1.    #1  
    I downloaded fireviewer from:

http://www.fireviewer.com/index.html

I loaded some of their streaming video..... pretty choppy.... but yes, it does stream.... no sound though...

Fireviewer also lets you load any graphic directly from a website without resizing the graphic and without going through a proxy...... I loaded a 62k graphic in 12 seconds...... roughly 5.1k/sec.....
    Originally posted by Fikse
    I downloaded fireviewer from:

http://www.fireviewer.com/index.html

I loaded some of their streaming video..... pretty choppy.... but yes, it does stream.... no sound though...

Fireviewer also lets you load any graphic directly from a website without resizing the graphic and without going through a proxy...... I loaded a 62k graphic in 12 seconds...... roughly 5.1k/sec.....
    Which is 40.8 kbps, is the best I've heard yet.
    Is that 62kbyte's of compressed or uncompressed data? I'd be impressed if thats the compressed size.

I do agree with many posters that blazer seems quite slow even rendering data from its own cache.
    Originally posted by work_permit
    Is that 62kbyte's of compressed or uncompressed data? I'd be impressed if thats the compressed size.

I do agree with many posters that blazer seems quite slow even rendering data from its own cache.
    If it was a "graphic" it was probably already compressed.
    I just downloaded fireviewer. WHen I downloaded a 17K file, I noticed fireviewer just sat there for 10 seconds, then showed a black bar incremetning (which took 3 seconds). It did the same when I reloaded the file (deleting it from cache first).

So, using the full 13 seconds I'm getting 10kbps. Using 3 seconds I get 45kbps.

The question. What is fireviewer doing when its just sitting there? If its "secretly" downloading data in the background thats one thing. If its waiting for a website, its something else.

BTW, I agree the data they're showing is "compressed" size (the 17k file is 160x160 16 bit color which would be 51k uncompressed)
    My guess is that it takes 10 seconds for your request to get from your phone to the tower to sprint to the internet to the server and then the response was at full speed. A good test would be to load a larger file and see if the 10 seconds says the same, while the real transmission part says at that same data rate you observed.
    A 46 K file sat there for 10 seconds. Then it downloading something very quickly. Then it sat there for 5 seconds. Then It dowloaded something in 5 seconds.

I repeated the above several times (deleting the files). I could be off by a second or so.

I agree, It looks like the first 10 seconds is network latency.

Sounds like throughput is, as sprint advertised, 40-50kbps. Kudos, Bobacus, we should never have doubted you!

Now, question. Is the general suckiness of our web experience blazer or sprint IP network latency?
    Last edited by work_permit; 08/15/2002 at 09:35 PM.
  8.    #8  
    we'll find out soon.... as soon as someone gets a laptop working with the treo 300 as a modem and does some solid tests....
    Originally posted by Fikse
    we'll find out soon.... as soon as someone gets a laptop working with the treo 300 as a modem and does some solid tests....
    Or uses the vision PC card
    Aren't these fireviewer tests enough evidence? I was the orignal observer that a laptop test would be conclusive, but these tests seem to show fairly conclusively that the newtwork is cabale of higher throughput than what we observe through blazer
    Originally posted by work_permit
    Aren't these fireviewer tests enough evidence? I was the orignal observer that a laptop test would be conclusive, but these tests seem to show fairly conclusively that the newtwork is cabale of higher throughput than what we observe through blazer
    It has to be Blazer then.

So lets start testing better browsers. Anyone done any conclusive tests?
    As far as I'm concerned the Blazer is slow.

If you try Xiino you should see a speed increase.

If you try EudorWeb, which is text only, the thing just flew, I couldn't beleive my eyes. You watch the byte count on the bottom of the screen and it is easily dfoing 5/k s second with none of those horrible pauses the blazer goes through.

At this point it I think it will really be up to the browser developers to squeeze more juice out of these palm devices, which are just horrible at rendering anyways.

That being said, I think my treo runs quite fast with the exception of blazer and am rather happy with the speed.

-James
    Good throughput?!

Well, I came here to comment that my local Sprint PCS store is actually being honest. I was one of them not liking the surprise of 1KB/sec and that Sprint people where still claiming 5-6KB.

I went to see for myself, a second time, at the Sprint PCS store. Let's just say, they pushed the truth to the limit in the past. However, this time I asked if I could see the laptop PC Card in action and test the network speed.

They said that someone had bought the card, and that they recommended that I wait 1 or 2 weeks before I purchase it. Right now, the network is not performing as expected.

As to the issue of network latency. You are being way too nice. Latency is the issue, if it where not, we would be at 144kbps. The 50-60 is supposed to take latency into consideration. In other words, the bandwidth and latency increase with other users on the system.

I have downloaded fireviewer, but still have not used it. Are you certain you are not seeing a form of compression happening? The image must be compressed before coming over the network. If not, then it's a lousy algorithm. The decompressed image is bigger. So if you bring down a 100K image, then the actual file is much smaller. I am not saying this is happening, I am just very suspicious.

So kudos to Sprint. Someone is being honest after all. I liked the fact that they stopped me from buying the device. My respect has skyrocketed. (Unbelievable un-Sprint like...sorry to sound so negative, but I know many of you know what I mean.)

I would really like to see Sprint win in all this. It would be nice to see this industry start making money again.

I am a bit confused now. Here you guys are concluding that the speed is 5KB/sec, and the store admits it is not. O well, welcome to high tech.

Double-check your assumptions on fireviewer and any other application that may be compressing files, and quickly decompressing on the Treo.

-Jerry
    Originally posted by gcaussade
    Good throughput?!

Double-check your assumptions on fireviewer and any other application that may be compressing files, and quickly decompressing on the Treo.

-Jerry
    How could fireviewer be compressing things? Aren't most images pre-compressed with GIF or JPG encoding? Perhaps you found some .tiff or .bmp, but you don't see many of those on the 'net.
    Originally posted by Iggie

How could fireviewer be compressing things? Aren't most images pre-compressed with GIF or JPG encoding? Perhaps you found some .tiff or .bmp, but you don't see many of those on the 'net.
    Is it possible fireviewer is reporting the size of the download as it uncompresses ? This stuff is very complicated. It's amazing it even partially works. I'm in a rare moment of giving in to the system.
    I just turned off my graphics on Blazer, and I couldn't believe my eye's. I lost all of the nice pictures.
    Originally posted by superjimbo801
    As far as I'm concerned the Blazer is slow.

If you try Xiino you should see a speed increase.

If you try EudorWeb, which is text only, the thing just flew, I couldn't beleive my eyes. You watch the byte count on the bottom of the screen and it is easily dfoing 5/k s second with none of those horrible pauses the blazer goes through.

At this point it I think it will really be up to the browser developers to squeeze more juice out of these palm devices, which are just horrible at rendering anyways.

That being said, I think my treo runs quite fast with the exception of blazer and am rather happy with the speed.

-James
    Holy smokes I could not agree with you more. It is Friday PM here and things have slowed down and it's after hours. I just popped Xiino on my Treo 300 and it's like a completely different machine. Blazer was SOOO much slower than Xiino.

I don't like the Xiino user interface very much, but it displays web pages much better than Blazer, and it is WAYYYY faster -- you are right, no more horrible pauses. I get a consistent download rate, and it is pretty good.

I would put it on average around 4k BYTES per sec (40kbps). This is a vast improvement over the 10kbps I was getting with Blazer.

Also note that I did this test inside my office (which is pretty much nuclear bomb proof) and I only had 1 signal bar. So it would probably be even better than this.

Yay Xiino. I'm going to go register it now. Sweet.