1.    #1  
    It's been a long week. :P

Finally some time off! Just wanted to pass some info to you guys for over the weekend:

1: If you haven't been fully activated, try pwr/off your phone and back on. Then launch browser to be updated. This should work. If any problems you may have to call in.

2. The website is having problems. Some people who had a previous email account and went to vision have had problems w/email, i was told they will have you guys fixed by next thrs. Plus they have some bugs to fix.

3. DO NOT change your password or username (definately don't do it at the same time) Just wait a week or so. Then change all you want (for the love of god please stop doing this, you guys are killing us)

4. Don't try calling this weekend and early monday. Updates will be going on.

Have a nice wekend everyone!
    Originally posted by Bobacus
    1: If you haven't been fully activated, try pwr/off your phone and back on. Then launch browser to be updated. This should work. If any problems you may have to call in.
    I think you mean do a Hard Reset. For people like me who were not getting reprovisioned after changing to a Vision plan, powering off or logging in/off the Sprint network did nothing for me. The Hard Reset cured all.

2. The website is having problems. Some people who had a previous email account and went to vision have had problems w/email, i was told they will have you guys fixed by next thrs. Plus they have some bugs to fix.
    There might be others out there like me who are not even able to see any of the Vision icons in the My Preferences section. I created a ticket and tech is looking into it, because they saw the same issues when they logged in as me.

On a side note, my tech rep last night was told they've been asked to recommend the Xiino web browser when people ask why they can't log in to secure websites requiring ids/passwords that use javascript. Here's the link he told me to go to:

http://sprint.handango.com

Sprint's just becoming their own little marketplace, aren't they? I haven't tried downloading it from there as of yet, but I tried installing Xiino the other day from their parent website with no success. The app didn't come over to my Treo when I did the hotsync. To find it at Handango, do a search for "xiino" at the bottom of the first page.
    Last edited by zippy57; 08/16/2002 at 11:51 AM.
    Bobacus-

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the fact that you are taking time from your personal life to lend a hand. However at times I have found your comments and attitude endemic to all other SPCS support personnel I have dealt with since last Sunday. It's the attitude that **WE** (meaning the customer) are the problem. Just as you are frustrated by working 14hr. days, I have been frustrated that I have spent hours on hold, have been given different stories by each one of your compadres, been asked to not touch a phone that I am paying for service on for over 10 hours and then when an update doesn't work I am told that it is my fault. We're paying for a service that's supposed to work as advertised.

Since number portability is not a reality as of yet, and your employer, as well as the other majors continue to try and block its implementation before the FCC, I'm trapped and can't take a phone number I've had since the Sprint Spectrum days to a more competent provider.
    DO NOT change your password or username (definately don't do it at the same time) Just wait a week or so. Then change all you want (for the love of god please stop doing this, you guys are killing us)
    Here's a better idea. DISABLE the ability to do it on the SPCS website. It's a hell of a lot easier to change a few lines of code than to recover from insulting your customers. I and many others don't really care how much it's killing YOU, we're more concerned that it's killing US, it doesn't work, you know it, and you refuse to pull the option off the table.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    http://www.ginsberg.org
    Originally posted by Gregg
    Bobacus-
    It's the attitude that **WE** (meaning the customer) are the problem. Just as you are frustrated by working 14hr. days, I have been frustrated that I have spent hours on hold, have been given different stories by each one of your compadres, been asked to not touch a phone that I am paying for service on for over 10 hours and then when an update doesn't work I am told that it is my fault. We're paying for a service that's supposed to work as advertised.
    Amen, Brother. I don't mind spending time dealing with issues related to the roll out of a new technology, but I do hate being treated as if the problem is the consumer.
    Originally posted by intractv

Amen, Brother. I don't mind spending time dealing with issues related to the roll out of a new technology, but I do hate being treated as if the problem is the consumer.
    ditto.
    Let me know if you have luck with Xiino. I am ready to uninstall it. I have only been able to get the Xiino page so far. I have actually frozen my system with trying to load some pages.

Originally posted by zippy57
    On a side note, my tech rep last night was told they've been asked to recommend the Xiino web browser when people ask why they can't log in to secure websites requiring ids/passwords that use javascript.
    Sully
    Boston, MA
    Treo 650 and 700
    Former Treo 300 and 600 Owner
    Originally posted by doctorc

ditto.
    Gotta put my own ditto in on top of the others.

We paid hundreds of dollars for this and are not getting what we paid for. Then being looked at as part of the problem. We are the people who will tell others to buy or NOT BUY.

All the while we are locked in the Sprint wagon if we want to keep the same phone number. The telcos need to stop faking like they can't make it happen.

I've got a friend waiting to hear my personal report on if he should consider buying a Treo in the future. The attitude we customers receive ensures I will not advise him to buy now. And it's not your fault Bobacus. You have been most helpful. But Sprint needs to properly train their support staff and people that are signing everyone up for plans. And better test things so that they work as advertised. Or maybe marketing needs some breaks from speaking too soon .
    Originally posted by Gregg
    Bobacus-

Since number portability is not a reality as of yet, and your employer, as well as the other majors continue to try and block its implementation before the FCC, I'm trapped and can't take a phone number I've had since the Sprint Spectrum days to a more competent provider.
    Why do you think they are offer price plans with a 2 year commitment now? Because the telcos are required by Congress (again) to allow us to port our numbers by around Nov. 2003. So they want to make sure as many of us as possible are locked into deals that prevent us from running once we can move our phone numbers to another provider .

When this feature went live in Europe (I think it was Europe) customer's costs to use mobile phones dropped 60%. That's why they are locking us into very long term deals now. And the regular 2G PCS rates have gone up. Tricky, tricky.... (The telcos say the prices are going up because of their increased costs.)
    Just inserting at this point in the thread:

Bobacus Rules!

Thank you for the continued time & energy spent on helping TreoCentral users get through the first days of the new network and new devices.

I agree with some of the other posters, that customer service levels "may not be as expected" (to use a very limp euphemism).

But that doesn't take away from the fact that Fabulous Bobacus Rules.

(we don't want to scare him/her away ... )

Personally, call me a skeptic, but I still have yet to see proof that Bobacus really works for Sprint. As to the 14 hour days, I was on call for Sprint 24 hours a day when I worked for them and it was my responsibility to provide flawless service or fully explain why not. We're working on it was not an acceptable answer.

If I recall correctly, if you work there, there are several departments all fighting over who's problem this is and it's most likely the network side fighting with the billing systems side where is most likely tied into the website that you would like us not to use to do things. Sorry, not our fault.

I'll say it again though, I'll be patient with the service if you'll be patient with my bill payments. Mind if I pay a little late because I'm doing some upgrades this weekend ? Sure the people on this board have an attiute, especially me. Have you noticed telecom stocks going down the tubes ? That's customers voting with their wallets. Don't blame us. Just answer our calls and give us good service.

Gotta admit, I do like the little chirp when my corporate mail hits my Treo 300. Also, being on hold with customer service during my entire 45 minute commute proved I have good coverage.

Let's see...... everyone on hold with customer service = no more bandwidth for data. They don't say voice is a bandwidth hog for nothing. It's much more difficult to divide into chunks and delay for long periods of time.
    Originally posted by PCMusician
    Personally, call me a skeptic, but I still have yet to see proof that Bobacus really works for Sprint. As to the 14 hour days, I was on call for Sprint 24 hours a day when I worked for them and it was my responsibility to provide flawless service or fully explain why not. We're working on it was not an acceptable answer.

If I recall correctly, if you work there, there are several departments all fighting over who's problem this is and it's most likely the network side fighting with the billing systems side where is most likely tied into the website that you would like us not to use to do things. Sorry, not our fault.

I'll say it again though, I'll be patient with the service if you'll be patient with my bill payments. Mind if I pay a little late because I'm doing some upgrades this weekend ? Sure the people on this board have an attiute, especially me. Have you noticed telecom stocks going down the tubes ? That's customers voting with their wallets. Don't blame us. Just answer our calls and give us good service.

Gotta admit, I do like the little chirp when my corporate mail hits my Treo 300. Also, being on hold with customer service during my entire 45 minute commute proved I have good coverage.

Let's see...... everyone on hold with customer service = no more bandwidth for data. They don't say voice is a bandwidth hog for nothing. It's much more difficult to divide into chunks and delay for long periods of time.
    Great post man! Thanks for someone finally asking fcr some proof with the rampant claims of Sprint employees. I am getting sick of the number of different stories coming from people who all work for Sprint. Either they are really, really lost and can't even educate their own staff with the knowledge to sell their own products, or we have a few vain people on this board who are more interested in having attention than trying to help people.

I feel better. Thanks. This was not a direct attack at Bob, just a general resentment for the mis-information being passed around and stated as fact.

While customer service does usually suck with Sprint, I have found it hard to find a company that provides excellent customer service at all levels. Think about it, these people are under-paid (like we all are), over-worked, usually under-trained, are placed in a noisy room with MANY other people, have a time limit that dictates how long they can give support to each customer, and are having people gripe and yell at them all day long. What kind of a job is this? I know, I used to do this job! Give them some credit and talk to them as equals. While we are customers, but you should not treat them less than equal.

Finally, PCMusician, what did you do for Sprint and what are you doing now? I am always a little curious about what becomes of Sprint people.

If you guys think I am out of line, please feel free to point out my mistakes.

homer
    But if you think I am right, then people who claim to be working for Sprint need to provide us wtih some real information. Not corporate secrets or your work email, but some realy answers to the questions we are asking. Please stop posting answers just because you think it sounds good or you might have heard from someone who might have heard from someone who might actually have been to a training once.

And to everyone else, please help me by not accepting all information as fact without documented proof, or a real 8-5 Sprint employee confirming the facts. Sounds cheesy, but the truth is out there. Someone can usually find supporting documentation on the web regarding just about anything.

homer
    cfsully, you wrote...

Originally posted by cfsully
    Let me know if you have luck with Xiino. I am ready to uninstall it. I have only been able to get the Xiino page so far. I have actually frozen my system with trying to load some pages.

I had *exactly* the same experience today, of all places, at the Sprint sign-on page!!! :-) Ironic.

I'd suggest Spring PCS take another look at Xiino. I think there must be a glitch between its inner workings and those of the 300. I'm ready to uninstall it too. I like several features ... but it froze today and unfortunately was locking up the processor in some kind of endless loop, tying up the MIPS or something... using lots of energy, I think. I say that because 30 minutes after closing the flap, when the display was dark and things should have been shut down, I took it back out of my pocket and the back was hot to touch... and the battery had run down in the red zone! So... it wasn't suspended like Blazer suspends. I guess I'm glad I didn't buy it first.
    Doug
    Doug,
    I don't think Sprint has looked at the Xiino browser at all. They are not real big on supporting any apps outside of what they launch with the phone. I am just glad that they put a browser on the phone at all! It was more than I expected from them with the rush to 3G.
    For any realy application support, you are going to have to find a major compnay that has interest in using the application on Sprint's network. If it brings in major cash, then they will give it attention. Other than that, you are going to have to go to Handspring or an application developer.

homer
    Well, I might not be able to figure out how to send and receive SMS messages on my 300 :-), but one thing I *can* vouch for... Bobacus (whose real name is Rob) really does work for Sprint. I was the one on hold with him, in Tier 2 the other night, when he kept asking me where I was getting these ideas and this information. (Some might recall that it was a poster on this board, suggesting the hard reset, that helped me get out of a sickening endless loop that was keeping me from activating my phone!) True, our good friend Rob tried, in a very roundabout way, to take credit for having helped me solve the problem (I reminded him on the phone call that the idea had originated on this board, rather than with him; but I'll grant him this; once he heard it, he was indeed insisting that I should try it even though I was reluctant and didn't think it would help... so it *did* indeed seem that he had helped solve the problem through the hard reset). But in spite of that slight glitch... and his just slightly offensive patronizing attitude :-) (that those at TreoCentral shouldn't be trying to fix everything -- leave that to the Sprint Tech Support), he still said... "Now, where's that site again?" I gave him the web URL, we hung up, and about 5 minutes later, he posted here, speaking with sentences that very definitely linked him with our call.

So -- bottom line: Bobacus really is tier 2 tech support at Spring PCS Vision.

Doug

PS. And by the way, SMS messages *still* crash my 300 with this fatal error message on the screen, forcing me to soft reset:
    /Src/SMSRoutine.c, Line: 282, No SMS DB refnum"
    Several Sprint techies told me to complain to Handspring. Trouble is, Handspring isn't accepting customer support on the 300. They say Sprint it handling all the tech support. How do I say, "runaround" in a nice way, without offending anyone at either place? :-) Can anyone help me do SMS? (I know... that's a different thread. Sorry. I'm just desperate. :-) )
    Doug
    I just want to warn everyone on these boards - employees comign out on the boards and talking are a GIFT, and they might not last long (some companies will not allow employees to discuss anything to do with the company to the public). If we offend them, scare them, or harass them to a point of them not wanting to participate we are destroying a very very valuable resource.

For this, I want to thank the employees who have come out and attempted to help users of TreoCentral - it does take a lot of time to kep up with the baords, and Sprint's already working you hard

As for bobacus - There is no way that he is not real. Expecially concerning the last point in the update thread, the only way he would of known that is if he was an employee. I've heard from internal sources the same that an update will happen this weekend.

So please, everyone here, while I'm not trying to defend anyone too much, please keep flames down, please be respectful, and jsut try to be a good community.

cheers!

-miradu
    Originally posted by miradu

As for bobacus - There is no way that he is not real. Expecially concerning the last point in the update thread, the only way he would of known that is if he was an employee. I've heard from internal sources the same that an update will happen this weekend.

So please, everyone here, while I'm not trying to defend anyone too much, please keep flames down, please be respectful, and jsut try to be a good community.

cheers!

-miradu
    And a customer service rep mentioned the same update earlier this week, so I wouldn't consider it as purely internal information. Rob emphatically stated "no unlimited data" causing many megs of discussion and while employees truely can be a gift, they need to be questioned just like employees in any other business. Remember, we are customers of both Sprint and Handspring, and we have the right to question both what you say and what they say. SF Bay Area users were treated to a preview of the Voicestream Sidekick today and lots of people were foaming at the mouth. Discussion like this is healthy, but remember, without us you make no money and have no company.

Nobody here is being irate or vulgar to I consider this board a notch above the average usenet group but we can't just take everything at face value.
    Originally posted by miradu
    I just want to warn everyone on these boards - employees comign out on the boards and talking are a GIFT, and they might not last long (some companies will not allow employees to discuss anything to do with the company to the public). If we offend them, scare them, or harass them to a point of them not wanting to participate we are destroying a very very valuable resource.

For this, I want to thank the employees who have come out and attempted to help users of TreoCentral - it does take a lot of time to kep up with the baords, and Sprint's already working you hard

cheers!

-miradu

You are right about Sprint not wanting its employees getting on a board like this. Any information that come close to crossing the line with confidentiality will result in people losing their jobs. That's one reason I doubt people who claim to be Sprint employees. They have too much to loose and to little to hide who they really are. I would find it easier to believe someone who did not claim to be a Sprint employee but provided excellent information that was always credible.

Just my thoughts. How many people are on this board from Sprint trying to give everyone good information? How many people on this board are against Sprint and are trying to plant seeds of discontent?

Rob, if you are a Sprint employee, thank you for your help and information. Just be aware and be cautious.

homer
    This thread has ended, and is now has nowhere to go. For that reason it will be closed.

Final thought: Many users on this board have been very frustrated, and often rude to the people that have participated on these boards. Becuase of this, some won't be with us anymore. It takes a great amount of time to keep up, and that time is even more if you are already working 14 hour days. Thank you for your help.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff