1.    #1  
    I'm debating between these 2 phones. Please suggest reasons I should choose one over the other. Thanks in advance for any help!
    I honestly took a look at both too. And I hope this thread remains one full of thoughtful comments and not a Flame War. Being PDA owners, I assume we can all act like adults .

I ordered the Treo because I'm a long time PalmOS user. I enjoy the wealth of applications available. I own the Visor Prism already and the Treo 300 is simply like another version of that PDA. So I'm very used to it.

When looking at the Toshiba the first turn off was price. An extra $300....no way. For $800 I'll get another laptop .
    toshiba's kinda big and heavy, isn't it. It also looks and feels like a pocket PC with an antenna, doesn't it? Don't you get face grease all over the screen when you use it?

Just some thoughts
    Reasons why I chose the Treo:

1. It's small enough to not feel awkward as a phone and it fits into my pocket easily.

2. The qwerty keyboard. As far as I'm concerned, this is the killer app, and the main reason I bought it. A small pda + qwerty keyboard + 3g data speeds = robust data input anywhere (at least once Sprint gets their act together).

3. The price. $800 IMO is too much, $500 is pushing it, but it's justafiable still.

4. The ease of use. PalmOS seems to make sense for me here. It's simple, it's quick, it's no frills, and it just works. I like this because it offers a very clean base to work from. I can make things more advanced by picking and choosing various software packages that I like, without being forced to deal with a relatively clunky OS to begin with.

Reasons why I didn't choose the Toshiba:

1. Too big, not phone-like enough for my tastes.

2. No keyboard. The real killer here. I hate graffiti and it's PocketPC equivalent.

3. For $800, I'd want a CF slot onboard, not just an SD slot. The hardware expansion capabilities are too limited with only SD, and IMO, hardware expansion capabilities (via CF) are the main draw to PocketPC for me.

4. Battery life. From the estimates I saw, battery life is absolutely horrible on the Toshiba. I don't want to have to be charging the damn thing every time I turn around.

5. I already have another "full-featured multimedia oriented" PDA, the Sharp Zaurus, and I like the platform much more than PocketPC.

Having said all this, I'm really not loyal to either the PocketPC platform, or the Palm platform. The Treo is actually my first palm device. Other pda's I own include an Ipaq 3870 (which my dad uses atm), a Sharp Zaurus (my favorite, Linux + qwerty keyboard is awesome IMO), and an old Cassiopeia (one of the first WinCE devices).

So far I love the Treo and don't regret getting it over the Toshiba one bit. Of course, I realize that my concerns here are not universal. I'm sure that some people would feel differently, this is just my take on things
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for all your help. Do you know why Voicestream/T-Mobile's Pocket PC phone is only $499? Are they that bad compared to Sprint? They're 'high-speed' is about 57k which is the average I hear for Sprint's 3-G. Any thoughts?
    Best thing about the Toshiba 2032 / Audiovox Thera as compared to the Treo 300: its 240x320 resolution -- much nicer for web browsing than 160x160. Worst thing about it: standby time is only 8 hours vs. the Treo's 150 hours. Awful.

Originally posted by atama
    Do you know why Voicestream/T-Mobile's Pocket PC phone is only $499?
    Hard to say, considering T-Mobile's PocketPC 2002 Phone Edition unit is generally (maybe even completely?) superior to the 2032/Thera PocketPC 2002 + third party dialer unit.

Here are decent reviews by WSJ's Walter Mossberg of the 2032 / Thera and T-Mobile's PocketPC 2002 Phone Edition.
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    Best thing about the Toshiba 2032 / Audiovox Thera as compared to the Treo 300: its 240x320 resolution -- much nicer for web browsing than 160x160. Worst thing about it: standby time is only 8 hours vs. the Treo's 150 hours. Awful.

Hard to say, considering T-Mobile's PocketPC 2002 Phone Edition unit is generally (maybe even completely?) superior to the 2032/Thera PocketPC 2002 + third party dialer unit.

Here are decent reviews by WSJ's Walter Mossberg of the 2032 / Thera and T-Mobile's PocketPC 2002 Phone Edition.
    My Friend has the Audiovox Thera, which as I understand is similar or identical to the 2032? He is bringing it over this weekend I will do a side by side comparison. Off the top of my head, I echo some of the other negative things people have said about the 2032 and add to this (at least for the Thera):

No way to use it as a "real phone" -- have to either use speakerphone or a headset to use phone feature.

No screen protection -- have to carry it around in a leather case which hides the screen most of the time.

Big and bulky.

Horrific battery life.

No keyboard (most important for me).
    Although I don't have the Toshiba 2032, I do have the
    Audiovox Maestro which is the 2032 without the phone. I use it with an 802.11 card and have done alot of web browsing with it as weill.

Speaking at the PDA level here are my observations:

The screen is viewable in any light situation, but overall the screen is dull and colors are not vibrant. I also note that in some light situations the screen has a pronounced flicker.

Compared to the Treo 300 it is very heavy.

The battery life is low, and in addition the system starts shutting down and warning you at 40% which shortens productive time. I must add that I have a charger cradle at work and the only time I have had problems is when I have neglected to charge on a daily basis.

The 4 way control button is the best I have seen. You don't have to move your thumb left or right, etc. It works perfectly for scrolling in Pocket Internet Explorer.

In general the build quality is solid and the design is excellent. For example the power button is placed so that it is ealily pushed when pulling out the stylus.

As far as the operating system and other features go it has some advantages to consider (please don't flame me I love Palm too). Compatibility with Microsoft Office documents out of the box, voice recorder, MP3 player, E-book reader, and Pocket Internet Explorer works very well.
    Originally posted by intractv
    As far as the operating system and other features go it has some advantages to consider (please don't flame me I love Palm too). Compatibility with Microsoft Office documents out of the box, voice recorder, MP3 player, E-book reader, and Pocket Internet Explorer works very well.
    Ability to multi-task would also be really nice on a PDA/phone combo unit. I guess with the Palm units if you were filling in a web form or composing an email, you'd be unable to switch applications to look up some info you needed to include without aborting the email program or web browser.

Whereas with PocketPC you could switch back and forth without losing anything.
    Two reasons I went with Treo...

1) No keyboard on Toshiba... can not surf and drive (not like you are supposed to) or do anything one handed

2) can't use as a regular phone to your ear.. It only works with earpiece or speakerphone.. at least the T Mobile you can use as a phone.
    Originally posted by doctorc

My Friend has the Audiovox Thera, which as I understand is similar or identical to the 2032? He is bringing it over this weekend I will do a side by side comparison. Off the top of my head, I echo some of the other negative things people have said about the 2032 and add to this (at least for the Thera):

No way to use it as a "real phone" -- have to either use speakerphone or a headset to use phone feature.

No screen protection -- have to carry it around in a leather case which hides the screen most of the time.

Big and bulky.

Horrific battery life.

No keyboard (most important for me).
    Played with my friend's Thera this weekend. IMHO it is not as good as a Treo (at least for what I need).

Pros:
    Big screen and higher res
    Fast OS, fast processor
    Internet Explorer, Word, Excel Etc..
    SD card expansion
    More built in memory

Cons:
    PocketPC OS (too complex for me)
    Very large compared to treo, felt very bulky
    Extremely poor battery life (he was literally charging it after we haed only used it for an hour, had sucked down half the battery life)
    Cannot use it as a "real" phone - requires speakerphone or headset. Bummer
    No screen protection built in and case that comes with it is pretty lame.
    No keyboard.

I encourage you to all go and check them out. It's a nice device if you don't mind bad battery life, bulky unit, and no keyboard. But I think there will be better offerings eventually. While I feel that the Treo is pretty well designed and thought out, the Thera leaves a lot that could be improved upon.