Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone tried using the free 30 day trial of the Xiino browser....for their Treo 300?

I can't seem to log into "My Ebay" - - my pass worded account -- and I'm wondering if it's because it's a javascripting error?

Would Xiino resolve javascripting errors for major sites like Ebay, Bank of America, etc. ?
    I'm not able to log into my Bank's website or my Yahoo portal either. The Bank is 128 bit encryption, which I don't think Blazer supports anyway. Does anyone have any browser suggestions to get past this?
    Blazer supports 128 bit SSL.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I have tried Xiino and tried to access my brokerae account on waterhouse. The web site is both javascript and SSL heavy. I was able to load http://www.tdwaterhouse.com/ with blazer. The blazer could not handle the javascript on log in. The Xiino could not even load the index page on waterhouse. In fact it locks up and I have to do a hard reset.

By the way, if you do a hard reset, you do not lose provisioning. But you do have to make sure your wireless is turned on.
    Sully
    Boston, MA
    Treo 650 and 700
    Former Treo 300 and 600 Owner
    You should use the wireless version of TDWaterHouse.com here: http://wireless4.tdwaterhouse.com/index.asp

Is hould work OK with Blazer.

Originally posted by cfsully
    I have tried Xiino and tried to access my brokerae account on waterhouse. The web site is both javascript and SSL heavy. I was able to load http://www.tdwaterhouse.com/ with blazer. The blazer could not handle the javascript on log in. The Xiino could not even load the index page on waterhouse. In fact it locks up and I have to do a hard reset.

By the way, if you do a hard reset, you do not lose provisioning. But you do have to make sure your wireless is turned on.
    "You should use the wireless version of TDWaterHouse.com here: http://wireless4.tdwaterhouse.com/index.asp"

Thanks yardie, that is a great site!

I still really want a javascript capable browser! Xiino did not cut it for me.
    Sully
    Boston, MA
    Treo 650 and 700
    Former Treo 300 and 600 Owner
    I just tested Xiino with the mobile version of hotmail (http://mobile.msn.com/pocketpc/home.asp)and it works! I was seriously bummed that Blazer couldn't do it.
    Just an update, Blazer is suppose to be able to do SSL. See the Blazer info page here .

So the only differences between Blazer and Xiino are download speeds, graphic quality and JavaScript support. And remember, in Blazer's options you can change the graphics quality setting.
    Well I've found that no other browser (Blazer, Eudora) can use most web forms that are running basic FormMail. Since the FormMail script requires a HTTP_USER_AGENT and Blazer/Eudora have a blank HTTP_USER_AGENT.

Xiino does provide one and so it works fine. I guess that's another reason to keep Xiino . The value shows up as the following:
    HTTP_USER_AGENT: Xiino/1.0.9E [en] (v. 3.5.2H6.0; 153x130; c8)
    I've been using Xiino for a while and really like it. It will access Outlook Web Access IF the OWA server is configured to recognize it as a compatible browser.

Geoffrey
    I have been using Xiino for a month... my trial period just ran out and I'm going to register it (soon... if I change the date back on my 6035 it will still work). I wish I could surf in color like you Treo 300 owners... but my time will come when the 7135 is released!
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    Originally posted by darnell
    Well I've found that no other browser (Blazer, Eudora) can use most web forms that are running basic FormMail. Since the FormMail script requires a HTTP_USER_AGENT and Blazer/Eudora have a blank HTTP_USER_AGENT.

not true! I use the info of the HTTP_USER_AGENT to deliver mobile versions of my site treopolis.de via SSI and it works like a charm. If you don't believe it, go to the browsercheck with your mobile browser and see for yourself. And if the browser isn't recognized yet, please be so kind an submit it :)

Here another source for mobile browser IDs from yours truly :)

glad I could help,
    andreas
    Treopolis (andreas), all I know is that sites using the simple FormMail script from Good Old Matt's script archive get a "Blank Referrer" error message and the form will not submit. So maybe it's an issue with those browsers and FormMail that does not occur with other HTTP_USER_AGENT related functions. I only tried it for my situation. None the less, FormMail is a widely used feature on many sites I visit and Blazer/Eudora will not cut it when I need to use a page interacting with FormMail. I know the sites I encountered issues with have no other outstanding issues because I built them myself.
    Where can I get Xiino? And is it any better than Blazer?
    Originally posted by kelzot
    Where can I get Xiino? And is it any better than Blazer?
    You can get most anything mentioned here at http://handango.com .

I personally feel both Xiino and Blazer have features that make them unique. I can't claim one is better than the other.

Xiino gives you a free 30 day trial. So you can try it and see how it compares.
    Another difference is WML support, which Blazer seems to support and Xiino doesn't. I also found some sites that don't render very well on Xiino but do on Blazer. Finally, Xiino only supports a modest level of javascript. Still, there are a lot of sites that only Xiino can access.

Both crash a lot, but Xiino crashes more, especially if one loses the network connection.

It would be nice to have one browser that did it all.
    Originally posted by darnell
    Treopolis (andreas), all I know is that sites using the simple FormMail script from Good Old Matt's script archive get a "Blank Referrer" error message and the form will not submit.
    I just looked through the script and although I don't know Perl I guess it might be a missconfigured script's fault rather than the browser's. As I understood it the referer variable is used to define sites that are allowed to access the script. Maybe Blazer and Eudora don't deliver this info correctly.

Do you know enough Perl to comment on that? Do you think it might be worth to ask the developer to fix the problem? Could you point me to a site that uses this script?

I agree with you that it's not acceptable that blazer can't handle those scipts. It's good to know that problems exsist with popular web software because others might be able to design sites in a way that is Treo/Blazer friendly if they know about it.

andreas
    Originally posted by treopolis

Do you know enough Perl to comment on that?
    Yes I do. That script is pretty basic and been around for many, many years. I would have to say I think it's the browser.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Well as far as I know .. Xiino works the best on my 300.

for those who care: http://www.ilinx.co.jp/en/

-bob
    Here are my observations of Xiino-

It goes places Blazer won't. This is *the* reason to have it. I am able to access Hotmail - although slowly. The encryption and Javascript really take a toll on speed.

Images are displayed much smaller than in Blazer and are more difficult to see. Some might argue that smaller is better however on images that also serve as navigation links it can be tough.

I felt like Xiino was slower than Blazer... I was wrong. In a head to head comparixon Xiino loaded an uncached web page 50% faster than Blazer. My observation was warped because I used Xiino for more complicated sites with Javascript - (ex: Hotmail example above) which do take a while to load in some cases.

The 'bookmarks' page is fairly slow to draw, and it is not as well organized as Blazer. To open a url outside of a bookmark takes two clicks vs one for Blazer.

Xiino does have refresh and connect/disconect icons in to taskbar which is better than Blazer.

I like the way Xinno handles pages with frames. You navigate via a graphic representation of the page located in the upper right of the window. Blazer simply list the available frames as text and in some cases you just have to guess which one is the frame you need.

In general I have fallen into the following habit. If it is a simple page I use Blazer because I like working with the way it displays images, and the way it handles bookmarks. I go to Xiino for pages that Blazer won't handle and those with frames.

I'm sure I haven't explored every feature of Xiino, but overall I am pleased with it and have purchased a license.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast