Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Originally posted by wrangler
    bought the treo 300 for my brother for christmas... he likes it and has never ever used a palm device... but on to bigger and better things... so what is the deal with the disconnect issue?... HCTECH... have you figured this out yet?
    Exiting midcast leaves the connection active in a bad way which runs the battery down. Can be kludged by closing the network after exiting midcast, and if you wanted to go to another network app after that like blazer you'd need to start the network again. They should be able to figure it out. I know I'm not going to purchase till this one small issue is resolved.
    David
    Wrangler,

Perhaps this is the best explanation i can give.....

Sprint is a CDMA network which also uses CSD (Circuit Switch Data) to make Internet connections. Therefore, you do make a phone call to Sprint; however, it is shown as Data Usage versus Phone Usage. Please check your Data Usage instead of checking your phone calls. Your connection to the Sprint Network will be constant if your phone is set to “Always connected”. This would be the same behavior that a customer with just a voice plan would experience with being “always connected” to a phone network when the customer has his/her phone turned on.

MidCast is only one of the many programs that uses a Data Connection on your Treo 300. Email is another featured program that can use a Data Connection on your Treo 300. With MidCast, doing a “proper exit” can ensure that you are not requesting or receiving Data from HillCast. Also, in the upper right-hand corner of your Treo 300, please look for “2 green arrows” or “2 black arrows” above your Antenna strength. These arrows are horizontal and both point in opposite directions. With the “2 green arrows”, you are sending and receiving Data. With the “2 black arrows”, you are not sending or receiving Data; however, you are still connected to the network.

With a proper exit, MidCast releases you from the network immediately. Without a proper exit, we will attempt to ping your phone to see if you are still around. After 1-2 minutes, your connection to MidCast will not be active even though you may still see the program on your phone. I would always suggest a proper exit to ensure that your connection is terminated and Data from MidCast is not being sent or received. If you are unsure about terminating your connection, simply turn the phone off and wait for 30 secs – 1 minute. That will cause our servers here to terminate your connection and stop sending information to your phone.
    Ok..... Thanks for the update HCTech. i think i get it now.....

Any word on new data feeds????
    Originally posted by Haywood
    What's up with this disconnect is an issue??? Is this a Treo 300 issue, Palm issue or a midcast issue??? I just want the dam thing to disconnect when I exit.
    Looks like they are not willing to support the treo network disconnect protocols. Imagine if every network program (blazer, email, messenger, pqa's, etc) required one to do a "proper disconnect" after exiting. But they don't. I only know of one email app out of the 15 or so options which has this problem. I deleted it quickly even though it was an otherwise solid contender.
    David
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I downloaded the demo fine and installed all, including Java. It is now asking for a Key which I have asked them to email but have not heard. Anyone have a suggestion for Key?
    ralerner,

check your inbox....

HCTech
    I was trying to screw my device up and lost my apps, including Blazer, Palmasutra, MidCast. I just emailed support and I am wating. IF someone has a copy, could you please send me a copy, I already have a KEY. Thanks,

TrueHorn99
    A spirit with a vision, is a dream with a mission
    TrueHorn.
    Just email support@hillcast.com and we'll get you another copy.
    Hillcast will be able to offer quotes from all US exchanges by mid April. It looks like Midcast will stream quotes from telekurs so all users will be able to get REAL data....
    There will be introductory offers i'm sure....
    Uhhh....... so what kind of intro offers???

Will it be just for US quotes or can i also get the FTSE and DAX? A little clarity would be nice!
  11.    #111  
    Can you run MidCast on the Treo cradle over the internet?
    Thanks

Thanks
    BIG H
    Thanks

Thanks
    BIG H
    If you can get an Internet connection through your cradle, then you should be able to use MidCast with it.

Geoffrey
    Thanks

Thanks
    BIG H
    Why would you want to do that anyway? In any case, I think you could use something like softick PPP to connect via you usb sync cable...
    hey folks...

MidCast Newswire will be available next week. It is a separate application that will give you news headlines from categories like Business, Technology, Political, International, US, Sports and even news of the Strange. It gives the top 10 headlines along with the corresponding story. News content is via the Associated Press. It looks great on the Treo 300!

Cheers.
    ls it stable on the 300 yet?
    Originally posted by copernicus
    Good question. When I downloaded the trial, I had constantly had poblems connecting...and when I did connect Midcast often locked up and gave a fatal error, especially as a tried to exit the app? I would really like to use this app, but it doesn't seem stable enough in its current version...
    Originally posted by copernicus
    And does one still need to disconnect from the network (vision) after exiting the application?
    David
    I just downloaded Midcast to my Treo and found that i did not have to disconnect from the network. It seems that it disconnects if the network is inactive. i just got my Treo though so maybe I need to do more testing.
    I like the application though.
    Originally posted by Sir Robin
    I just downloaded Midcast to my Treo and found that i did not have to disconnect from the network. It seems that it disconnects if the network is inactive.
    Sounds good, I think. Specifically, the issue was after exiting Midcast, the vision double arrows over signal bars would remain green and not turn gray. Being stuck on green meant that the battery would be used up faster and phone calls couldn't come through as the device thought vision was active transferring data. The most current knowledge on this thread was that one needed to go to prefs, network to manually disconnect the network after exiting midcast to make the green arrows turn gray. If that has been fixed, then that's great!
    David
    Sir Robin (a monty python fan perhaps?) is correct. Once inactive, network disconnects itself.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast