Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    I downloaded the latest version last night and misatkenly left it running today after the market opened. Drained my battery to the red in two hours. Is this behavior normal. I've left the wireless and the blazer connection open all day prior to this with little trouble on battery life.

Also, I have 8 stocks listed to update. Some some N/A and understand the reasons. Lower volume and or low price and Island may not provide realtime info. But others, like PBG, are never updated. Why would that be?

Thanks for any insights.
    MRL-MO
    Ok. I bought the version for the Treo, and I downloaded the manual. But I can find no way to edit my stock list. It doesn't work as suggested by the manual. Tapping "Menu" from the list doesn't bring up an edit option. Any suggestions?

Also, Island is fine for tracking the big Naz stocks. Great for shortsellers feasting on the stocks with bad charts and fundamentals. But the data is mediocre at best for tracking NYSE stocks. For example, MCK trades nearly two million shares a day, but the data from Island is nearly worthless - trackinf only a few thousand shares a day. The data for a big, liquid biotech like ITMN is nearly as bad.

MIKE
    mfequity,

To edit your stock list, press the Menu button your your Treo 300. That is the long button on the right side of your thumb-board that has the small blue house-looking icon on it. That will enable you to add/delete, etc....

As for tracking other stocks, we are in the final negotiation stages with different quote providers. When the new data feed is added, we will be able to stream all the major exchanges so users will be able to track NYSE stocks like MCK and PBG.

I will be sure to keep everyone posted on the progress of the new data feed.

If you have any more questions, please let me know. I hope this helps.
    I've spoken with the HillCast folks before, and I've got to agree with what is implied by the last two posts. The product really isn't ready for prime time.

The reasons:

1) Primitive user interface with little documentation
    2) No treo support
    3) Data stream is very limited (mainly Naz stocks)
    4) A sense that they "don't get it" in that they've released the product without acknowledging any of its defects.

This isn't to say that some folks won't find it very useful right out of the box. But for me, #3 is a deal-killer (most of the stocks I track aren't there), and #1 is nearly a deal-killer.

- Marc
    Originally posted by mblank
    I've spoken with the HillCast folks before, and I've got to agree with what is implied by the last two posts. The product really isn't ready for prime time.

The reasons:

1) Primitive user interface with little documentation
    2) No treo support
    3) Data stream is very limited (mainly Naz stocks)
    4) A sense that they "don't get it" in that they've released the product without acknowledging any of its defects.

This isn't to say that some folks won't find it very useful right out of the box. But for me, #3 is a deal-killer (most of the stocks I track aren't there), and #1 is nearly a deal-killer.

- Marc
    The data source is the show-stopper for me as well. If they ever get a complete feed, I'll buy.
    I like the app, but it definetely has some issues. Particularily, for the life of me I can't figure out how to edit my stock list. I'm stuck with the original list that I keyed in when I got it.

Dunc
    Thanks! Pressing the menu key does allow me to edit the list.

The program certainly isn't ready for "prime time" yet. But I will say that it looks like it will be pretty darn good with an improved data feed. For $29 I will put up with some early quirks.

Get much improved data sources and you will sell a ton of these programs.

MIKE
    I agree with Mike. It's better then anything else, frankly there is nothing close to this for this price point and my guess is this, like the rest of wireless will only get better. Way to go Hillcast.
    MRL-MO
    mfequity and mlemke,

We really do appreciate the kind words. We certainly understand
    that additional data is necessary and it is coming soon and I promise to keep all of our users posted of when this occurs.

This has been great feedback for all us here so please feel free to add more comments or simply email me directly. I can be reached at support@hillcast.com.

Plus, always be sure to check the website for details of other things that we are doing (adding new devices, data feeds, trade shows, etc...)
    One other thing.......
    we suggest setting your Prefs to the following options:
    1)Select Prefs
    2)Tap on the Options tab and select Preferences
    3)You will be asked:
    Connect to the data network whenever wireless mode is powered on.
    4)Check the box with your stylus
    5)Select OK
    HCTech

So now with the new Treo 300 version of the software, do we still have to be concerned about disconnecting from the network each time we exit the program? Or, do we just hit Menu and then Exit?

Also, how do you page down if you want to see stocks on a list that exceeds the viewing area of one screen?

Thanks for all your great support.
    Tirepatch,

To page down to viuew more stocks in your stock list, use the button that is on your keypad (or thumb-pad as some call it) that is in the center and looks like a circle cut in half. use the bottom one to page down. I'm afraid that's a poor description and if someone has better knowledge of what that is called, please let us know. Unfortunately, I am doing this all from memory as I do not have a Treo 300 right in front of me right now!
    Tirepatch....
    I apologize for not answering your earlier question. yes, you will still need to disconnect from the network once you exit the application.
    I checked out the HillCast website and found the Treo 300. Man that screen shot looks good. Going to try out the Trial version for a little while; however, I'll probably make a purchase once I see the live streaming data.

Just go to the Hillcast website and choose Treo 300 as your device. Download the files and then HotSync!!!

What could be easier ? I'll keep you guys posted and let you know when I make my purchase.
    Don't go too fast ... you'll find that the current data feed is incomplete and does not include many stocks, as well as the major market indicies. HillCast claims a more complete data feed is coming that will fix this, which is what I am waiting for before I purchase.
    Island quotes are fine for me right now. I mostly trade on Island when I do trade and the quotes are usually representative on Island for the stocks that I trade.

Indices would be nice and I understand that HillCast hopes to offer Indices and well as quotes other than Island quotes.

Thanks for the update and I'll hold on to my horses for now.
    Last edited by emalongred; 11/12/2002 at 05:16 PM.
    Just a heads up for you folks out there..... If you are members at pdafanatic.com or pdagreen.com, MidCast is available for trial/purchase there as well.
    As always, if you ever have any questions, you can email me at support@hillcast.com
    you will still need to disconnect from the network once you exit the application.
    This does not corroborate what you said on page 5 of this thread:

Network disconnect-
    We are currently working to certify Midcast for the Treo 300. One issue in particular that has been brought to our attention is network disconnection. Presently, the trial version of MidCast for the Samsung I300 that many of you are using does not support the same network disconnect protocols as the Treo 300. So when exiting MidCast, you will also need to close your network connection. In order to do this, go to Prefs, select Network and then select Disconnect. The green arrows in the upper right corner serve as an indication as to whether you are connected to the Sprint network or not. ***NOTE*** Leaving the connection open will accelerate battery life.
    I read this thinking the need to disconnect on the Treo300 was a something to be fixed. Then you said:

Just wanted to let you all know that Midcast is oficially certified on this device now. All technical issues have been resolved.
    So first you say the need to disconnect is an issue, then you say all issues have been resolved, then later you say that one must still disconnect. Apparently this issue has not been resolved. When did this "issue" get demoted to "feature" status? Is there any reason why it can't be corrected so one wouldn't have to disconnect from the network after exiting the program?
    David
  19.    #99  
    What's up with this disconnect is an issue???

Is this a Treo 300 issue, Palm issue or a midcast issue???

I just want the dam thing to disconnect when I exit.

Hank
    bought the treo 300 for my brother for christmas... he likes it and has never ever used a palm device... but on to bigger and better things... so what is the deal with the disconnect issue?... HCTECH... have you figured this out yet?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast