMONIALS ON MY P800 SO THAT I COULD PLAY
    THEM FOR PROSPECTIVE CLIENTS? WOULD THIS BE WEB BASED OR COULD IT BE ON THE
    MEMORY STICK? HOW DO WE DO THIS? (I AM VERY EXCITED ABOUT THE ABILITY TO
    SHOW VIDEO CLIENT TESTEMONIALS OF MY HAPPIEST CLIENTS ON MY PHONE TO NEW
    CLIENTS!
    To be honest, the actual process is not available on this level of Technical Support due to the product's unavailablity here in the U.S.A.

1) WHEN EXACTLY WILL THE PHONE BE AVAILABLE IN THE USA?
    2) WHAT IS THE PRICE RANGE?
    3) WHERE CAN I BUY IT IN CHICAGO
    the P800 will be available during Q4 [Fourth Quarter], 2002. Unfortunately no additional release information has been posted. However, once it has been made available you will be able to contact your local GSM service providers like Voicestream at 800-937-8997 or Cingular's GSM service at 1-800-393-7267 or AT&T GSM at 1-866-293-4634 about prices, availability and services.

All constructive comments welcome,

Ideawizard
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    p800 is a gsm phone not running the palm OS. Comparing it to the treo 300 or the kyo 7135 is apples to oranges.
    ditto the nokia: I don't know what os its running, but its not palm or pocket pc. Also, form factor is not really condusive to use as a pda
    Although I had my eyes on the P800, I ordered a 300 after I found out that the P800 would run on GSM

whats the point of owning a $700 phone if it won't even be able to get decent service???

Unless there is something I don't know about GSM service....?
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    In the Sacramento, CA area Cingular GSM signal strength is excellent. Local signal strength and coverage matters more than the relative merits of GSM vs. CDMA. Now AT&T has GSM coverage in my area.

When it's time to upgrade from my Treo 180, the leading candidate will be the Sony Ericsson P800. Handspring, Palm and Microsoft should be quaking in their boots.
    Thats news to me!.....glad to hear though that GSM is going well

Any idea how good the GSM is in Los Angeles?
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    While we are at it, anyone have any first hand experience with GSM coverage in NYC? I know Cingulair is attempting to break into the market, giving us 2 (and when AT&T changes over, 3) carriers on the GSM band, but I am curious if ANY of them have coverage to match Sprint or Verizon.
    Originally posted by paz5559
    p800 is a gsm phone not running the palm OS. Comparing it to the treo 300 or the kyo 7135 is apples to oranges.
    They are all smartphones and therefore can be compared. GSM or not they are all targeted at the same market, geeks like us.

I would love to know more about how the Sony device stacks up against the 300.
    Well any phone that is not running the Palm OS is disqualified for me. The Palm OS have to much software and tools available now compare to the others (Symbian, Pocket PC etc.).

Originally posted by chrisutley

They are all smartphones and therefore can be compared. GSM or not they are all targeted at the same market, geeks like us.

I would love to know more about how the Sony device stacks up against the 300.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    For me, the keyboard is the advantage of the Treo. The P800 looks like quite a brick too. Very unattractive.
    Indeed, the Treo's keyboard is what makes the difference for me. That and Sprint's all you can eat data for $10/month.

I don't expect I'll consider any options that don't offer those two things. Anything else is fair game. OS, brand, etc.

The Kyocera certainly has a lot of features that sound nifty on paper. But if I can't input information and I can't use the net access without worrying about each byte, then the usefulness level drops through the floor.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    1. Unlimited Internet for 10 bucks.
    2. Keyboard that works great.
    3. Fits in my pocket.
    4. Ubiquitous operating system (i.e. tons of software).

Duh.
    Originally posted by jshrieve
    Indeed, the Treo's keyboard is what makes the difference for me. That and Sprint's all you can eat data for $10/month.

I don't expect I'll consider any options that don't offer those two things. Anything else is fair game. OS, brand, etc.

The Kyocera certainly has a lot of features that sound nifty on paper. But if I can't input information and I can't use the net access without worrying about each byte, then the usefulness level drops through the floor.
    Ditto on all this.