1.    #1  
    Ok here's an interesting bandwidth tes. Can someone tell me if it is valid?

Go to:

http://rsd.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/goes/hubble.m2-9_neb.jpg

with your favorite browser on your Treo 300.

This is a 61 kb jpeg file.

When downloaded through Xiino it took me about 5 seconds to download this image.

When downloaded through Blazer it took about 7 seconds.

Overall Xiino and Blazer do not seem much different from each other in this bandwidth test. I think Blazer might just "choke" a bit more when it comes to loading larger pages or complex pages. Xiino seems to do a bit better here, but this is very preliminary and subjective and I need to play with them both more before I reach a final decision.

The important thing to note here is that I was able to download a 61k jpg file in about 5 seconds which works out to be about 12k BYTES per second, or around 100 kbps give or take (I suck at math).

This is interesting. Because it implies, as the rest of you are stating, that we are getting bandwidth in line with what Sprint suggests. There is just some other bottleneck (latency, crappy browser, cows farting?)

So. Bottom line: I'll stop *****ing about bandwidth now. But, I will start *****ing about something else soon... don't worry (probably when I get my bill and it's all screwed up from the 6 plan changes this month).

Also, I would still like to get to the bottom line on the network performance. Even though I am able to download a single image very fast, overall my browsing experience is kind of sucky. This could be due to Blazer and maybe Xiino will improve this. It could be due to the slow processor on the Palm or the Palm OS itself. More likely, it is probably latency, as when loading a page you have to request and download several individual components and images, and this I think is where the bottleneck lies. I wonder if there would be some way to improve this on the server side (e.g. you request a web page, the server gathers the whole page and all the components, and then "streams" it to you in one big chunk so you're not pausing to between downloading each piece of the page one at a time). Please forgive my network / internet ignorance if this is a stupid proposal. I thought it might be an interesting idea.

Anyway, I'll post more on Xiino vs Blazer a bit later, plan on loading some large web pages on each browser and seeing how they each do.
    ok

how do you create the underscore mark in the URL
    Originally posted by dmw819
    ok

how do you create the underscore mark in the URL
    It's option-hyphen (which is the letter f), then you have to hit the numeral 0 button (no option), then a small screen will come up with symbol options and hit the spacebar to select the underscore.

Kind of a pain, I know.
    i'm in my house, no receptions bars at all, close to a window, got about seven seconds.....
  5.    #5  
    More tests Xiino v Blazer

Cleared cache on both browsers

went to cnn main web page www.cnn.com

Xiino loaded this page in 20 seconds
    Blazer took 50 seconds

clicked on weather link (this page was 136kb in size)

Blazer took 40 seconds
    Xiino took 26 seconds

Clicked on "world" link from CNN main page (Srry no idea of page size)

Xiino 13 seconds
    Blazer 29 seconds

I think I like Xiino better. More testing to come
    Originally posted by doctorc
    Ok here's an interesting bandwidth tes. Can someone tell me if it is valid?

Go to:

http://rsd.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/goes/hubble.m2-9_neb.jpg

with your favorite browser on your Treo 300.

This is a 61 kb jpeg file.

When downloaded through Xiino it took me about 5 seconds to download this image.
    5 seconds for me too, if I start counting when the browser says 'receiving'. Add another 5 or so from the initial request.

And so you have why it seems slow. Preparing to receive the data takes as long as transmitting the data.
    You can't calculate the bandwith based on the original size of the image because the browsers use a proxy to re-size the image... in the browser, take a look at the info.....

that 60k graphic comes down to only 8k in xiino....

so your only downloading 8k... not 60k....

I like xiino... it is much faster than blazer, partly because the proxy is making everything smaller than blazer's....

for example, I loaded a site in xiino, and it said it was 20k.... the same site in blazer was 60k.....
    I just noticed that xiino is using in image proxy server in japan..... it might be even faster if every image you loaded didn't have to travel to the other side of the world and back before you view it....
    Speed is one thing but let's add better access to the mix. With Xiino I can access ATTBI for my mail. With Blazer and Eudora I can't. The ATTBI site looks like hell but it works.
    what is the deal with attbi anyway.... they don't allow pop access from outside their network? I was setting up eudora on a desktop machine for somebody with an attbi account and it wouldn't connect at work, but worked fine for this person at home.....
    Originally posted by Fikse
    what is the deal with attbi anyway.... they don't allow pop access from outside their network? I was setting up eudora on a desktop machine for somebody with an attbi account and it wouldn't connect at work, but worked fine for this person at home.....
    No, it works. I do it for this Sprint BC thing, and I can do it on my desktop at work (Exchange/Outlook2000). You just have to get the setting right. Let me see here ... quickly, in Outlook, tools>services>add internet email. Set up your account, using attbi settings: mail.smtp.com for both smtp and pop, outgoing requires authentication, and then under "advanced" smtp:465, and pop3 is 995 (very important). Click ssl and that's it. The settings are similar for Sprint BC. Hope I didn't miss something but I know it works. You can send/receive with EudoraMail as well on the Treo, which is nice.
    Oops .. I screwed something up there. The attbi settings are mail.attbi.com (not mail.smtp.com).
    Try downloading a .zip file, or something which isn't going to be modified by the Xiino/Blazer proxies. I just tried downloading a .zip file with Xiino, and even though it couldn't open it, it downloaded the file quite speedily.

I think the results from this, and the fact that EudoraWeb hauls when downloading pages, definitely shows that at least the Sprint network is providing the speeds they are claiming. Something else is the problem with poor browsing performance in Blazer, and to a degree Xiino.

Personally, I'm pretty much satisfied with text only browsing (used to lynx/links on linux). If only I could get good javascript support at the same time, I'd be fairly happy.
    Originally posted by MobileDave
    It's option-hyphen (which is the letter f), then you have to hit the numeral 0 button (no option), then a small screen will come up with symbol options and hit the spacebar to select the underscore.

Kind of a pain, I know.
    Kind of surprising that the "Interview with the Treo Team" article states:
    We also optimized the layout for the types of text that customers will most frequently use on a communicator: emails, short messages, internet-related data (url's, etc.).
    yet they didn't bother to make the underscore easy to get to. It's not exactly rare in URLs. Four keys are without a blue modified version, so they could have squeezed it in.
    Originally posted by MobileDave

No, it works. I do it for this Sprint BC thing, and I can do it on my desktop at work (Exchange/Outlook2000). You just have to get the setting right. Let me see here ... quickly, in Outlook, tools>services>add internet email. Set up your account, using attbi settings: mail.smtp.com for both smtp and pop, outgoing requires authentication, and then under "advanced" smtp:465, and pop3 is 995 (very important). Click ssl and that's it. The settings are similar for Sprint BC. Hope I didn't miss something but I know it works. You can send/receive with EudoraMail as well on the Treo, which is nice.
    What is attbi?

I am using eurdora and pacbell as my mail host. i can receive mail but not send it. i get an error message when it goes to send mail saying "protocol error" so i must have a setting wrong in the Eudora. i am getting the hard part done, retrieving my mail. is tehre another smpt server that you know of that i could access to send my mail?
    attbi= AT&T Broadband Internet (for residential cable Internet). Formerly "@home." Sorry I can't help you with PacBell.