Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Had an interesting experience with Blazer last night. I downloaded a 74K RTF file, just to see what would happen. It appeared to pour in in about 1 second. However, nothing showed on the screen (Blazer choking on a big bite? Inability to display RTF? Maybe nothing really downloaded?)

Anyway, this may have been the speed we were offered...

FWIW, I live about 40 miles north of San Francisco, this was about 11 pm, and I had a couple of bars of signal strength (but not the max).
    Kami
    Interesting... When Ricochet was offering high speed wireless the results did not "appear" to be 10 times slower than promised and DirecTV's signal though it's from a satellite does not "appear" to run 10 times slower than advertised either. Only Sprint's 3G service is coming in very far under specs. So I can't beleive it's a mass of cows farting or slow machines all over.

Bottom line is that Sprint's service currently is not meeting specs when other wireless services have been able to do much better.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Originally posted by doctorc
    [B]

... when sprint advertises as 50 to 70kbps average throughput ... and it has not lived up to most of our expectations. Is it faster than 2g? Some say so, I personally disagree. Is it faster than 56k dialup -- absolutely not./B]
    Doc, once again, your expectations are unrealistic. 2g technonogy had a theoretical max of 9.6 kbs, and performed at between 50-75% of that most of the time. Your yourslf have reported Sprint running at 10kbs, so even if we take your numbers as accurate, it is still faster than 2g's maximum theoretical speeds.

56k modems included data compression algorithms, which enabled up to 6:1 compression ratios. Software modems take advantage of this, but most serial ports limit maximum transfer rate to 115.2k. With a 48k connect and 6:1 compression, a data rate of 288kbps is the theoretical max of a 56 k modem.

Bottomline ... you will NEVER see downlaod speeds on a 1xRTT system that rival those of current day modem technology, and it is unrealistic of you to expect so.
    I'm going back to the billing discussion... too much about cows here. We can all cry about our bills when the data starts pouring in. Wouldn't it be funny if we had to say "wait a minute, slow down the data until my refinance is approved."
    I've posted this in another thread but seems apt here too:
    http://colearn.com/configtest/TEST1_5.htm
    I believe this to be a reliable web testing of connection speed. Do it a few times in a row and you will know what you are getting and then post the results. Very curious what you are getting. .. still waiting for the phone to arrive from Handspring myself.
    Originally posted by pythonron
    I've posted this in another thread but seems apt here too:
    http://colearn.com/configtest/TEST1_5.htm
    I believe this to be a reliable web testing of connection speed. Do it a few times in a row and you will know what you are getting and then post the results. Very curious what you are getting. .. still waiting for the phone to arrive from Handspring myself.
    I don't know how long that was suppose to run, but my Treo appeared to do an auto-shut-off after a few minutes. I keep turning it back on and tried to let it run for about 10 minutes but nothing ever came back. I think the page probably uses some script that Blazer can't handle .
  7.    #27  
    Originally posted by Gary G. Little
    The question, though, is what is the bits per second, and not how fast you can download a given page. If the bits per second is 144K bits per second then a slow download could be because of a slow leg in the network between the transmitter and the receiver.

DoctorC, maybe all your packets are being routed through Dairy Land?

Gary
    Moooooooooooooooo ;P
  8.    #28  
    Originally posted by paz5559

Doc, once again, your expectations are unrealistic. 2g technonogy had a theoretical max of 9.6 kbs, and performed at between 50-75% of that most of the time. Your yourslf have reported Sprint running at 10kbs, so even if we take your numbers as accurate, it is still faster than 2g's maximum theoretical speeds.

56k modems included data compression algorithms, which enabled up to 6:1 compression ratios. Software modems take advantage of this, but most serial ports limit maximum transfer rate to 115.2k. With a 48k connect and 6:1 compression, a data rate of 288kbps is the theoretical max of a 56 k modem.

Bottomline ... you will NEVER see downlaod speeds on a 1xRTT system that rival those of current day modem technology, and it is unrealistic of you to expect so.
    Interesting point. Perhaps I have been misguided then, to think that we should be expecting download speeds near 56k modem speeds. I guess I just got the wrong impression from Sprint's advertising.

I have a hard time imagning most of us taking pictures with our digital cameras and beaming them across the high speed wireless web to our family members though. I just don't see it happening until the technology improves (either Sprint fixes the network, if it truly is "broken" -- or they upgrade it to a faster technology).

Perhaps my expectations of this technology are too high. I was under the impression that the 3g experience would be equivalent to or better than a 56k dialup connection. I'm not quite sure where I got that impression. Maybe Sprint advertisining, maybe rumors on the net, maybe my misconception that 144kbps max and 50 to 70kbps average should be better than a 56k dialup.

I venture to say that I am not the only one disappointed. Maybe my technical knowledge is not as vast as some of you, so that is probably the cause for some of this disappointment (i.e. I am not well informed of the limitations of this technology). But to the average joe user, I think they are going to be disappointed too -- the marketing and the information out there would lead the average user to believe that 3g is about as fast as a 56k modem if not faster. It clearly is not (as you have stated above).

This is a bummer, and I think many people are going to be bummed out about this, not just myself. There are others here now that complain of this.

At any rate, I remain disappointed and unimpressed with 3g. I'm not cancelling my service or taking back my sweet Treo 300 though
  9.    #29  
    Originally posted by PCMusician
    I'm going back to the billing discussion... too much about cows here. We can all cry about our bills when the data starts pouring in. Wouldn't it be funny if we had to say "wait a minute, slow down the data until my refinance is approved."
    Hehe, seriously, I'd love it if there the data came in faster than I could afford. But for right now, I don't even really see that I'll be using more than my 2 megs (I 'downgraded' because I'm a cheap-*** but also because I didn't think I'd be able to actually use 8 megs at the current throughput rates -- I don't have enough free time).
  10.    #30  
    Originally posted by darnell

I don't know how long that was suppose to run, but my Treo appeared to do an auto-shut-off after a few minutes. I keep turning it back on and tried to let it run for about 10 minutes but nothing ever came back. I think the page probably uses some script that Blazer can't handle .
    Same here. After 8 minutes I gave up.
    Try

http://www.cnet.com/internetservices/g/bm/

to test your bandwidth in Xiino. Won't give you a real number, just un unprintable download page, but time it. Seems to get me up around 30-40kbps.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12