Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay. The 300 is out. Could anybody tell me...

BUY THE 300 NOW!!

Or.....

Wait for the 7135.

Please provide some guidance for a poor lost technoweenie.

I have a Visor Platnium right now. I understand and have seen the Treo, but I need somebody to push me toward one or the other.

Plus, does anybody have any idea how the monthly rates on the 7135 are going to compare? They have made no mention or plans, cost, etc.

Thanks.

Link to 7135:

Link to Treo:
    The plans will be the same as the 300. Bottom line is that the 300 feels more like a Blackberry, whereas the Kyocera feels more like a cellphone. Your call on which you prefer.
    Four reasons to go with the Kyocera 7135.

1. If you travel a lot the Tri-mode will keep you in touch more often. This wasn't a big deal with me. The only time I travel is on vacation.

2. Memory card support. Again this was not a big deal for me.

3. Graffiti, before I got my Treo everyone I had heard from seemed to prefer the keyboard. But I am finding it very annoying that I have to constantly switch back and forth between the keyboard and the stylus. When I compared the two I thought that the Treo would suit my needs better. With the location of the screen on the 7135 I thought that it would be harder to use as a PDA which is what I primarily use mine for.

4. By the time it comes out Sprint might have itís act together.
    I stuck one of these in my pocket at PCEXPO, and I gotta say, its pretty thick and chunky. If you need to put your cellphone in a tight jeans pocket, go for the treo.

and you can get virtual graffiti working via a 3rd party app on teh Treo if you really want it so bad.
    I played with the 7135 (friend had a demo). The 7135 had a very bright, sharp screen. Trimode is nice.

But

It is definetly heavier and thicker than the treo. It makes your shirt pocket sag, the treo in this regard is very nice.

Its a clamshell, so you have to constantly open it when checking your appointments, etc.

I found the numeric buttons too flush, making them hard to press.

I was reluctant about losing graffitti, but the keyboard is much better. At my best, I was 15wpm on graffitti, I am easily 22 wpm on the treo. Switching between stylus and keyboard is bit of a pain, but graffitti is more so. I don't miss graffitti at all

I disagree that the 7135 feels more like a phone. Phones are small and light (smaller and lighter than the treo in fact). The kyo felt like a folded up pda.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    I also saw the 7135 at Tech Expo in NYC. While I agree the form factor is larger than the average cellphone, it is still a better option.

Pro:

screen is significantly brighter
    SD slot allows for backup and restore fo data on the fly
    clamshell design protects the screen

Con:

keyboard on treo is much easier to sue than the phone pad for data entry

Bottom line: If you have to have it right now, treo is your only option. If you can wait, AND (and this is a huge caveat) Kycera delivers what they promised (ie. Q3 availability), I would wait, particularly, as sated by almost the entire board, ste Sprint network is nowhere near yet ready for prime time
    starlord II wrote:
    Graffiti, before I got my Treo everyone I had heard from seemed to prefer the keyboard. But I am finding it very annoying that I have to constantly switch back and forth between the keyboard and the stylus.

I recommend getting out of the habit of using the stylus. Actually, the fact that I hate pulling out the stylus is one of my main reasons for wanting a keyboard. I never use the stylus on the Treo -- ever.

You can select items on the screen with your fingernail or thumbnail, which is what I always used to do on my earlier Palms. I even made alphabetical selections on the silkscreen of the Palm III and Visor Prism by drawing the first letter or two with my thumbnail. This may sound awkward when reading it, but in practice it's much faster and more fluid than stopping to pull out the stylus and put it back.

The only reason for the stylus is for writing complete words and sentences in Graffiti. The keyboard makes that reason obsolete. I can never go back to Graffiti, despite using it for nearly five years and having a 30+ WPM on it.

You can also move between adjacent links with the jog dial and "click" the highlighted link by pushing in the dial.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the input.

This is what I did:

Ordered a 300 w/o a service contract.

I'll try it and if I don't like it I'll sell it on eBay when the 7135 comes out.
    I finally tried Jot and Newpen. Jot just didnít do it for me. Maybe if I worked with it more it might have worked better. But Newpen seems to be just what I need. I did finally figure out how to work multiple pull down menus using the buttons. It would probably help if I went by the old adage ďIf all else fails fails read the instructions!Ē But where is the fun in that. But what was really getting me frustrated was entering data into Quicksheet, a great product by the way. Well worth the $30 I paid for it. I would select a cell, press the blue button twice, enter the data, then repeat it all again. Then doing a datestamp required seven keystrokes. I was afraid that use something like Jot would change the selected cell. But Newpen things are working just fine.

As finger nails and such. I have been doing that ever since my Avigo. But it never worked very well. I have thought about getting a finger stylus for years but have never gotten around to it. What I have been doing since I got my Treo is to hold my stylus in my hand as I punch the buttons. It just takes a second to switch position, it was just annoying.
    Will the new Kyocera have push email?
    Originally posted by paz5559
    If you can wait, AND (and this is a huge caveat) Kycera delivers what they promised (ie. Q3 availability)
    Actually, this PalmInfocenter "first impressions" article does not say Kyocera is promising Q3 availability:

The phone will be available in Q4. Goetter said "November, maybe earlier." For Q4, it doesn't get earlier than October.
    Another thing that article mentioned that no one in this thread has is that the battery on the 7135 is user-replaceable. This would be a big win for me. You could buy an extra battery, charge it up, and have it with you if you expect to be away from a charger for awhile (say, on an airplane).

Also, though LiIon doesn't suffer from memory effect like NiCad, in most cases the Treo 300 itself will probably outlive the useful life of the battery, so at some point you'll have to get it serviced and do without the unit for awhile just to get the battery replaced.
    The keyboard makes that reason obsolete. I can never go back to Graffiti, despite using it for nearly five years and having a 30+ WPM on it.
    Holy stylus!

30WPM at graffiti? You are a stud.

And you prefer the keyboard?

Now I don't feel like a wimp.
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    Actually, this PalmInfocenter "first impressions" article does not say Kyocera is promising Q3 availability:

Another thing that article mentioned that no one in this thread has is that the battery on the 7135 is user-replaceable. This would be a big win for me. You could buy an extra battery, charge it up, and have it with you if you expect to be away from a charger for awhile (say, on an airplane).

Also, though LiIon doesn't suffer from memory effect like NiCad, in most cases the Treo 300 itself will probably outlive the useful life of the battery, so at some point you'll have to get it serviced and do without the unit for awhile just to get the battery replaced.
    But you can't have the phone turned while on the aircraft, and above all you cannot USE the phone while on the aircraft. At 40,000 feet you would have line of site with dozens of cell towers, not to mention that it is against FAA, as well as Airline regulations.

Gary
    Originally posted by Gary G. Little

But you can't have the phone turned while on the aircraft, and above all you cannot USE the phone while on the aircraft. At 40,000 feet you would have line of site with dozens of cell towers, not to mention that it is against FAA, as well as Airline regulations.

Gary
    He probably wants only the PDA part to be on while on an airplane. You can do that with Treo's and I can't imagine that you can't do that with the Kyocera
    Originally posted by silverado

He probably wants only the PDA part to be on while on an airplane. You can do that with Treo's and I can't imagine that you can't do that with the Kyocera
    I don't think so. In my last trip to the mainland, as soon as an ignorant male Flight Attendant saw the antenna on my treo270, he angrily "ordered" me to turn it off. Wouldn't even look at my screen so I can show him that I was only using the PDA part. When I tried to argue that the phone was turned off, this moron threatened to call the Captain. Ironically, another passenger across from me was playing solitaire on his Palm pilot!
    Ed
    Originally posted by edkalama

I don't think so. In my last trip to the mainland, as soon as an ignorant male Flight Attendant saw the antenna on my treo270, he angrily "ordered" me to turn it off. Wouldn't even look at my screen so I can show him that I was only using the PDA part. When I tried to argue that the phone was turned off, this moron threatened to call the Captain. Ironically, another passenger across from me was playing solitaire on his Palm pilot!
    This doesn't change the fact that Dan Harkless's intention probably is to use only the PDA part on the plane. He didn't say anything to indicate that he wanted to use it as a phone on a plane.

What happened on your filght is unfortunate. I've traveled a few times with my Treo 180 without such problems. However, it might be a good idea to unscrew the antenna off of the device before one even gets on the plane. Also, keeping it open with stylus in hand will probably help people in understanding that it is a PDA.
    People,
    I was at the Market Street Sprint store yesterday and had a chance to look at both the Treo and 7135 side by side. Sprint had a tent set up outside the store and a few phone manufacturer reps present including Sanyo, Kyocera, and handspring. I've got to tell you after playing with both phones for the better part of 30 minutes, the 7135 is better period. While I like the weight of the Treo (5.5 oz.?), here is what I don't like:
    Treo cons
    -no SD card expansion slot
    -Digital service only (no analog)
    -duller screen
    -built in battery (if your battery has problems your scre**d)
    -flimsy earpiece
    -quality concerns, as many on this board can testify to!
    -most importantly, it feels cheap

Using the 7135 vs the Treo, was like test driving a Saturn (Treo) vs. a Toyota (7135), sorry GM! The 7135 just felt more substantial, not because it weighed more (6.5 oz) but because it felt like it was made with better components. The "brushed aluminum", for lack of a better description, on the outside and around the color LCD added a nice classy touch, while protecting the display and reinforcing the flip. I am sure this metal alone accounts for the difference in weight between the two phones. The display was crisp, and a bit easier to see in the bright sun. While the 7135 is thicker than the Treo (primarily because of the reinforced flip which the Treo doesn't have), it is narrower, amintaining a more streamlined phone feel. The Kycera rep said it was going to come with a holster, so pocketability was not a big concern, although I could easily see it fitting fine in a pocket. The other 7135 advantages:
    7135 pros
    -Dual band (digital and anaolg service)
    -built in MP3 player
    -SD slot, to put all of your MP3 files or images on
    -external caller id
    -better battery life, 3.5 hours, and its replaceable
    -Kyocera quality reputation
    -normal phone keypad
    -dedicated grafiti area, I don't like the Qwert keyboard!
    -better integration of phone and pda functionality

All in all, I don't think there is another phone/pda out there that will give you as much bang for your buck as the 7135. Nice job Kyocera!
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    I agree with everything you have said so far. One problem -- IT IS NOT OUT! With PROMISED availability in Q4, by then there will be some still better phone on the horizon. I have not committed to the treo yet, but since it was promised for June, and emerged in August, who knows when the Kyo will actually be available!
    LOL! Too funny, the attenna is a dead giveaway
    Originally posted by cody
    The other 7135 advantages:
    7135 pros
    -Dual band (digital and anaolg service)
    -built in MP3 player
    -SD slot, to put all of your MP3 files or images on
    -external caller id
    -better battery life, 3.5 hours, and its replaceable
    -Kyocera quality reputation
    -normal phone keypad
    -dedicated grafiti area, I don't like the Qwert keyboard!
    -better integration of phone and pda functionality

All in all, I don't think there is another phone/pda out there that will give you as much bang for your buck as the 7135. Nice job Kyocera!
    Some of these are not really advantages over the Treo:
    - External caller ID--Treo has it
    - normal phone keypad--disatvantage in my book
    - dedicated grafiti area--don't care, love QWERTY keyboard
    - better integration--can't comment since I haven't seen it.

I think just based on looking at pictures of the 7135 that using the graffiti area the way it's positioned will be quite awkward (and I'm a very proficient graffiti user). I can't imagine sitting with my stylus scratching at the top end of the lower part of the clam shell and doing so comfortably for any length of time. It will also look pretty goofy, IMHO.

FWIW, I think the Treo is an awesome device with very thoughtful integration. Of course it has rough edges, but what new product doesn't? I was one of the originals owners of the pilot when it came out, and the Treo is as exciting as the pilot was, just like Jeff Hawkings says.

YMMV.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast