1.    #1  
    I've purchased 3 180g's for evaluation. Myself and the two other users set aside our Palm7s & Startacs for the device.

While we waite for GPRS, we email SMS messages to the Treo's. On other phone's when a message exceeds 160 characters the message is automatically broken into multiple parts. Our Treo's don't do this. Is this a function of the 180g or our provider VoiceStream?

Thanks,

-- joe
    So you're sending a long SMS message (over 160 characters) to an email address -- correct?

When you try to send, what happens? An error message on the Treo? Recipient's email doesn't get anything beyond the initial 160 characters? Message never gets received by the email client?
    It depends upon the carrier how they choose to deal with multi-part sms sent from handsets.

On Cingular, I can send and receive multipart SMS messages and SMS emails.
    I'm also using a 180g with VoiceStream (in Philadelphia, PA).

Page 133 of the Treo manual states that "If a message exceeds 160 characters, SMS Messaging automatically divides the text into multiple messages when it sends the message."

However, in my 2 months experience with VS, messages that exceed 160 characters are just truncated and the rest of the message is simply lost. This was dissapointing, but I have more important things to worry about in life than raising a stink with Handspring. Over the span of sending/receiving approx. 150 SMS messages my fiancee and I, have simply learned to keep our messages short.

Hope this helps.
    Best,

Mead
    Originally posted by Mead Lawson
    I'm also using a 180g with VoiceStream (in Philadelphia, PA).

Page 133 of the Treo manual states that "If a message exceeds 160 characters, SMS Messaging automatically divides the text into multiple messages when it sends the message."

However, in my 2 months experience with VS, messages that exceed 160 characters are just truncated and the rest of the message is simply lost.
    Actually, Handspring isn't lying. I just tried sending a 200 character SMS and it got to split into two and sent both of them. They were both recieved on the other end. You cannot split SMSs bound for e-mail, but when sending to a number, it works as stated in the manual.
    Okay, I'll believe it because you say it. My experience to date has been between my 180g and my fiancee's PC e-mail client. I have yet to SMS to another phone. Perhaps I'll give it a try soon.

Thanks.
    Best,

Mead