Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    good suggestion. I guess i assume too much of csr to know or understand something so basic even when I ask to repeat themselves three times with three different people
    Originally posted by Bobacus
    O.K. guys calm down.

The above guy was acurate about what he discussed. If some of us seem cryptic, it's because their are questions you guys ask that are in that "gray" area we can't comment about.

Here are the Facts:

1. No unlimited for first 3 months. PERIOD!

2. When it comes to signal speed, most people will get the 50-70 kps. Their are so many factors that go into wireless data connections it's insane. Are you roaming?(signal fluctuation) Do you have signal strength? (Data streaming) How powerful is you device? (processing) Is the network full? (we have had alot of activations the past 4 days. this taxes the network)

3.It would probrally be best to hold off this weekend to call. You may not get what you need. try next week. My suggestion to you is to try very early or very late.

4. The 3g technology is broken up into "waves". Wave 1(which we are in now) promises 50-100 kps. wave 2 (in a few years) promises somewhere around 1-2mb bps. Wave 3 (probrally around 2k5) 4-6mb bps. The wave three i have personal doubts about, but hey. 5 years ago they said 3g was impossible

5. Plan questions are hard for me to answer. Since I'm at home, plus I'm not sure if that isn't in the old "gray" area.

BTW: Most of the techs are aware of this site and some have commented to me about it. So we are watching.
    Bob,

Thanks for your continued posting and devotion to this forum. We truly do appreciate it no matter how irate we sound.

I have to continue to respectfully disagree with you though -- I have not seen a single person post here that they are getting anywhere close to 50 to 70kbps. We are all getting around 10kbps. I honestly think there is something very wrong with 3g. Can you report these findings to some of the higher level tech people and let them know? I don't think that 3g is working properly, except for maybe the 3g techs -- perhaps this is because you are in a heavily "upgraded" part of the country and have better 3g equipment there? I don't really know the answer but the facts are that nobody here is getting 50 to 70k. I only wish we were. I'd be the first to post here in a heartbead even if I could get 30kbps.
    Check out the firewire tests

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=25804

Even an ***** like I am able to get 40kbps.

So why crummy web access? Either there's an issue with sprint's IP network (maybe thats the "fix" this weekend"), or maybe blazer blows. But these tests seem to indicate that the data network itself is running as advertised
    Originally posted by dionymnia
    Nothing is being hidden regarding 3G. It is frustrating, I am fully aware, but there is no deception going on. The network is running, and it has been since Thursday. That was when it launched officially. It launched to the *public* on Sunday. And, the plans for data access were not available in *any* part of the country before Sunday to consumers, only for testing and marketing purposes, which confuses me as you said that you have had the access since last Thursday. At that time, it was clocking 100kbs on the wireless modem cards.

>> Thursday night, I activated SPCS With Vision, $89.99 per month, add a phone. 800 anytime, 5200 night and weekend, 8 megs of data. The SPCS rep I spoke to looked up the plan and signed me up. I was able to access wireless data after 2 hours, though it was slow.

When I say I have no problems, it was not intentionally vague. I was stating that when I connect to the wireless web, I do not have to sit and wait for each page to load, and it is not painfully slow. I have not tried to dial in on an actual dial-in account other than what is provided by PCS. I have had a miriad of signal strengths, from full to 1 bar. Aside from the initial complications some people are having in provisioning the web for the Treo, everyone that I personally work with that use Treos (a great many) love its usage and have no complaints. However, there is, as with any type of wireless service provided, the possibility of singular issues that can be unsatisfactory. It can be investigated by technicians, by putting through a trouble ticket with the tech support reps, but the network is running at the original expectations, which should not be misconstrued as "vague." It was expected to run at a max of 144kbs (in a perfect world) and less than that in an imperfect world. But not at 1kbs. That is not a problem I have heard of before your post, and if everything has been set up correctly, it should not be happening. That's all I can say. There has been no misrepresentation of the network. And, as the post further below yours notes, unlimited data free was never promised, and it was never marketed as such.

>> Thanks for responding to this more clearly. Still, can you more specifically tell me what kinds of data throughput rates you regularly receive, on average, using Blazer and your Treo 300? Also, as you state, 1 k byte per second is not how this network is intended to function, and I realize you have never heard this before my posting... however, there are at least 20 other users (and I'm being way optimistic on that figure) here who have posted the EXACT same thing I have stated. We are all getting 1kbps -- NOBODY has gotten anywhere near 100, or for that matter even close to 40kbps. I am telling you, we are all telling you, that 3g is NOT working. It might be working for you, and it might be working for every single person you know. But for the 20 to 100 people posting to this forum, it is not working at all -- as defined by you saying that 1 kbps is not how the network was intended to function. It is functioning in this way, please I am begging you -- we all are -- point some of the high end techs to this board so they can read the posts. There is something very, very wrong with 3g. I swear to you that the hundreds of us here have a LOT of better things to do with their time besides rant about Sprint or make up stories about their bandwidth not being fast enough. This is not a minor issue of being just slightly too slow, or of lag, or of latency... We are talking about sustained, very slow, and very consistent throughput never reaching more than 1.4 to 1.5 k BYTEs per second, usually averaging from 700 bps to 1 kbyte per second. Trust me, I've worked with computers for a long time, this is not lag or latency, it's something else entirely. Something is not right.

Again, I appreciate the frustration factor involved. The launch is the first nationwide launch of 3G in America, and there are going to be growing pains and adjustments. Personally, I have posted here in an attempt to help alleviate concerns and questions regarding these adjustments, not as a representative of Sprint, but as a personal individual sympathizing with the problems at hand. I am sorry if that leads my "believability" to be questioned.

>> Don't get me wrong, we all sincerely appreciate your posting here. Any information we can get, at all, from Sprint or even just average every day people is appreciated and welcomed here. Please don't go away just because people like myself tend to be assholes sometimes

The upgrade this weekend is for account systems, just a standard update. Nothing to be concerned about as far as the network or ability to use phones is concerned.
    Argh! Guys, please watch the long URLs that force the forum pages to an unreasonable width. Page 2 in this thread is too wide for a 1280x1024 desktop display -- must be nightmarish viewed on a Treo. This forum software has a feature to ellide long URLs with "...", but paz5559, the URL you posted wasn't automatically recognized because it contains "<>" characters (which are actually illegal unescaped in URLs -- shame on Sprint's webmasters).

The safest and most friendly way to post long URLs is to use the {url=url_you_want_to_post}url description{/url} syntax, except with square brackets instead of curly braces, like this (that's the URL you tried to post, paz). You can click on the "[help]" link next to "vBvBvB $Code$&$quot$; $when$ $posting$ $for$ $more$ $on$ $the$ $forum$ $syntax$.

Note that with the "edit" button you can always go back and fix a post if it didn't turn out right.

Moving on, work_permit writes:

Check out the firewire tests
    This had me really confused as to how you could plug a 1394 cable into a Treo. You mean fireviewer.
    Originally posted by shaun
    This may sound really stupid but I want to make sure I am reading my Treo correctly.

When you are downloading a page, the number at the bottom represents what? The speed of download or how much total data has been downloaded for that page?
    It's the size of the page, not the speed. I think a lot of people are confusing that number for "3G speeds." In fact, how are people measuring their speeds?
    It's the size of the page, not the speed. I think a lot of people are confusing that number for "3G speeds." In fact, how are people measuring their speeds?
    They're looking at the page size. You are right, this is an optimistic assesment of the sppeds we are getting. So, when I download a 8kbyte page in 10 seconds, and say I got 64 kilobits in 10 seconds or 6.4kbps, I'm being optimistic. The real data throughput is worse.

BTW, I did mean fireviewer. I guess compared to blazer, it felt like firewire
    Last edited by work_permit; 08/15/2002 at 11:51 PM.
    Originally posted by MobileDave

You can basically estimate the amount of time it takes to load a page of a given size as measured by Blazer.

For example -- it takes blazer 50 seconds to load a 50kb page.

That's 1kb per second.
  9.    #29  
    If you want to test your speed try going here:

http://www.bandwidthplace.com/

You can try a test to see what your getting.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Originally posted by doctorc

You can basically estimate the amount of time it takes to load a page of a given size as measured by Blazer.

For example -- it takes blazer 50 seconds to load a 50kb page.

That's 1kb per second.
    No, Dr. C, actually, it isnt -- Please do not take this as a sign of disrespect, but you all do realize there is a difference (ie a factor of 8) between kilobits per second and kiloBYTES per second, right? A dial-up 56K modem can achieve speeds no greater than 6-7 kbs, and typically no more than 3-5 -- when you watch the numbers roll by (I have had blaer and a dial-up connection for about 2 years now, and let me tell you, this is not as fast as you might think)

So if you are loading a 200 kb page, please dont anticipate, even in the 50-70kbs world that Sprint suggests will be typical, it will still take you 30 to 50 seconds to load that page. That is not slow, that IS the speed a 56k modem achieves.
    That speedtest page doesn't work on my Treo 300. It loads the intermediate page but then doesn't advance to the next. Anyone got a working site to check download speeds?
    Originally posted by Bobacus
    If you want to test your speed try going here:

http://www.bandwidthplace.com/

You can try a test to see what your getting.
    Bob, thanks This will be helpful to all of us. Ok everyone, get over to the site and post your bandwidth results here
    Great site!! I tested it on my laptop first. I am on a cable connection with an in house 2.4 Ghz wireless 80211 PCMCIA card. I tested it four times, here are the results:

159.9 Megabits which is 19.1 Megabytes per second, 0.1 sec for 1 Meg file. (something wrong here !!!)
    1.4 Megabits, 172.1 Megabytes, 5.9 seconds
    1.4, 166, 6.2
    1.5, 177.2, and 5.8

So now on to the Treo...

I tried with Both Blazer and Eudora Web. I was unable to complete the test in either browser. It just goes to "test in progress..." and never does anything else. Am I doing something wrong? I am using the low bandwith test for mobil devices.

Is anyone else having this trouble???
    Sully
    Boston, MA
    Treo 650 and 700
    Former Treo 300 and 600 Owner
    I believe this to be a reliable bandwidth checking site:
    http://colearn.com/configtest/TEST1_5.htm
    As near as I can tell, Blazar does not support HTML redirect, so any page that auto redirects (like every bandwidth checking URL posted in this thread so far) doesn't work. I simply gets stuck on the "testing" page.
    bummer .... does xiino support html redirect?
    Try

http://www.cnet.com/internetservices/g/bm/

in Xiino. Won't give you a real number, just un unprintable download page, but time it. Seems to get me up around 30-40kbps.
    alright guys. while i can understand what you are complaining about your results quite different from mine.

first, to answer the unlimited question. sprint is offering an unlimited data plan for $99. with three months $50 off. that means for the first 3 months, your unlimited (i said unlimited again) plan costs only $49. i am know that this is being offered in the business channel, but do not know if this is being sold through retail. i have no idea where some people have been getting their information (especially the "sprint pcs" people) but 3G was launched with an unlimited plan through the business channel and there are no plans to remove it.

as for data speeds,... your speed will vary based on network congestion and signal strength more than anything else. but one thing that was left off (or i missed it) in similar posts, voice calls are the number one problem for data speeds. voice still has priority on sprint's network. data speeds will drop exponentially when the towers start filling up with people.

don't worry, i read the earlier posts about calling at all hours of the day and night and getting the same results with full signal strength. but i just have a hard time believing that you are still getting slow speeds. i have traveled from coast to coast the last two weeks and averaged 70-90k. this includes airports, hotels, and sitting in a car during rush hour traffic. i was able to get a burst rate of 866k on www.toast.net and a burst rate of 642k on www. bandwidthplace.com.

all these tests were done with the merlin connection card, not a phone. speed is not an issue that i have seen. for anyone not getting these results, i would recommend that you call customer care and have them make sure your card is programmed correctly. several people i know have had to take this step as their cards were programmed incorrectly. but with goofy software, their problem was a lack of connectivity, not slow speeds.

if you have any questions about my post, please let me know. if you have trouble finding a local business sales rep let me know and i can probably find someone to help.

homer
    Originally posted by the_homer
    alright guys. while i can understand what you are complaining about your results quite different from mine.

first, to answer the unlimited question. sprint is offering an unlimited data plan for $99. with three months $50 off. that means for the first 3 months, your unlimited (i said unlimited again) plan costs only $49. i am know that this is being offered in the business channel, but do not know if this is being sold through retail. i have no idea where some people have been getting their information (especially the "sprint pcs" people) but 3G was launched with an unlimited plan through the business channel and there are no plans to remove it.

as for data speeds,... your speed will vary based on network congestion and signal strength more than anything else. but one thing that was left off (or i missed it) in similar posts, voice calls are the number one problem for data speeds. voice still has priority on sprint's network. data speeds will drop exponentially when the towers start filling up with people.

don't worry, i read the earlier posts about calling at all hours of the day and night and getting the same results with full signal strength. but i just have a hard time believing that you are still getting slow speeds. i have traveled from coast to coast the last two weeks and averaged 70-90k. this includes airports, hotels, and sitting in a car during rush hour traffic. i was able to get a burst rate of 866k on www.toast.net and a burst rate of 642k on www. bandwidthplace.com.

all these tests were done with the merlin connection card, not a phone. speed is not an issue that i have seen. for anyone not getting these results, i would recommend that you call customer care and have them make sure your card is programmed correctly. several people i know have had to take this step as their cards were programmed incorrectly. but with goofy software, their problem was a lack of connectivity, not slow speeds.

if you have any questions about my post, please let me know. if you have trouble finding a local business sales rep let me know and i can probably find someone to help.

homer
    Homer, thanks for the information. It appears that you are getting considerably better results with an actual PCS data card vs. the Treo 300. Perhaps it is the Palm OS or Blazer that is the bottleneck.
    There is an unlimited plan that is $50 for the first 3 months and then $99.99 after the 3 months. WITH OUT DOUBT THIS PLAN EXISTS.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast