1.    #1  
    I got my Treo 300 this evening and (after convincing the folks on *2 that it's a legitimate phone) got my existing Free & Clear plan transferred over. The Sprint rep didn't seem to know what "PCS Vision" is, and I didn't want to risk being her test run...

Anyway, my Treo 300 (at least) works fine with the USB cable, Mac OS X, Palm Desktop 4, and (the key) Mark/Space's Missing Sync. I bought Missing Sync to sync my (now eBay listed) Treo 90 with my Mac. The same works flawlessly with the Treo 300.

Disclaimer: this works on my system-- it's not mentioned elsewhere (e.g. on Mark/Space's website), and it might not work for you. Buy Missing Sync and try at your own risk. [I have no affiliation with that company, either...]
    Thanks!

Sent to Mark/Space re Missing Synch for the 300:

>Help!
    >
    >There are many of us with Treo 300s (Sprint PCS phone/PDA from Handspring)
    >but cannot USB Synch to the Mac OS X (or 9 for that matter). One guy can
    >synch to OS X but is using the optional serial cable for the 300 and a
    >keyspan serial to USB adapter.
    >
    >Can you guys figure out what is needed to USB synch for OS X? There are a
    >lot of us out there willing to pay for a solution!

Answer from Mark/space:
    We're looking into it, we just got a 300 today...they werent easy to find!

Watch the site for details.
    hmmmmm..... thats weird.... I tried the missing sync software, and it didn't work with macos 10.15, palm desktop 4...........

what version of osx and what version of missing sync are you using?
    I'm on OS 10.1.5 with Palm desktop 4.0 and it works quickly and without problems.

CW
    I just tried missing sync, OS 10.2, and the Treo 300 and it worked!

although it doesn't seem to work 100% of the time.... haven't figured out when, where, and why yet....
    Last edited by Fikse; 08/18/2002 at 12:19 AM.
    Ok, im appreciative and all of a company creating a solution for mac handheld connectivity, but wouldnt we be paying $30 just for a driver that for all intents and purposes should have been part of the base cost of the unit? I mean hell, the Treo costs $500 already! and this is just so it can talk to my computer like its suppossed to? I think this kinda sucks.

I admit i would have bought a Treo last week as soon as I could, but when I heard these OSX horro stories, Ive been rethinking and waiting. Im hoping for a more official announcemnt from Handspring, or iSync from Mac to bail me out...

sigh. I really want a treo to work for me...
    I too want my Treo 300 to synch with my G4 but I would point out that the side of the box makes no mention of Mac support. If it aint on the box then you are on your own supportwise. Sprint must have chosen not to support it.

I had an i300 from Samsung before and the story was identical.
    You all might remember me from the "Syncs with Mac OS X by IR" thread, but now I want it to sync by USB too. IR is too damn slow, I'd rather die than ever sync by IR again. Sadly, with Missing Sync and Palm 4.0 installed I still am getting nowhere. Oddly, when I plug the Treo into my mac and push the hotsync button it sits on the syncing screen but nothing launches on my Mac. Here's where it get wierd. If I go into "HotSync Manager" and go to the "Connection Settings" tab, it has now 5 devices listed, the new one "USB Modem - <unknown USB Modem>" appears beneath USB. WHY does my mac think my treo is a USB modem??? Any help here would be much appreciated, to personally support me, as I'm sure you'll all be clamoring to do, email me at longday@mac.com
    longday, did you also install wirelessmodem from notifymail?

if so uninstall it..... I think it causes a conflict with the missing sync software....
    Originally posted by Fikse
    longday, did you also install wirelessmodem from notifymail?

if so uninstall it..... I think it causes a conflict with the missing sync software....
    If it does cause a problem, then definitely remove the WirelessModem driver (it doesn't work with the 300, yet, anyway). We're working on an update; when it is finished, it won't interfere with HotSync (the current WirelessModem driver works fine with the 180/270 and doesn't interfere with HotSync).
    I did delete WModem but the configuration called "Wireless Modem" in my "Connections" preferences says I can't delete it because it's a default configuration. I reinstalled all the Palm stuff on my Mac OS 10.2 and it can stilled successfully Sync by IR but not USB. Grrr. Any other suggestions? Why does HotSync seem to think it's a USB Modem?
    FINALLY, I found the offending file Wireless Modem installed and deleted it, and woo hoo Syncing by USB ahhh yeah thank you missing sync! And thank you Fikse for your help too!
    Originally posted by longday
    I did delete WModem but the configuration called "Wireless Modem" in my "Connections" preferences says I can't delete it because it's a default configuration. I reinstalled all the Palm stuff on my Mac OS 10.2 and it can stilled successfully Sync by IR but not USB. Grrr. Any other suggestions? Why does HotSync seem to think it's a USB Modem?
    How did you get HotSync to show USB Modem? This could be the key to getting WirelessModem running.

(I've updated my website indicating that the driver for WirelessModem shouldn't be installed for Treo 300 users.)
    Well I don't know, I simply plugged Treo into Mac, tried to Sync, Treo would go unresponsive, then I would move the USB cable to a free USB port and my mac would see a USB Modem. I however did get Wireless Modem to work as IR, if that's of any interest, way back a week ago when I bought my treo and was experimenting with wireless modem. I used it to dialup to earthlink, it was quite easy.
    Originally posted by longday
    Well I don't know, I simply plugged Treo into Mac, tried to Sync, Treo would go unresponsive, then I would move the USB cable to a free USB port and my mac would see a USB Modem. I however did get Wireless Modem to work as IR, if that's of any interest, way back a week ago when I bought my treo and was experimenting with wireless modem. I used it to dialup to earthlink, it was quite easy.
    OK, thanks; it was probably my WirelessModem driver that created the usbmodem entries (as serial ports). Handspring changed something related the USB in the 180/270 vs. the 300 as evidenced by Palm Desktop 4.0 not working out of the box. This is also causing problems with my WirelessModem driver. I'm hoping to have a fix within the next week or so.
    when had wirelessmodem installed, I would also get the USB modem option..... I selected it in the network preferences and tried to get the laptop to connect, but each time it tried to make the PPP connection it said that a modem error occured.

however, the usb modem option would only appear after I did one hotsync using the markspace drivers....... then the markspace sync wouldn't work anymore....

I've since removed the wirelessmodem software so I can sync via usb.... I am looking forward to the updated wirelessmodem app though.... If you need a beta tester, let me know...