Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by JamesCzar
    Work_Permit,

I'm really a graffiti pro, and I just need my graffiti pad back . How do you get around the sound of the keys , and the backlighting turning off ? If you know the keyboard good enough to use it in the dark, I can only assume you were a blackberry user or just have that touch.
    I am a graffiti pro as well, but I've had a Treo 180 since it came out and I'm VERY happy with it (though I miss color and lit keyboard). As for the noise of typing in meetings, I suggest you try NewPen. If you are writing in meetings, you're presumably doing most of the writing in one application (taking notes). NewPen works very well in apps like notepad (or any attached note, e.g., to a calendar item).

The keyboard is GREAT for many uses and I've gotten my speed using the keyboard to the same as my graffiti speed in no time. I definitely prefer the keyboard unless I'm taking notes like you said, and for that I use newpen. You can't get one-handed operation, essential for a phone IMO, if you had to use graffiti.

The Treo is an awesome combination of form and function. Perfect? No. But what is?
    I if I could reprogram the alternates to the main 4 buttons (accessed with the function key) I'd have been happier.
    Treobutton?

But even the Sprint upper level tech could not tell me how to do it and said that Handspring told them that changing those buttons could cause problems (might be a BS response , but with all the other probs, I wasn't willing to chance it).
    Wow, you actually expected sprint CS to know how to do that? I applaud your faith in your fellow man's competence. I usually assume no one knows what they're doing. Occasionally, I'm pleasantly surprised. But only occasionally.

How do you get around the sound of the keys,
    I live with a bunch of blackberry hounds. The sound of the keys just makes me fit it. Even when I'm playing atom smasher.

and the backlighting turning off ?
    If you mean turning off after 15 seconds of non-use, I do wish it would turn back on with a keystroke.

If you know the keyboard good enough to use it in the dark, I can only assume you were a blackberry user or just have that touch.
    In the dark I turn the keyboard backlight on with two hits on the power button.

By the way, WP, the don't use the speakerphone while holding the Treo... or you'll really look like Capt. Kirk.
    Hehe. At least it looks like a communicator, not a tricorder
    Originally posted by edkalama

I don't think so. In my last trip to the mainland, as soon as an ignorant male Flight Attendant saw the antenna on my treo270, he angrily "ordered" me to turn it off. Wouldn't even look at my screen so I can show him that I was only using the PDA part. When I tried to argue that the phone was turned off, this moron threatened to call the Captain. Ironically, another passenger across from me was playing solitaire on his Palm pilot!
    Next time, unscrew the antenna.
    _lr_ at yahoo.com
    The antenna is actually stuck in place. I hear you can reduce the bars by force removing it. Presumably it was stuck for a reason.

I've never had hassle on aircraft using my Treo. Just show the host/ess the Wireless mode off indicator.
    drw,

You pretty much summed it up. I like the Treo 300 a lot, but I'm hugely disappointed they didn't include storage. A storage slot plus a keyboard would have been killer.

I'm going to be looking hard at the Kyocera 7135. They really topped that one off feature-wise. I've seen three preview-reviews and all three liked it a lot. It just seems to edge the Treo in just about every catagory. Separately, each feature isn't overwhelming compared against the Treo. But collectively, the 7135 feature set adds up.

Plus, they said the 7135 construction was solid (the hinge was metal). And that SDIO slot seems sweet. I heard some company is coming out with an SD WiFi card, which means you could hook up the 7135 to your wireless LAN.

Of course, if they came out with a Treo "330" with an SD slot, I'd probably be back
    Originally posted by DaleReeck
    I'm going to be looking hard at the Kyocera 7135. They really topped that one off feature-wise. I've seen three preview-reviews and all three liked it a lot. It just seems to edge the Treo in just about every catagory. Separately, each feature isn't overwhelming compared against the Treo. But collectively, the 7135 feature set adds up.
    Amen! The 7135 is going to be awesome!
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    If it had a thumbboard, it would be perfect for me. As is, I probably wouldn't trade, but it does sound terrific.
    I'll believe it when I see it... I can all but guarantee it's going to suk based on previous experience with Kyoceras.

Antenna meant to be that way? No. There's supposed to be an antenna replacement out next month that lights up... only has to be screwed in place of current antenna.

Programming the alternate buttons? Go to PalmPilotGear.com and you'll find a few free choices that will let you do that.
    If you're interested in the Kyocera 7135, check out the forthcoming Samsung Blue Chip:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_Story.asp?ID=3706

Same form factor as the Kyocera, but about .30" thinner, which should get rid of that 'bulky' factor that some of the Kyocera witnesses mentioned. I can't speak to the relative feature complement.

Kyocera says the 7135 will be out around 12/02, and Samsung won't give a date for the Bluechip, so I'm probably going to proceed with my purchas of the Treo if I can find a Really Good Deal.

-lr
    _lr_ at yahoo.com
    Actually, I've heard November, maybe October for the 7135. That was in one of the reviews. Of course, with hardware always being delayed these days, December wouldn't shock me.

That Samsung looks interesting, but we need more info. For instance, an IO slot? That's hugely important for me. Plus, they better get a better screen on that one. The 8 bit screen on the I300 wasn't that hot thought the phone was good. And I heard their new 330 also only has an 8 bit screen. They have got to be kidding. Put at least a 12 bit screen in there guys. I wonder what that new one will have.

As far as Kyocera goes, I had their 6035 Palm phone and it was pretty solid. But then so was the Samsung I300. And the Treo 300. It seems that the palmphones all seem to be decent devices.
    Last edited by DaleReeck; 09/12/2002 at 08:04 AM.
    Well, my December date was from a message from their customer care folks about a day or so. But if December is what they're *admitting* who knows what the *real* date will be.

I've been on the other side of that exchage, and very often the date quoted is a combination of engineering's optimism and management's dreams.

Take the Treo 270 and GPRS. At my last job, I was using the same OEM GSM radio that's used in the 270. The manufacturer of that radio committed to GPRS firmware by 7/01, and then 9/01, and then 'the end of the year, for sure'. And here we are in 9/02, with only a 'pre-release' avalilable for *some* of the countries.

I was a very late adopted of Palm; probably 2 years after the first 'Palm Pilot' showed up on the market. (I use the same stragety for Microsoft OSs<g>.) But I'm probably going to be an early adopter of the Treo 300... and I'll have to accept the 'arrows in the back' that all pioneers receive.

-l
    _lr_ at yahoo.com
    Actually, I believe it will be out by December. You have the Christmas shopping season of course. But also, the reviews I saw said they really didn't see antything wrong with the prototypes they had. So they probably aren't that far away from production. It depends how long localization for the various networks (Sprint, Verizon etc) will take.

In the case of GPRS, I don't really know if Handspring considered this a frontburner project. So delays are common. But for Kyocera, I have to believe that the 7135 wil be their flagship phone. It will no doubt be put on a fast track.
    Found this thread doing a search and was amazed at how little things have changed as far as speculation on upcoming devices, comments about features and availability dates and disagreements about which is the better device.

You could changes just a few things and you would have a corbon copy of the ongoing debate about the iPhone and the new Linux Treo....BTW did anyone here ever own a Kyocera 7135? how was it compared to speculation was concerned.

The most Ironic statement to me was the prediction that the 7135 would be a "Treo Killer". Exactly what some here refer to the iPhone as....

I guess somethings never change. Even 5 years ago Treo was the gold standard for Smartphones...Here's hoping that the Foleo doesn't really kill Palm for good...

Cheers,
    Dragonman
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    I loved and hated the 7135. It was great at being a flip phone, and making calls. Battery was horrible and 3rd party apps killed it. But hey I got a 650 out of it. I wish the treo could be like the pantech flip....kind of a smaller kyocera, but a treo flip would be great. Personally, I think the 650 is the only treo to come close to living up to the hype.
    I also had a 7135 and loved it. I experienced good battery life. My ONLY complaints were: flip phone and just could not be seen in direct sun light. I hated the flip due to the possibility of breaking it.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman View Post
    Found this thread doing a search and was amazed at how little things have changed as far as speculation on upcoming devices, comments about features and availability dates and disagreements about which is the better device.

You could changes just a few things and you would have a corbon copy of the ongoing debate about the iPhone and the new Linux Treo....BTW did anyone here ever own a Kyocera 7135? how was it compared to speculation was concerned.

The most Ironic statement to me was the prediction that the 7135 would be a "Treo Killer". Exactly what some here refer to the iPhone as....

I guess somethings never change. Even 5 years ago Treo was the gold standard for Smartphones...Here's hoping that the Foleo doesn't really kill Palm for good...

Cheers,
    Dragonman

I had a 7135 (6 to be precise) and on the one hand when it worked it was awesome. I loved it. I loved the clam shell, I loved the holster it came with, I loved the display on the top of it wher I could spin the unit in the belt holster to see whos calling without opening it up or having to pull it out lilke I do with the Treo.

It obviously had a downside in the fact that it didnt have BlueTooth. But the headset jack was where it was supposed to be and it NEVER broke. I wave VERY hard on it and it kept on working like it was supposed to.

The very very very dark secret the 7135 had was that the phone would go into this SRCP screen which stood for "Service Required Contact Provider" That meant that the weld between your phone radio and the motherboard came loose and you were pretty much FUBAR.

The screen wasnt as high res as the what Ive found on the Treo's. I miss the 3rd party app for MP3s. I liked it better than PTunes but the dev never made a port for Treo's.

If you want more info you can post questions and Ill try to answer them.

Hope this helped.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I also had a 7135 and loved it. I experienced good battery life. My ONLY complaints were: flip phone and just could not be seen in direct sun light. I hated the flip due to the possibility of breaking it.

Ben

I on the other hand had a TON of confidence in that flip it IMHO was built like a tank! This of course was in contrast to the old Treo's flips. I think the engineers who designed it realized that because the flip had the screen on one side and the keyboard on the other it HAD to be tough.

I can speak from experience because I used the hell out of this phone when I was trying to get into competitive bodybuilding shape. I used some POS workout tracking software and after every excersize I would have to flip open the unit to add what I just did to my current routine. I probably flipped open that phone no less than 100x's a day and it never failed for 2 years.
    There is no spoon.
    Always happy to reminisce about the 7135... (actually my sister still has mine and last I heard it was going strong). The great thing I remember about that phone was that it was a HUGE upgrade from the Kyocera 6135 -- an improvement in almost every way (color screen, flip phone form factor that protected the ENTIRE screen, not just the griffiti part like the 6135). I remember comparing the 7135 to the 1st generation Treos when they came out, but I remember thinking that the keyboard just made the unit too big to use as a phone. Also, the treos seemed a little flimsy, whereas the 7135 was rock solid, especially when closed.

I think we may see a movement back towards clamshell flip phones. I love the iphone and how it looks, but the more pretty the screen, the more heartbreaking it's going to be when it eventually gets scratched...
    I had a few kyoceras, but the silver frame around the screen always seemed to pop off. Holding that phone to my ear made me remember the times when the grey motorola flips were all the rave.
    The biggest thing I miss besides the flip and the caller ID screen is the phone app. Its best feature is when you hung up you had the option to call that contacts different numbers. It would look up the contact and allow you to surf to a different number for that contact. It was sweet.
    There is no spoon.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast