Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just post any questions you may have about 3g here. I'll try to give you a quick response.
    Ok.

1st Question:

Is there a promotional unlimited data plan? I keep hearing that such a thing exists and the pricing is normally $99 with $50 off for the first three months, and for pda's and laptops only.

I've called up a bunch of different reps at *2, a few different stores, and even talked to one of the Major Market guys, and nobody seems to have heard of this. However, I've seen it mentioned in a press release, and on a few sites (I think it's on a poll on the main page here?), and in a few other forums (such as here: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...threadid=41564).

So.. what's the deal. Does this thing exist? Is it a business only deal? Is it regional? Is it just not out yet?

If this is a real plan, who would a person need to talk to to get it?

Maybe you can provide an answer..
    Bob,

Can you please address the very frequently asked question / major issue on this board:

Why is network throughput so slow for everyone currently using 3g?

We are all getting about 1k byte per second. This is as slow, and sometimes even slower than 2g (and I am not talking about 2g wap, I'm talking about 2g on an i300 accessing any internet site with full graphics etc).

According to SPCS our throughput should be 5 to 7 times faster than this.

You have stated that location and signal strength matter. I do not accept this explanation as we are all in very different locations across the country and all have reported max signal strength in our tests.

I have personally tested throughput in 3 different cities with full signal strength at several times during the day or night (so I also do not buy into the "if a lot of people are on your bandwidth will be bad" excuse).

What is the real deal? Or can you disclose the information? I personally believe that 3g is not actually up to par yet, and that SPCS is selling 3g in a less than honest way.

Why are NONE of us getting 50 to 70 kbps, for that matter, anywhere NEAR that speed?

Thanks
    I hear that I should have my username in the phone app. I have 3g data access, but no name. Should I be concerned. Am I missing out on some capability(except of course being reminded of who I am)
    I know that this thread was started by someone else, but I can help answer some of these questions:

First, as a PCS employee working specifically with 3G, I am not aware of a consumer unlimited plan at this point. The plans are very specific regarding how many megs come or can be added. However, unless it is reserved for extremely high-usage customers and not proactively marketed, unlimited data is not an option at this point. Additionally, any unlimited data plan that would exist would be for much more than $99.

For the second poster: Definitely wait to activate. Not only can you be certain to avoid the upgrades this weekend, but the reps at many call centers have not yet been trained on 3G (I know, it sounds bad, but remember this was kept VERY secret - from everyone but those working on the 3G project itself). Thus, if you were to call perhaps on Tuesday or Wednesday, you would be much safer with your activation.

The data is truly free for three months, with a 2 year agreement. The 3G plans are marketed as being packaged with a 2 year agreement, although you can go with a 0 year term...but then you're going to pay extra anyway, and if this is something you've already invested $500 in for the Treo and you are truly interested in 3G, then you won't have a problem with staying or paying the $150 to exit the agreement early. Also, if you ask for it when you set up with a 2 year term, you can get "Technology Assurance," which basically means after the 2 years are over, Sprint sends you a check for $100.

3500 anytime minutes is a lot. If you're already on a plan that provides you with that amount, then you should have no difficulty getting it now. The prices are relatively the same for voice phone plans. The only major difference is the data bundles that can be added on.

Definitely leave your old phone off when you activate. In fact, I usually tell people to leave the phone off for 24 full hours, even if during that time the new phone is completely active. It's a good precaution to take, and it does not harm you to do so, considering the ability to make phone calls should be provisioned for your new phone within minutes. It's the data part that's tricky.

Doctorc: 3G is fully active, and when it launched, we were getting speeds of 100kbs. That will decrease a bit as more people begin to use it, with the notion of shared bandwidth, but after this first wave is established, additional improvements will strengthen it again. And yes, you should buy the "lot of people on the bandwidth" notion. There is no reason why that is different from, for example, cable modem speeds in a shared environment. If you are having problems with speed, I would highly suggest contacting the technical support representatives for manually reprogramming the phone. I personally spoke with an individual who was able to access the web, but quite slowly, so we reprogrammed the data access together and he instantly saw an improvement. Don't assume that no one is getting those speeds. I use my Treo daily, and I have no problems. If your device is interacting with the network correctly, yoiu should too.

I hope this answers some questions. Again, for anyone with technical support questions or preparing to activate, I would strongly suggest to wait until next week, if you can. You run a MUCH better chance of getting someone on the phone that has been more throroughly trained on this stuff than this moment!

Enjoy!
    First, as a PCS employee working specifically with 3G, I am not aware of a consumer unlimited plan at this point. The plans are very specific regarding how many megs come or can be added. However, unless it is reserved for extremely high-usage customers and not proactively marketed, unlimited data is not an option at this point.
    Just to be clear. I've been told I have unlimited data access for three months , after which I get 2000 anytime/ 2MB for $89. I've also been told of 8MB for $99, 20 MB for $119, 40MB for $139....
    Originally posted by dionymnia
    I know that this thread was started by someone else, but I can help answer some of these questions:

First, as a PCS employee working specifically with 3G, I am not aware of a consumer unlimited plan at this point. The plans are very specific regarding how many megs come or can be added. However, unless it is reserved for extremely high-usage customers and not proactively marketed, unlimited data is not an option at this point. Additionally, any unlimited data plan that would exist would be for much more than $99.

Enjoy!
    Echo previous posters, the data is supposed to be unlimited for 3 months

For the second poster: Definitely wait to activate. Not only can you be certain to avoid the upgrades this weekend, but the reps at many call centers have not yet been trained on 3G (I know, it sounds bad, but remember this was kept VERY secret - from everyone but those working on the 3G project itself). Thus, if you were to call perhaps on Tuesday or Wednesday, you would be much safer with your activation.

Enjoy!
    For those of us who bought our phones at the product launch, is there something we need to know about "avoiding the upgrades" ?

Doctorc: 3G is fully active, and when it launched, we were getting speeds of 100kbs. That will decrease a bit as more people begin to use it, with the notion of shared bandwidth, but after this first wave is established, additional improvements will strengthen it again. And yes, you should buy the "lot of people on the bandwidth" notion. There is no reason why that is different from, for example, cable modem speeds in a shared environment. If you are having problems with speed, I would highly suggest contacting the technical support representatives for manually reprogramming the phone. I personally spoke with an individual who was able to access the web, but quite slowly, so we reprogrammed the data access together and he instantly saw an improvement. Don't assume that no one is getting those speeds. I use my Treo daily, and I have no problems. If your device is interacting with the network correctly, yoiu should too.

Enjoy!
    I guess this one concerns me the most. Many of us posters were here for product launch. I bought my phone but could not activate until Sunday. Activation want well and I had web browsing immediately. Unless you had a private launch for Sprint employess only, I believe you are the only one to report 100kbs speeds, and if you would share with us what your signal strength was, what day it was, etc maybe this would be a bit more believable. Many people have posted and been manually provisioned, and since I know my way around Palm OS network settings, it should be an easy job when I call in.

BTW, is the data traveling over your ATM network ?
    This may sound really stupid but I want to make sure I am reading my Treo correctly.

When you are downloading a page, the number at the bottom represents what? The speed of download or how much total data has been downloaded for that page?
    Originally posted by PCMusician

I guess this one concerns me the most. Many of us posters were here for product launch. I bought my phone but could not activate until Sunday. Activation want well and I had web browsing immediately. Unless you had a private launch for Sprint employess only, I believe you are the only one to report 100kbs speeds, and if you would share with us what your signal strength was, what day it was, etc maybe this would be a bit more believable. Many people have posted and been manually provisioned, and since I know my way around Palm OS network settings, it should be an easy job when I call in.

BTW, is the data traveling over your ATM network ?
    You mentioned that "when 3g was launched many of us were getting 100kbps" -- when was 3g officially Launched?

I had 3g data access as early as Thursday last week. This was at least 3 days before 3g went "mainstream" on Sunday. At no time during this early period (when presumably fewere people were on the 3g network) did I *EVER* exceed 1 kbyte per second.

I've called tier 2 3g tech support. They did not lead me to believe that I need to reprogram the phone.

Are you suggesting that I should do this? I'm willing to try it if it will improve my data speed, but I do not believe you.

NOBODY -- nobody at all -- on this forum has posted that they are receving anywhere near the appropriate 3g speeds. Most users report less than 1kbyte per second.

Now, either I am the only one with this problem, or you are not telling the whole story.

When you say "I use my Treo 300 every day and have no problem" is that statement intentionally vague?

I have no problem using my Treo 300 either -- except that it is painfully slow.

What kind of throughput do you personally get when you are "using your treo 300 with no problem"

Not trying to be abusive here, but I would appreciate some clear answers.

I personally believe that the bottom line is 3g speed is not 3g speed at all -- at the moment there is obviously some HUGE problem with the 3g network that Sprint is trying very hard not to discuss.

What is the real story, please?
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Sprint has NEVER promised unlimited data for the first three months ... what they promised was that data would be free for the first three months. Free unlimited data is wishfull thinking.

I went to several Sprint stores in the New York metropolitan area. What is free is the differential cost of data over voice only plans for the three month period:

2MB -> $10 service credit
    8MB -> $20 service credit
    20MB -> $40 service credit

The data only plans are available at the website listed below. Please note, there are no unlimited plans

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/se...CTED_PLAN_INFO<>PlanFilterSelection=dataOnly|basic3GFreeClear|advanced3GFreeClear|3G&SelectedFilter=3
  13.    #13  
    O.K. guys calm down.

The above guy was acurate about what he discussed. If some of us seem cryptic, it's because their are questions you guys ask that are in that "gray" area we can't comment about.

Here are the Facts:

1. No unlimited for first 3 months. PERIOD!

2. When it comes to signal speed, most people will get the 50-70 kps. Their are so many factors that go into wireless data connections it's insane. Are you roaming?(signal fluctuation) Do you have signal strength? (Data streaming) How powerful is you device? (processing) Is the network full? (we have had alot of activations the past 4 days. this taxes the network)

3.It would probrally be best to hold off this weekend to call. You may not get what you need. try next week. My suggestion to you is to try very early or very late.

4. The 3g technology is broken up into "waves". Wave 1(which we are in now) promises 50-100 kps. wave 2 (in a few years) promises somewhere around 1-2mb bps. Wave 3 (probrally around 2k5) 4-6mb bps. The wave three i have personal doubts about, but hey. 5 years ago they said 3g was impossible

5. Plan questions are hard for me to answer. Since I'm at home, plus I'm not sure if that isn't in the old "gray" area.

BTW: Most of the techs are aware of this site and some have commented to me about it. So we are watching.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Bobacus
    If some of us seem cryptic, it's because their are questions you guys ask that are in that "gray" area we can't comment about.
    OK, if you can't answer questions in the "gray zone", can you tell us what the subjects to avoid are, so we don't waste our time or yours?
  15.    #15  
    -Inner workings of sprint (this is why I'm not sure about discussing plans)

- Technology specifically used by sprint(I'll talk 3g with you, but I can't talk about how SPRINT uses 3g)

-Future tech (can't comment on future phones or plans. but nothing says you can't surf the web >hint hint< and look for stuff)

-Your plan specifics. (this is straight up against policy and the law)

-How to "get around" stuff questions. (My suggestion to all of you when you have a customer service person on the phone. Ask alot of questions! Make them look it up if they are not sure! )This is just being a responsible consumer. I'm sure you all knew this.
    Nothing is being hidden regarding 3G. It is frustrating, I am fully aware, but there is no deception going on. The network is running, and it has been since Thursday. That was when it launched officially. It launched to the *public* on Sunday. And, the plans for data access were not available in *any* part of the country before Sunday to consumers, only for testing and marketing purposes, which confuses me as you said that you have had the access since last Thursday. At that time, it was clocking 100kbs on the wireless modem cards.

When I say I have no problems, it was not intentionally vague. I was stating that when I connect to the wireless web, I do not have to sit and wait for each page to load, and it is not painfully slow. I have not tried to dial in on an actual dial-in account other than what is provided by PCS. I have had a miriad of signal strengths, from full to 1 bar. Aside from the initial complications some people are having in provisioning the web for the Treo, everyone that I personally work with that use Treos (a great many) love its usage and have no complaints. However, there is, as with any type of wireless service provided, the possibility of singular issues that can be unsatisfactory. It can be investigated by technicians, by putting through a trouble ticket with the tech support reps, but the network is running at the original expectations, which should not be misconstrued as "vague." It was expected to run at a max of 144kbs (in a perfect world) and less than that in an imperfect world. But not at 1kbs. That is not a problem I have heard of before your post, and if everything has been set up correctly, it should not be happening. That's all I can say. There has been no misrepresentation of the network. And, as the post further below yours notes, unlimited data free was never promised, and it was never marketed as such.

Again, I appreciate the frustration factor involved. The launch is the first nationwide launch of 3G in America, and there are going to be growing pains and adjustments. Personally, I have posted here in an attempt to help alleviate concerns and questions regarding these adjustments, not as a representative of Sprint, but as a personal individual sympathizing with the problems at hand. I am sorry if that leads my "believability" to be questioned.

The upgrade this weekend is for account systems, just a standard update. Nothing to be concerned about as far as the network or ability to use phones is concerned.
    Sprint has NEVER promised unlimited data for the first three months
    They did to me. Three times. The first time, they wouldn't even allow me to get a higher data rate plan "because the first three months are unlimted".

I'm not saying that the first three months are unlimited. You are quite possibly correct. But you are wrong when you say sprint never promised unlimited data.
    Originally posted by paz5559
    Sprint has NEVER promised unlimited data for the first three months ... what they promised was that data would be free for the first three months. Free unlimited data is wishfull thinking.

I went to several Sprint stores in the New York metropolitan area. What is free is the differential cost of data over voice only plans for the three month period:

2MB -> $10 service credit
    8MB -> $20 service credit
    20MB -> $40 service credit

The data only plans are available at the website listed below. Please note, there are no unlimited plans

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/se...CTED_PLAN_INFO<>PlanFilterSelection=dataOnly|basic3GFreeClear|advanced3GFreeClear|3G&SelectedFilter=3
    It's difficult to calm down when you sign up and are told you get unlimited data use for 3 months, then the "official word" if you believe the people on this site are actually from Sprint" becomes no unlimited data. It would be interesting to see evidence they really work there.

When they recorded my acceptance of the plan I made sure to verify the unlimited data during the recording. I notice Sprint has changed it's website ad regarding the "unlimited data" from the screen shot and html copies I saved before signing up which indicated unlimited data for the first three months. I'm actually quite calm, I work with a group of 10 attornies and we have a large contract with Sprint that falls in their National Account group.
    PCMusician

Have you tried calling cust svc, and verifying (with a supervisior) that you have unlimited data?

*2 wait time is down. could be worth a try. I'm curious what answer you get.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    If I can make a suggestion, rather than getting a CSR or Supervisor to TELL you, GET IT IT WRITTING. That way, when they bill you for your overage, you have a leg to stand on when you challenge the bill.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast