1.    #1  
    does the treo 300 have gps built in? as sprint claims that their new gen phone are gps compatible? but from their site, it seems like only a couple phone have gps built in?

does anyone know?
  2. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Originally posted by jimhoyd
    does the treo 300 have gps built in? as sprint claims that their new gen phone are gps compatible? but from their site, it seems like only a couple phone have gps built in?
    I seriously doubt it has full-fledged GPS capability, or we would have heard more about that. However, it may have e911--the ability to pinpoint location by which "cell" the phone is using at that time. That's been something that service providers have been required to have in place soon, and putting the hardware in place for that now makes sense, even if the capability hasn't been activated yet.
  3. jrv
    The Treo 300 has GPS ability of some sort.

Under "Call Preferences" there is an option ("Enable Location Privacy") to block Palm apps from accessing your GPS coordinates. This does NOT block Sprint's access to the GPS information: they can still collect, and sell to marketers, your travel habits.

Phone companies have always known which tower you were nearest: after all, they have to know which tower to route your call to. The new thing is that the FBI wants to be able to track people far more precisely, probably to a couple of dozen yards. With AMPS they could (and did) triangulate signal strength from several towers, but with Sprint CDMA the phone varies signal strength and triangulation is not possible.

I would like to find an app that could display the lat/long, and an app that could disable GPS reporting to Sprint/FBI.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    I know I am nitpicking, but if we are talking about obtaining one's position from cell towers, then we are NOT talking about the GPS system, which is satellite-based.
  5. jrv
    Sorry, my first reply wasn't clear.

Cell providers have always known what tower you're on. They've been able to triangulate your location within the cell on non-CMDA networks.

The problem with that was that the resolution was generally poor, special effort was required to get that information, and the providers couldn't do it real-time on many people in the cell at once.

The FBI requirements now call for all networks (including CMDA) to provide high-resolution location data in real time on many people in a cell. I understand that AMPS and other schemes can meet the rules by investing a lot of money in each tower, but CDMA cannot do so in the towers alone.

Sprint and other CDMA carriers were planning on using GPS (from satellites) in the phone to meet these rules. The wording of the "Enable Location Privacy" checkbox help in the Treo 300 explicitly calls out GPS and implies it's in there somewhere, and that apps can get to the geographic coordinates.

GPS receivers have traditionally been power hogs compared to phones but I assume this is somehow solved.
    I seriously doubt there is any satellite based GPS receiver in the Treo. First of all, it needs direct view of satellites, so it won't work in buildings, tunnels, under bridges, and even trees lower reception quite a bit. Hell, if you have it in your pocket or under a piece of paper, it won't get the satellite reception.

It would be cool to have GPS built in, then I would not have to carry my separate Delorme GPS with me. It works great, though.

- Jerry
    Last edited by gcaussade; 08/24/2002 at 11:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    I have a gps in my car, which seems unaffected by all of the impediments you suggest should degrade its performance
    Last edited by paz5559; 08/25/2002 at 01:22 AM.
    I finally got around to hacking the connector from the car charger so I could hook up to the GPS system in my car. Turned out to be even easier than I thought. There is a PCB inside the connector housing. It already had solder pads mark with V+, Gnd, Rx, And TX. When I first plugged it in and started up Quo Vadis I thought I had blown my Treo. For several seconds I had what I thought was the white screen of death. But Quo Vadis finally fired up, but wasn’t reading the GPS. I thought I was out of luck. I had a similar problem with my Prism when the Sprint Digital link was installed. Whither or not it was turned out I was never able to get the serial port to work unless I removed it. But then I had a brain drizzle. In the Handspring docs pin 4 of the connector is labeled as serial cradle detect. So I looked at pulling it to ground with a jumper. But when I did I noticed that it was connected to a solder pad on the other side of the PCB. I put a solder bridge on the two pads on the backside and a way it went. So now I can connect to my GPS.
    gcaussade and others that have successfully connected the Treo to a GPS: What cable are you using?

I have seen the one here which costs $57.49 after shipping:
    http://www.pcables.com/cat1.html

Is there a cheaper solution? Can one simply use the $29.99 Hanspring Serial Sync cable with a $3.00 Null Modem Connector to make the connection? If yes, this would be cheaper and I could take off the Null Modem and use the cable for syncing (the PN cable can't sync the Treo to the computer).

I asked PN's sales team and they said the above wouldn't work because the cable wouldn't be powered.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Many thanks!
    That should work if you also have the travel charger. The serial cable has a RS232 convertor that requires power. As nothing is said about it being powered by the Treo I would assume that is order to work it needs the charger connected to it.