Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here is a thread I'm dedicating to treo fixes. Post here if you hav a question on a fix.

Some info:

-Blazer does not support 128 bit encryption. This is why certain email and sites won't work for you. you may have to go with a diffrent browser. Be warned. sprint and Handspring don't support 3rd party software so keep that in mind

-I have seen alot of threads blaming "slowdown" on Blazer. This isn't true. Like I said in a previous post: It's all about Location and signal strength. Period.

-Always sync and back up your treo anytime you decide to add software. This is if the new program is corrupt, you at least have that file to go back to after you hard reset.

ANy questions? Just post em! (can't promise a quick response)
    Originally posted by Bobacus
    -Blazer does not support 128 bit encryption. This is why certain email and sites won't work for you. you may have to go with a diffrent browser. Be warned. sprint and Handspring don't support 3rd party software so keep that in mind
    I don't know about the Eudora browser, but Xiino supports 128-bit encryption and Javascript (at least somewhat), so it's likely to have a higher compatibility with certain sites I'd imagine.

Also, I'm not sure if the Blazer browser supports frames (need to try this), but Xiino does.
    Last edited by Dibrom; 08/15/2002 at 03:38 AM.
    Originally posted by doctorc (in the thread entitled "Family Plan / Add a Phone *IMPORTANT*")

Holy cow, as a correction to this post, anothe 10 minutes on hold and the SPCS rep comes back to me and gives me the following info. He assures me this info is true and correct. Here is the "true" information according to SPCS Rep one Million that I have spoken to:

SPCS does *NOT* charge an add a phone fee for the FIRST phone that you add to your account -- AS LONG as you have MEGABYTES on your plan (any amount of megabytes).

They *DO* charge for the addition of any other phones beyond the first add a phone.

Now, the catch is, (and this is where many of you may get caught so I'd call back SPCS to be sure) that in order for you to NOT get charged for the first addd a phone, SPCS reps need to set it up a "special way" so that you are not billed for the add a phone on your first add a phone.

I had my account originally set up this way, but then an uninformed SPCS rep (oxymoron?) "un-setup" the account and put it back to the "old way" where you DO get charged a $20 add a phone fee.

I suspect that many SPCS reps are accidentally setting up add-a-phones in an incorrect way. Basically the "new" add a phone setup requires SPCS reps to set up the add-a-phone as if it were also a "primary" phone so that you don't get billed the add a phone fee for it. Most SPCS reps are probably setting up your add a phone as a 'secondary' phone so you will be billed the extra $20 for it.

Take home message: NO CHARGE for add a phone (up to 1 additional phone) as long as you have PCS Vision with Data.

BUT -- you need to absolutely be sure that the SPCS rep you are speaking with sets up your second add a phone in the correct way so that you are not charged for it. Many (including the guy I just spoke to) were not / are not aware of this and are probably setting up your second phones the wrong way.

I urge you to call back to double check that you are set up correctly, and to "share the knowledge" with your SPCS rep, so to speak.
    I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind for this thread, but here goes anyway. I have questions about the cost, if any, for the second phone on a "shared minutes" plan.

In the the above person's case, he was able to get 500 ANYTIME/4000 NW/2MB for 2 phones at $44.95. He said he could have gotten 8MB for $15 more.

My questions:

I bought today 2 Treo 300's at a Sprint store in San Jose, CA, and the customer service representative (or whatever they're called) ended up charging me $20 a month for the second phone. I didn't realize this until I got home and checked online. (The receipts were very long and seemingly detailed, but didn't spell this out.) To be exact, I got 350 ANYTIME/3650 NW/2MB for 2 phones at $69.99. I thought I was getting that deal for $49.99.

(a) So, what is the real story about second phones? Is the second phone supposed to be free of monthly charges as long as the shared plan has megabytes on it? And, if it is indeed supposed to be free, can you help me fix my account? I don't relish having to jump from CSR to CSR on the phone until I get one that can help me.

(b) Why did the above person get at better deal, even ignoring the second phone issue? He got more minutes (4500 in total vs my 4000) at a lower price ($44.95 vs my $49.99). Is this a regional price difference, or could anyone get the same kind of deal?

Thanks in advance for your help in figuring this out.
    Just one of the reasons I've been requesting people to get the name and extension of the CSRs they talk with at Sprint.

I've also seen:

800 AT/5200NW/8MB/2yr committment: $69 (for two phones)

Everyone, please get the CSRs name and extension if you can.

Thx,
    nobull
    i did not get the CS rep's name but i did get the
    $69 800/5200 8 MB plan 2 yr commitment

My rep said I could add up to FIVE phones on this plan with NO extra charges whatsoever. And I said that into the recorded agreement for the plan....that I was agreeing to this plan contingent upon being able to have five other phones no charges.

I'd suggest people make sure they read back the conditions during the portion of the activation with a CS rep where they tell you they are recording you.
    Here is a thread I'm dedicating to treo fixes. Post here if you hav a question on a fix.

Some info:

-I have seen alot of threads blaming "slowdown" on Blazer. This isn't true. Like I said in a previous post: It's all about Location and signal strength. Period.

>> Bob -- does this mean that ever single Sprint PCS user on this forum is either in the wrong location or has poor signal strength? Because NONE of us are getting anywhere near 50 to 70kbps. I'm not trying to be a sarcastic jerk here, I'm just trying to find out why SPCS (and yourself) insist that this technology provides 50 to 70kbps throughput when it clearly does not. (I had to laugh out loud last night when I saw the SPCS commercial for 3g with the guy standing in the planetarium showing people how they could instantly send pictures to each other).

-Always sync and back up your treo anytime you decide to add software. This is if the new program is corrupt, you at least have that file to go back to after you hard reset.

ANy questions? Just post em! (can't promise a quick response)
    Originally posted by nobull
    Just one of the reasons I've been requesting people to get the name and extension of the CSRs they talk with at Sprint.

I've also seen:

800 AT/5200NW/8MB/2yr committment: $69 (for two phones)

Everyone, please get the CSRs name and extension if you can.

Thx,
    nobull
    Nobull, this is the plan I had before I switched to the $44.95 one, so I can also confirm that this indeed exists and is "real" -- all you have to do is give the SPCS rep the specific plan details and they can look it up.

Unfortunately SPCS reps are pretty lost at this point and I've been told there are actually over 50 differnt plans out there right now, so they have a hard time "seeing" all of them when you call to sign up.

As to the other person's post - the SPCS reps at the local store here in DC seem to be fairly low on the intellectual food chain. I'd call *2 and see if you can get someone who knows what they are doing (good luck on that too).
    Originally posted by dmw819

My rep said I could add up to FIVE phones on this plan with NO extra charges whatsoever. And I said that into the recorded agreement for the plan....that I was agreeing to this plan contingent upon being able to have five other phones no charges.

I'd suggest people make sure they read back the conditions during the portion of the activation with a CS rep where they tell you they are recording you.
    According to what I've been told that SPCS rep who quoted you 5 more phones at no additional cost was wrong (or maybe the person who talked to me was wrong).

The story according to the SPCS rep I talked to is: There is no additional charge for the first add-a-phone on ANY plan with data. But, for any more than one additional phone you'll be charged $20 per each additional phone beyond the first add-a-phone.

Might want to call and double check with another SPCS rep on this. I doubt you got the real story (or maybe I didn't?)
    Originally posted by dmw819

P.S. They've never told me they were recording me... ever.
    there is a part of activation where you are asked to say your full name, contact info, and that you agree to the terms of the contract, and they tell you they are recording that part.
    Might be a stupid question, but do the additional phones on the account have the same phone numbers???
    Might be a stupid question, but do the additional phones on the account have the same phone numbers???
    Originally posted by bluehorizons
    All phones have unique phone numbers.
    1. When will www.sprintpcs.com work from blazer
    2. When will the shortmail URL work from blazer
    3. I have a $99 5000 minute 20MB plan, w/2 phones
    With my Sanyo 4700 I can do voice command, when I go to www.talk.sprintpcs.com and enter in the number for my Treo 300 I get (using IE6 and WinXP fwiw):

The voice command System has encountered the following error:

Error Code 1143

Error Text Please retry using another MIN or contact Customer Support for assistance.

What does this mean?
    I'm not receiving Business Connection personal edition pushes. I have smart sync and allow mail pushes checked on my palm client for Business Connection, and I have alerts set to on on the website in both places. The website mail is alsways current so I know the mail is getting to the site. The Palm BC client, for some reason, doesn't get the pushes. What should I check first ? Is their a tier two for Business Connection ?

Also, when push starts working, what form of notification should I get for pushed mail ?

Some info:

I don't know where you are getting this info, but Blazer was the first browser as I know to support 128 bit SSL encryption. From the Blazer homepage off Handspring. http://www.handspring.com/software/b...overview.jhtml

"Safe and secure
    Blazer 2.0 incorporates 128bit SSL encryption technology to provide safe access to secure web sites. That means you can use Blazer to access web-based email, make purchases, and access personal accounts and informationówithout worrying about your data's privacy (or your own). "

For speed, one thing that people have to remember is that the latencys of a wireless network are huge. Data is going from your phone to a tower to the spritn data center (?) to a balzer server at handspring, and THAN to your webapge, and than ALL the way back. The curent version of blazer AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $is$ $NOT$ $optimized$ $for$ $3G$.... $I$ $have$ $head$ $rumors$ $that$ $they$ $are$ $working$ $on$ $one$ $that$ $is$, $but$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $know$ $how$ $they$ $would$ $do$ $that$.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  17.    #17  
    Some answers for iggy:

-gotta change your browser. sprintpcs.com is 128 bit encoded. Blazer doesn't support it.( this pretty much answers questions 2 and 3)

With my Sanyo 4700 I can do voice command, when I go to www.talk.sprintpcs.com and enter in the number for my Treo 300 I get (using IE6 and WinXP fwiw):

Error Code 1143

Error Text Please retry using another MIN or contact Customer Support for assistance.

What does this mean?

-is voice command on your plan? You may need it.
    Thanks for your reply!

re: #1 and #2

http://www.handspring.com/software/b...overview.jhtml
    "Safe and secure
    Blazer 2.0 incorporates 128bit SSL encryption technology to provide safe access to secure web sites."

re: #3 Voice command is part of the Free and Clear with Vision plan. It works for the phone # associated with my Sanyo 4700, but not my Treo300 (they share an account).

Any thoughts?

Some answers for iggy:

-gotta change your browser. sprintpcs.com is 128 bit encoded. Blazer doesn't support it.( this pretty much answers questions 2 and 3)

Error Code 1143

What does this mean?

-is voice command on your plan? You may need it.
  19.    #19  
    answers (sort of0 for cybersam):

The answer to the add a phone thing is it depends what plan you get. It is hard for me to talk about plans (I'm at home and don't have them here). But I can tell you what to ask for. You want the free and clear add-a-phone plan. I believe(this is from memory mind you) that their is an add a phone plan for around $100. you get the first added phone(after the primary) for no additional charge, 2000 anytime min(shared) and around 8mb data (not shared each phone gets 8mb). Also for $10 more you can add PCS to PCS or more NW (don't ask me how many, I don't remember.) This is the deal that eally stuck out to me.

Hope that helps you out.
  20.    #20  
    Sorry iggy (and others) I suggest you all read your users guide, literature and boxes VERY carefully. From what I've been told the 128 encryption on the blazer is not "true" 128. It is not the standard most websites have.

Also on th vc thing. Bolth phones must have vc. They do not share that option. It is a phone specific thing. sorry.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast