1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if I can get my Treo to send mail through my road runner account? I could never get it to work on my i300 but then again I gave up 6 months ago. Any help is much appreciated!

BTW - I like the phone but there is one thing that's bugging the crap out of me - I can't get the phone numbers to pop up when I lift the phone cover. It always goes straight to those stupid quick dial numbers that I never use. Anyone know how to make it go to the phone when you open the lid? How about assigning the phone number list to one of those quick launch buttons.

Thanks in advance ,

Tim
    You can't. RR requires you to be connected to their network in order to POP or SMTP. Only thing you can do is use their webmail.
    Issue #1 - Road Runner

You should be able tp check and send email through road runner provided that you have the SMTP (Outgoing) server and POP3 (incoming server) information. You would also need your user name and passrod to set it it up in mail app like Eudora Mail.

Issue: #2:

You can assign the Contact portion of the PhoneBook app to the flip lid using TreoButton or Buttons-T. You can find both of these by doing a search for TREO at www.palmgear.com.

Tip: You can look up a person's contact from the speed dial screen. If you are in the speed dial and want to look up John Doe, simply enter JD and you will be taken to the contact in the Contact section.

Originally posted by tcjohnsson
    Does anyone know if I can get my Treo to send mail through my road runner account? I could never get it to work on my i300 but then again I gave up 6 months ago. Any help is much appreciated!

BTW - I like the phone but there is one thing that's bugging the crap out of me - I can't get the phone numbers to pop up when I lift the phone cover. It always goes straight to those stupid quick dial numbers that I never use. Anyone know how to make it go to the phone when you open the lid? How about assigning the phone number list to one of those quick launch buttons.

Thanks in advance ,

Tim
  4.    #4  
    Sorry, no can do. Maybe you know someone that succeeded. I sure didn't. I can check mail just fine - just can't send it. I'm using the same outgoing smtp server that I use in my outlook express account.

Originally posted by yardie
    Issue #1 - Road Runner

You should be able tp check and send email through road runner provided that you have the SMTP (Outgoing) server and POP3 (incoming server) information. You would also need your user name and passrod to set it it up in mail app like Eudora Mail.

Issue: #2:

You can assign the Contact portion of the PhoneBook app to the flip lid using TreoButton or Buttons-T. You can find both of these by doing a search for TREO at www.palmgear.com.

Tip: You can look up a person's contact from the speed dial screen. If you are in the speed dial and want to look up John Doe, simply enter JD and you will be taken to the contact in the Contact section.

Originally posted by tcjohnsson
    Sorry, no can do. Maybe you know someone that succeeded. I sure didn't. I can check mail just fine - just can't send it. I'm using the same outgoing smtp server that I use in my outlook express account.

Same here.

I use Charter Cable's internet connection. And I can check mail with no problem. But I can not send mail. I get an error when using Eudora Mail on the Treo that says:
    Address Error

An address has error: ****@****.com relaying prohibited. You should authenticate first
    The *'s are just whatever e-mail address I try to send mail to.

I have already sent my ID and password to authenticate. But I am never allowed to send messages, no matter what address I'm trying to send mail to. I can only use the web mail service to send messages .

I also download a trial of One-Touch and had the same problems. It seems the Cable ISPs do not allow the sending of message outside of the web mail page or their own network.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I have Cox High-Speed Internet (Cable Modem) and have been having the same problems. Cox won't let you send mail unless you are on their server. Supposed to help stop spam.

The problem is Cox doesn't have dial-up service so the only way you can access your email is if you are connected at home.

That's pretty dumb of course (and pretty limiting) so they came up with Webmail (http://webmail.cox.net). Which sounds like a good idea except for the fact that you need an internet connection to get to the site.

OK, I have Cingular and am able to get internet access through them on my 180. So problem solved right? Nope, not yet.

Problem is that their Webmail site is Java-based. Which isn't supported by Blazer. (Or the Eurdora browser either). So I was stuck.

Until today when I found out that Xiino supports Java-based sites. So finally, five months after getting my 180, I can send mail through my cox account.

Granted your question was about RoadRunner but hopefully some of my learnings were applicable.

Good luck.

Adam
    The fact is that sprint should open their SMTP to us. Who ever is providing us with access should be responsible to give us outgoing mail. It does not matter what you return address or signature is. Sprint is responsible.

So we should be able to set our SMTP to Sprint's server and our POP to our incoming servers and it should work. If Sprint tries to say, "we only allow for web mail" then that is BS!!! Why should we be forced into using their email service. That is not what tech savvy consumers are going to buy into.

So if sprint will not go along with this, then I say we put a petition together and make them open their SMTP servers to us. It is not like we are going to be doing mass mailings from our Treo's!!!
    Sully
    Boston, MA
    Treo 650 and 700
    Former Treo 300 and 600 Owner
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by cfsully
    The fact is that sprint should open their SMTP to us. Who ever is providing us with access should be responsible to give us outgoing mail. It does not matter what you return address or signature is. Sprint is responsible.

So we should be able to set our SMTP to Sprint's server and our POP to our incoming servers and it should work. If Sprint tries to say, "we only allow for web mail" then that is BS!!! Why should we be forced into using their email service. That is not what tech savvy consumers are going to buy into.

So if sprint will not go along with this, then I say we put a petition together and make them open their SMTP servers to us. It is not like we are going to be doing mass mailings from our Treo's!!!
    Alas my fearless friend, as we are nothing more than mere fish in the sea. A petition will do little to stir any corporate manuever that could minimize an evil empires profit margin. What do you think this Vision plan is all about? The $millions$ Sprint makes every year on "overage" voice minute charges was not enough. It's all about greed. I'm sticking with my old plan - pool from my minutes to check my mail instead of charge me on the amount of data I download. How the heck are you going to keep track of that anyway? A kilobyte can be interpreted into many things. Many users, especially those technically uninclined, will be paying through their noses in the coming months I don't surf the web. Anyone that has a busy lifestyle won't waste their time with surfing on a dimunitive phone at anything but stellar connection speeds. It's awesome for checking e-mail though. If Sprint tries to take away my $5/month web plan (unlimted data - pools from regular minutes) I'm going to Voicestream. Unfortunately, even there will I be a small fish in the sea getting screwed by the evil empires that be.

Cheers
    Spammers have spoiled email for good. There is no way to keep spammers out even if you never surf, don't publish, etc. Some commercial entity must be reading emails in transit and sifting out cc lists and selling the email addresses to advertisers. Just checked my hotmail address which I only use at sites which require registration. I have 234 emails in my inbox that's all spam. There's no way to filter all that stuff because spammers use bogus return addresses which appear to be randomly generated. You can't click "remove me from further offers" because that only guarantees that you'll get more spam. While the internet made BBS's extinct, I miss the ability to check my mail without sifting through the same spam day after day.

So who would want to waste precious 3g data picking up spam?
    David
    You guys should make sure that the SMPT Authetication option is selected in whatever mail client you are using. If that fail, use a cheap dialup provider to get an smtp server. I have heard that BudgetDialup.com is good -- and they support the Treo.
    Originally posted by AdamK
    I have Cox High-Speed Internet (Cable Modem) and have been having the same problems. Cox won't let you send mail unless you are on their server. Supposed to help stop spam.

The problem is Cox doesn't have dial-up service so the only way you can access your email is if you are connected at home.

That's pretty dumb of course (and pretty limiting) so they came up with Webmail (http://webmail.cox.net). Which sounds like a good idea except for the fact that you need an internet connection to get to the site.

OK, I have Cingular and am able to get internet access through them on my 180. So problem solved right? Nope, not yet.

Problem is that their Webmail site is Java-based. Which isn't supported by Blazer. (Or the Eurdora browser either). So I was stuck.

Until today when I found out that Xiino supports Java-based sites. So finally, five months after getting my 180, I can send mail through my cox account.

Granted your question was about RoadRunner but hopefully some of my learnings were applicable.

Good luck.

Adam
    It does not support Java applets.

Attached is the full HTML Spec for what Xiino does support.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Hmm, dunno about the specific-details about what Xiino can and can't support.

All I know (and all I care about) is that http:\\webmail.cox.net will work in Xiino but not in Blazer or the Eudora browser.

So I'm happy.
    Cool, that's all that should matter AdamK. I was not sure it was going to work out.

I wish the SprintPCS Business Connection PC Software supported POP e-mail. I can use the web settings to read mail, but no service out there will allow me to send messages. I don't want to always use Web Mail. If the BC software allowed me to connect to my ISP's mail servers via my PC's cable connection I would be able to send message and life would be that much more sweeter. That's the only thing that is missing for me now. The fact that my ISP will not support outside SMTP connections is not Sprint's fault, but I think they made a mistake in not supporting POP mail in their BC software.
    Have any of you tried MultiMail Pro - it also supports outbound SMTP authentication but may be more robust than the free Eudora client?

Trial is downloadable here: http://www.actualsoft.com/prod_winconduit_demo.htm
    Originally posted by meta_dave
    Have any of you tried MultiMail Pro - it also supports outbound SMTP authentication but may be more robust than the free Eudora client?

Trial is downloadable here: http://www.actualsoft.com/prod_winconduit_demo.htm

Thanks for the suggestion, but no such tool will work with issues like ours. Our problems have nothing to do with authentication in the software. It has to do with being on the provider's network. If we are not on the provider's network we will not get authentication. Our ISPs have done this by design.

We need to be able to have the BC software access our providers SMTP server from "the inside". That's the only way we are going to be able to send messages from our Treo without using Web Mail.
    Hi,

Thanks to the many postings, I installed Eudora for the Treo 300 and had no problems downloading my email from my POP3 server at my university account. However, to send mail from my Treo, I think i need a sprintpcs SMTP server. Does any one know what name I can use for hte outgoing SMTP server? It does not acept my universitys SMTP server, nor does it accept guesses like mail.sprintpcs.com or smtp.sprintpcs.com or pop3.sprintpcs.com.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Noshir,

You've hit upon the main issue.

Many ISP's won't allow you to send email through their SMTP server unless you're logged into their network. Your unversity is apparently like this.

(Note: I suppose it could be an authentication issue for you. But I know for a fact that some ISP's (mine included) don't let you do it at all, authentication or not).

So now you need an SMTP and Sprint doesn't have one. (For what it's worth, I have the 180 and Cingular doesn't either).

So for now you have a few options (I think):
    1. Use a webmail service if your unversity offers it.
    2. Dial-in directly to your unversity's modem numbers
    3. Find a new ISP that supports SMTP authentication.
    4. Resign yourself to not being able to send emails through your university account.

Hope this helps clarify things somewhat.