OK, can anyone tell me how to find a contact by company name in address book? It only lets you look up by first or last name. This is a big problem for me because I can't search my large database of customers by company. So it's totally useless. I just got a Treo 300 last week. If you can help, let me know. Is this a problem for anyone else?

Thanks.
    Sort by company is not a standard feature on any palm powered device.

You have quite a few options though:

1. Use the find function - press Blue option and the shift key (left of the space bar) and simply search for the company name.

2. Use another addressbook application like ActionNames DateBook which supports sorting by company name. It is fully dial enabled for Treos. I find it a little slow personally.

3. My favorite is a new application called 321Contact from www.airtreve.com. It looks great, works with your existing contact database and supports sort order of company name: last name. This is very well integrated with smartphones like Treo. It is a commercial product with a demo which times out. You install it and remap the PhoneBook button to this instead.

4. There are also a few older AddressBook replacements like AddressBook plus and AddressBookPro which do the same thing but without dial enabling.

The key factor with all these applications is that they use the standard Palm addressbook data. They simply provide an alternative way of looking at/using the data.
    Not true meta_dave. On my Palm Vx, when you go to Address Book, Options/Preferences, you have 2 choices: to list by Last name, First name or by Company name, Last name. It seems to me like such an obvious option to have for an address book, that I can't understand why it's changed on the Treo, specially since I like the Treo so much.

I'll try the 321Contact. Thanks for that passing along the info.

Joe
    Handspring took out the sort by Company feature because:

a. It is redundant with the the fast look up feature. Type in 2 or 3 letters and bang -- you find your contact.

b. adding company sort would mess up the search alogorithm badly and would slow things down considerably.

Originally posted by joeg
    Not true meta_dave. On my Palm Vx, when you go to Address Book, Options/Preferences, you have 2 choices: to list by Last name, First name or by Company name, Last name. It seems to me like such an obvious option to have for an address book, that I can't understand why it's changed on the Treo, specially since I like the Treo so much.

I'll try the 321Contact. Thanks for that passing along the info.

Joe
    Originally posted by yardie
    Handspring took out the sort by Company feature because:

a. It is redundant with the the fast look up feature. Type in 2 or 3 letters and bang -- you find your contact.

b. adding company sort would mess up the search alogorithm badly and would slow things down considerably.
    Yardie, this is exactly the problem. The fast look up feature, which is great, is useless when I'm trying to search for XYZ Company and I don't know the contact's name. And that's 90% of what I'm looking for when I'm using the Treo, is looking up customers by company.

These 3rd party programs others have recommended are all much clumsier compared to the elegant fast look up you mention. Type 2 or 3 letters and bang -- I should be able to find XYZ Company. But all that comes up are listings by first or last name.

This is a totally crippling omission to an otherwise great business tool. I don't understand why more folks aren't complaining.

Having company sort an option as on other Palms would not mess things up. The search algorithm would just change to sort for company and last name instead of first name and last name. This baby could do that fine if it was an option.
    Using FindHack I put in the company name and bingo, I have a list of the contacts attached to that company. I prefer that over a slower contact application.
    ------------------------
    Living life like I don't know when it will end.
    ---------------------
    Just bought the FingerDial for $12.99. Their webpage is www.fingerclick.com This will solve your problem for sure. I love it.
    Ed
    You can also use TAKEphONE (www.shsh.com)

- It allows searching in all or any of this fields:
    First name, Last name, Company, Title, Custom1-4

- You can search at field start / word start / or inside words.

- For super-fast searching - use "Turbo" mode, which uses the
    database sort (hence works only on Last-First or First-Last).

Also - "Hands-free" operation (no stylus), Treo keyboard support, Jog-Dial support..

Ain't competition great ?!?!
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    I use "Sort by company" exclusivley on my Prism, and I also was very disappointed that it was removed from my new Treo 90. It forced me to use "Action Names" for my contact list. I had used "Action Names" for my calander for a long time. I like it pretty well for contacts now.
    It was silly to take this feature out of the Treo. I hope Handspring remedies this.
    Doug
    visit us at www.tdscomputer.com
    As I mentionewd above, there are technical reasons why Handspring leave this feature out. I am sure that Handspring knows that the Sort by Company option is an essential feature for biz folks, I would be willign to bet that some of the execs used the function themselves when they had their old Visors.

Originally posted by TDSComputer
    I use "Sort by company" exclusivley on my Prism, and I also was very disappointed that it was removed from my new Treo 90. It forced me to use "Action Names" for my contact list. I had used "Action Names" for my calander for a long time. I like it pretty well for contacts now.
    It was silly to take this feature out of the Treo. I hope Handspring remedies this.
    Doug
    crap workaround
    not wanting to use more third party software i've gone into all of the contacts that i want to find by company which isn't too many and cut and pasted the company name before the first name. Now it sorts by First Name Last Name but shows company first name last name. Sounds crap but in practise it's perfect.