1.    #1  
    Ok

after insisting on tier 2 support (thanks guys) and with my IT staff in the room on conference call we reloaded BC workstation and client software.

Tweaked Outlook (not outlook express) to be my default mail app in WinPro2000.

Once you zap the client BC app to Treo with a separate download and sync (download from bc.sprintpcs.com) you then use this applet to enable "sms" version of "you've got mail" prompt.

Then the bc.sprintpcs.com logon. You have to register with a different username and password, your name, etc. these are DIFFERENT usernames than Treo itself. This is a separate login and password you can choose at registration.

Then once registered and logged in, one is allowed the "settings" tab, and you configure BC on the web site, and some settings on the workstation BC software you must also download and install or use the CD ROM that came with the Treo.

With server info, which device to send the information to, and enable notification in the fairly straightforward tabs. You are done.

After what I think was four hours, Lo and behold.....it's sort of a "push" but not really. I rec'd the first one in ten seconds.

You get an SMS message telling you there is new mail....you tap the screen, and you do a wireless sync "pull," you sync with your server, it sends new mail.

So you are SMS notified you have mail....but unless we've missed something, you must tap a key to confirm and then it syncs, you get new mail, and you can read it.

That said, it works GREAT. I bought my Treo two days ago and I'm activated, provisioned, streaming web is getting faster, and now I'm connected to my outlook contacts, documents (!) in word, business data, etc. All in all, it took IT on both sides of the equation to figure this out.....about 16 person hours.

I never had a 2G phone, last iteration for me was Palm VII and that sucked.

This rocks.
    dmw819... I do not get sent an SMS message or push any sort of button and... YES new mail is pushed to my TREO automatically.

In the BC Palm client select "push" in the preferences. Don't worry about configuring the SMS alerts on the web site... Perform one manual synch. After that your email (or at least mine) is push to my Palm client with 45 seconds (I have been timing them) of arriving on the mail server. My mail server is Lotus Notes. I get a beep alert and vibrate when new mail arrives. I press the jog dial to bring up the bc mail client & presto the new mail is there waiting for me to read.

I can not say enough how cool this is!
    Roger
  3.    #3  
    ok

you configure the BC client software applet on the Treo, right?
    Originally posted by RLewis
    dmw819... I do not get sent an SMS message or push any sort of button and... YES new mail is pushed to my TREO automatically.

In the BC Palm client select "push" in the preferences. Don't worry about configuring the SMS alerts on the web site... Perform one manual synch. After that your email (or at least mine) is push to my Palm client with 45 seconds (I have been timing them) of arriving on the mail server. My mail server is Lotus Notes. I get a beep alert and vibrate when new mail arrives. I press the jog dial to bring up the bc mail client & presto the new mail is there waiting for me to read.

I can not say enough how cool this is!
    Do you have smart sync turned on ?
    I get mail automatically pushed to me just like a blackberry.

On the client select custom sync, push, no sync, no alert.

Don't remember server settings.
    Few more questions about Business Connection:

1. Are you using Business Connection with an e-mail account behind a firewall?
    2. Does this mean that you only receive the push e-mail when your desktop computer is on?
    3. Must the desktop computer be on to check your e-mail manually as well?
    4. Does Business Connection allow you to access more than one account (i.e., can you also check a pop account)?
    Many of your questions can be answered here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=25818

Originally posted by jayem
    Few more questions about Business Connection:

1. Are you using Business Connection with an e-mail account behind a firewall?
    2. Does this mean that you only receive the push e-mail when your desktop computer is on?
    3. Must the desktop computer be on to check your e-mail manually as well?
    4. Does Business Connection allow you to access more than one account (i.e., can you also check a pop account)?
    Sully
    Boston, MA
    Treo 650 and 700
    Former Treo 300 and 600 Owner
    I've realized that when my mail gets pushed to the Treo with Business Connect, my data session remains connected and I have to manually go in to disconnect. Has anybody experienced this? Will the Treo automatically disconnect from the data session after push or remaina active?
  9.    #9  
    Ok

Now I got a PUSH!

you MUST turn off "alerts" on the Treo handheld in the BC client software and choose "push" ONLY in the custom sync menu.

you must go to bc.sprintpcs.com and login

in the Alerts Tab choose "turn off all alerts."

in the Device Tab DO NOT check "receive alerts on this device.

VOILA!
    There is a new Reply to post 'mail "push/pull"procedure' at TreoCentral.com.