Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    As folks know, sprint offers a way to access Outlook email behind a corporate firewall, and now www.wirelessknowledge.com offers another nice option for doing this on smartphones, pdas, or just the web. Both of these options seem to have reasonable security as part of the package, but my question is: 1) are there any legal issues in doing this and 2) how "upset" would corporate IT get in hearing about their employees doing this? In my view, this technology should be readily available in today's "mobile" world, but I wonder if our IT folks, who seem to be extremely "conservative" (I realize some might just say "careful") would be upset at doing this.....
    Originally posted by pdadoc
    As folks know, sprint offers a way to access Outlook email behind a corporate firewall, and now www.wirelessknowledge.com offers another nice option for doing this on smartphones, pdas, or just the web. Both of these options seem to have reasonable security as part of the package, but my question is: 1) are there any legal issues in doing this and 2) how "upset" would corporate IT get in hearing about their employees doing this? In my view, this technology should be readily available in today's "mobile" world, but I wonder if our IT folks, who seem to be extremely "conservative" (I realize some might just say "careful") would be upset at doing this.....
    There has been a great deal of discussion on this under the Business Connection threads. Basically, the IT department, following their usual strict "laws" concerning data security as well as their usual desire to be involved with all things concerning IT, would be upset if they knew this software was running on PCs within the enterprise. Additionally, the peer-to-peer aspects of the software would also drive them nuts.

Keep in mind that SPCS was brilliant in how they constructed and marketed the software. The principal marketing of the Business Connection software is to businesses where the IT department would be the ones that would be involved with the discussions. Business Connection for the personal user is totally up to the individual. If they wish to buck the IT folks, they can very easily install and run the software without any knowledge and involvement of the IT organization.