Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi
    there are a bunch of us at Harvard planning to buy it and would value your comments:

1)what is the final verdict on the speed? is it out or not?
    2)can one read hotmail through it? is that a push system?
    3)how good is battery life?
    4)Do you see siginifcant difference in voice quality with 3G from the older varieties?
    5) Does their own sprint mail work thru push system?
    6)Can one see all websites or only certain specified ones?
    7)Would you recommend this over the Nokia 9290 COmmunicator?
    8)any advice on price plans?
    Speed is inline with what sprint is saying 50-70kbps.....

You can read hotmail...

battery life is pretty good..... you'll probably want to charge it each night though....

don't notice a difference in voice quality

you can see just about any website...

forget the 9290..........
    how do you check hotmail? i tried on my 300 and when i go to www.hotmail.com i get '.net passport not supported' etc..

?

tks
    jb
    1)what is the final verdict on the speed? is it out or not?

Im very happy with the speed. I havnt measured it, but its as good as a dial up at least (Louisville, Ky area) judging buy a complete page load.

2)can one read hotmail through it? is that a push system?

I was a big Hotmail user. I could get it on wireless web no problem. I am not happy with it on the Treo and switched to Yahoo. Sort of a pain. But Yahoo is made for the Treo/Palm. One problem is Blazer isnt 128 encrypted. You can get other browsers, like Xiion, but it didnt display Hotmail well in my opinion. Hotmail isnt push. In my newbe opinion, only outlook on an ISP or corpoate server is pushed. Could be wrong, but you have to download additional software for outlook and your base computer must always be on for the push stuff to work. Plus $5 a month charge.

As advertised on crispy new batteries.

4)Do you see siginifcant difference in voice quality with 3G from the older varieties?

Voice quality is the same. Clear is clear. But, the volume control on the Treo is excellent. It can go very loud, has a good usable speaker phone, and the ear headset works very well. Callers on the other end say all the modes are fine.

5) Does their own sprint mail work thru push system?

Not yet. Another dissappointment. Hotmail and PCS mail were my primaries. I was told by tech sup that I needed the 128 bit capable browser. He sounded like Sprint wasnt expecting this problem and that they were working on it. But there is no icon for it or Sprint Home like I would expect. Ive tried using the 128 bit browser, but havnt gotten past the log on page. Could be that its being worked on. I havnt been able to get it on my PC.

6)Can one see all websites or only certain specified ones?

All of them will load. But some look better than others.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Blazer does not support Java, so any website that is java based witll NOT be supported.
    Not just java, but javascript. That rules out quite a number of websites

As advertised on crispy new batteries.
    Advertised is 2.5 hours. Thats a pipe dream. Unfortanetly the treo has no minute meter, and I can't check my current usage on the web until the next billing cycle.

But I do have vibrate on, and the screen brightness is set to default

7)Would you recommend this over the Nokia 9290 COmmunicator?
    A friend had this on demo. Big, clunky, ugly brick. Big screen. Keyboard surprisingly not such a big win over treo keyboard. Not sure what os it was running, using it seemed confusing. The whole look, feel, and usage model struck me as retro. Total dud imho.
    If foldup is what u want, kyo 7135 much better deal.
    Last edited by work_permit; 08/17/2002 at 10:42 AM.
    The difference between 3G (CDMA2000) and the older CDMA system results in less dropped calls and more connections to the cell towers. They can now handle 4 times as many connections to the towers. Spoke to a Sprint PCS tech earlier yesterday.

So far he is right, I have not a signal faded or dropped call yet in the usual spots that I do get them.
  9.    #9  
    1)Nokia 9290 has some good things abt it...larger viewing area/ much better battery life/ GSM-GPRS/ ability to read any office doc/ bigger keyboard/ excellent speakerphone

any comments on these?

2)is the 3g then just as fast as gprs? those who succeded in getting good speeds- did it happen on its own or did u do something to make it happen?

3) has anyone tried 3g on any other phone a500 samsung? any comparison?

4)thera has got an excellent review in the new pc mag..great speeds they say
    Originally posted by athreya
    1)Nokia 9290 has some good things abt it...larger viewing area/ much better battery life/ GSM-GPRS/ ability to read any office doc/ bigger keyboard/ excellent speakerphone

any comments on these?
    GPRS isn't as fast as cdma2000 for data, so that's not really an advantage. Theoretically GPRS could be much faster than what you're currently seeing from most carriers, but in practice it's nowhere near it's theoretical limit. I don't know anyone getting 50-70kbps off GPRS, and certainly not with bursts up to 144kbps.

The keyboard on the communicator is larger, but from what I've heard it still doesn't offer a clear advantage over the Treo. It's still too small to do any serious typing on, and to make it worse, you now have to be on a flat surface to use it as well. You don't have to do this with the Treo.

The Treo's speakerphone seems decent enough. I've never heard the one on the communicator, so I can't really offer a comparison there.

The larger viewing area of the Nokia is nice too, but I don't think I'd want to pay for that with the much larger size, and much less ergonomic and comfortable design.

2)is the 3g then just as fast as gprs? those who succeded in getting good speeds- did it happen on its own or did u do something to make it happen?
    Yes, much faster on average.

I think everyone with 3g is getting good speeds. The problem is only when they use Blazer as a benchmark for data speeds. There's a problem with this. Either Blazer, as in the software itself, is simply too slow to render pages at 3g data speeds, or the proxies it uses are overburdened or for some other reason too slow to keep up. Using something like EudoraWeb, or this Fireviewer program (think that was it) to test speed, is showing that speeds are definitely as Sprint is advertising them.

3) has anyone tried 3g on any other phone a500 samsung? any comparison?
    I have an a500 that I have tried. I'm not sure what type of comparison you'd be wanting though. Currently the data cable isn't out for the a500, so it's kind of hard to compare speed equally across the board since the a500 has no built in html browser. With the pcs vision web stuff, it seems relatively quick I guess.

4)thera has got an excellent review0 in the new pc mag..great speeds they say
    Check here for some thoughts on the Thera vs the Treo:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=25774
    The thera/pcoket PC should have ability to read office.

GSM/GPRS, well, not an issue if you're using sprint/cdma2000.

Yes, it does have a larger viewing area, and has a nice screen.

But its size and usage/form factor for me are just too big and clunky for a phone.

Obviously this is all an issue of personal preference.
    I do get dropped calls the same place I always did , and in another place as well.
  13.    #13  
    thanks!

So i guess with a new browser (how much does it cost?) speeds are ok...

How many mins do u waste by dialing in and checking mail since theres no push mail on sprintmail?

How does it work with the corporate email-outlook? does one need to install extra sw for it on the servers at work/school or would it work on its own? does it like the BB automatically update what u delete/ send etc from your treo in the outlook as well?

how does it handle attachments?

How much does 8/ 20 MB data give in terms of page views or emails?

lastly how does the msn/yahoo messenger work with it?
    Last edited by athreya; 08/17/2002 at 03:22 PM.
  14.    #14  
    btw

I am told Sprint Vision mean sno analog..so nothing on analog and if you roam outside their OWN network and some selected partner networks we pay roaming..theres no free roaming.Correct?
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Treo is a SINGLE band phone. As such, you can not roam to an analog network, as it does not support analog service.
  16.    #16  
    no posts in a long while ? whats happening )
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    no specific question currently before the group, and a 5 hour hiatus on a saturday night doesnt seem unreasonable ... even harrvard geeks must get out every now and then, no?
    I've had Treo since tuesday, I was provisioned for data and voice in one hour, and I'm getting "pushed" email from my corp server, after downloading both client and workstation software (app for the Treo has to be downloaded and sync'd, software for PC Workstation comes on the CD ROM).

I've downloaded and easily sync'd personal mail using AOL Mail for Palm, and messaging with AOL AIM for Palm.

My phone works in my house (neither a nokia or nextel would work in my house) and that's awesome just by itself. I've had some fades inside, but not once on the road in Southern California have I had an actual dropped call. Zero so far, and I've roamed about 50 mile radius.

the mail functions alone are totally awesome - - I have reset Treo''s buttons and with one press, my work mail is waiting for me, no "syncing" required, no vibrate or sound....it's just there when I want to look at it. And I can respond virtually anywhere I am, and time.

My humble final verdict is there are a few minor annoyances as with any new product, but the mail functions have put both my corp and private email in my hand and this has changed the way I work already....makes it quite easier to navigate the day.
    I am here in the boston area. I had been using the Cingular network before and I have had a few trouble spots with coverage with my Nokia 8260. Since I started my treo, I have noticed better coverage in those areas. I did run into trouble today just south of Portsmouth NH, but that may have just been a software glitch on my Treo.

I am very very hapy with the audio quality. I knew there had been some complaints about the volume of the audio when they launched the 180, but this is awesome. I talk all the time on the speaker phone and when I tell them they are on a speaker phone, they are blown away.

This puppy is as good as advertised and now they finally have the bandwidth to back it up!!!
    Sully
    Boston, MA
    Treo 650 and 700
    Former Treo 300 and 600 Owner
  20.    #20  
    Originally posted by paz5559
    no specific question currently before the group, and a 5 hour hiatus on a saturday night doesnt seem unreasonable ... even harrvard geeks must get out every now and then, no?
    Sure! Btw there are a new set of ques tions posted above for quite a while and no one had answered which is why i asked..why dont you take a look at them pls! Thanks
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast